1911 45 builds from scratch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1911 45 builds from scratch

Okay I have lurked here for years finally joined.I've been seeing all of incredible projects that you guys come up with and felling quite inept to say the least.I've been beating myself up quit a bit over it. Then it dawn on me I can do something!

For several years I wanted a 1911 45 ACP,a NICE one. Looked into building my own and there was no way I could build one cheaper that buying one so I shelved the idea for a year or two. Then one day I said the H--L with it go for it and I jumped in head first. here are the steps I took with the prices I built two but I'll start with the 5" GOVT. model.

I bought a slide kit that included a slide barrel and all the parts to build one for $189.00 from a company named SARCO. The slide is supposed to be a Rock Island Armory but is un marked parkerized and has nice sights not the GI ones

Next I bought a stainless frame from Caspian Arms they have a line of Blems under the name Foster and like $40 bucks cheaper. It was around $150plus the shipping and FFL. That's how i went figuring if I screwed it up no big deal. I got the frame from my FFL and was amazed of the quality if it had a blem we couldn't see it.

Then I got a set of small jewelers files off E-BAY for like $12. I already had a DREMEL!!! If you go to ANY1911 forum this is Taboo!!! if you use a Dremel The World will stop rotating! I have calipers as well a must have.

Armed with my tools and a cold beer I went to work at my coffee table in the living room. The rails are oversized on purpose and must be made to fit the slide. It must be done evenly on both sides. I needed to take off about .020 to get started. File check,file check,file check. After an hour or two and several beers I busted out the Dremel and in a couple of minutes I was getting it to start. I messed up a little and should have taped off the frame under where I was working.I slipped once and put a small beauty mark on her.
    I kept at it a while and got it on about 3/4 the way. I then went to my shop and got some valve lapping compound using the course first then fine. slide 100 times clean,replace,repeat. After 1 million 957 strokes and driving my wife nuts I had it smooth as glass.

I'm not gonna go into every painful detail but there is other spots that need filing. You'll figure it out if you do it. It took me around 2 nights to get ready for a test run. I mixed up a blob of grease and lapping compound and greased her up good focusing on the rails. I use my handguns for defense and don't want it so tight that it's not reliable. So out the back door we go. The first clip I had a couple of jams, FTE etc. 2nd one a little better, some mag malfuntions. I'm a cheapskate so of course I bought the cheapest I could get. After the 4th mag she was running pretty good.
    Brought it in the house cleaned worked on the feed ramp some regreased. still pretty tight. Next go round running good locking back on the last round and all. Figured out which mags where bad. I can't think of the brand right now but the folks made them for the ARMY.ordered 3. Got her running good on those after about 100 rounds. next is the TEST so I can feel confident enough to carry this hunk of steel, She's heavy dude. The MEN that carried these in to battle where just that REAL MEN.
    The test is 200 rounds of factory ammo with no hiccups. None of my reloads!!! Passed first go round.
    I took to the range and a kid said "man that Kimber is sweet" I smiled and said "son you don't even know"Click image for larger version

Name:	left both (640x480).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	500.6 KB
ID:	25259184
    I got a lot of joy doing this so much that I built another Officer model with a 3.5" Bull barrel next. I'll update on that later.Gonna try to figure out how to post pictures now. Govt. on the bottom.

Click image for larger version

Name:	left both (640x480).jpg
Size:	500.6 KB
ID:	25259184

Name:	right both (640x480).jpg
Size:	541.4 KB
ID:	25259185
    Last edited by kwarw; 09-02-2021, 11:00 AM.

Nice job great lookin 1911's

Comment

One more pic and a tip.If you let your wife shoot it load em HOT that way she won't want to claim it!!! Lesson learned from letting her shoot my 357 with 38 target loads.

Name:	govt open (640x480).jpg
Size:	521.0 KB
ID:	24661408

Comment

Originally posted by kcmarullo View Post
        Nice job great lookin 1911's
        Thanks it was fun an ADDICTIVE!! I' wanting a 38 SUPER so bad. I've got to restrain myself.

Comment

Oh crap. I wish I didn't see this. Good job.

Comment

Originally posted by kevin nicholls View Post
            Oh crap. I wish I didn't see this. Good job.
            I read a thread about a guy getting about killed by a boar hog. Messed him up good. I was thinking a guy down there could make his wife read that pics and all and say "Honey I'm Skeered" That might just work LOL. I tell ya what if I was around all the hogs you guys got I wouldn't get out of the truck without one.Cause I AM SKEERED!!!

Comment

So about how much $$$ are you into each one total

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Good job on the guns but I have never seen a 1911 that used clips, magazines only in a 1911.

Comment

Great write up. I'm ready for the officer model now.

Comment

Probably less than or around $500 on the Govt. Less on the officer only cause I caught a great deal on the slide at Sarco 44.99! no bull. The Govt hasn't got much love since the Officer got finished. And is my winter carry piece in a shoulder rig.The problem is I'm **** and want to tweak and tweak. So like new better springs,etc. Try this and that,it's an addictive thing. A visit to the EGW website will cost you some bucks they got some really nice stuff.

Yes your right it's a magazine you are correct.I addition to being cheap I'm lazy as well clip is 3 letters shorter!
                    Thanks for your replies guys.A guy on a budget could do this like Johnny Cash and slip it in under the radar so to speak. Then when she sees it it's like that old thing, I've had for years like that new blouse she has on!!!

I forgot to mention I bought some different shaped stones from round to square, flat,etc. coarse to super fine for the finish work.Got a bunch in an E-BAY auction used for around $35.00
                    Last edited by kwarw; 09-02-2021, 03:54 PM. Reason: omission

Comment

I've been wanting an officer model for many years. This would be a great winter project.
                      Thanks for the idea.

Comment

Did you get a book or video on building one or just jump in?

Comment

Originally posted by kcnatural View Post
                          I've been wanting an officer model for many years. This would be a great winter project.
                          Thanks for the idea.
                          Dude you don't know Caspian can hook you up! Wait till I get to it cause I made some mistakes on that one. I'll detail it when I get there,and you right perfect winter project. They have a recon model with a rail that you can put a light, laser,etc on. Perfect nightstand gun.

Comment

Originally posted by wilded View Post
                            Did you get a book or video on building one or just jump in?
                            No I didn't all of the forums say it's a must have. There is so much info online that I didn't need it one of the hardest parts it's CAREFULLY filing the thunbb safety to get it JUST right! cut to much and it's toast so order TWO.

Comment

Sounds great, thanks for the help.

Comment

Working...
                              X