Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

.270 for elk and my first centerfire rifle purchase.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

.270 for elk and my first centerfire rifle purchase.

Other than the muzzleloader I recently bought, I have inherited all my rifles and have never bought one of my own.

I'm not much of a rifle hunter, but am going to start with a few trips and animals. I've settled on the Browning X-bolt in .270 caliber. I'm planning on using it for my elk hunt next year. I read an article by Boddington arguing that a .270 is ideal for mountain sheep as well.

I struggled for a long time deciding between the .270 and .30-06, about as much as it's been debated for decades but alas there I am heading.

Lastly I do have a Remington 600 mohawk in .308, but my concern for taking that on the elk hunt is the short barrel as designed.

Nothing wrong with that choice-- use a quality bullet- I know there is a member on here getting 150gr Partitions over 2900 I believe and that would be well suited for an elk.

Comment

Trailing a shot elk at 10K feet without a bloodtrail going through mountain timber is no small feat. Been there. It will work but if I ever go back I will take something that will pass THROUGH an elk.

If you are on horseback or with a guide it shouldn't be as big of an issue.

Comment

Accubonds or partitions will do the trick out of a .270 just fine for elk.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Comment

Buy a box of Barnes TTSX and kill elk with confidence.

Comment

.270 will be fine.

Comment

That is a fine rifle and a fine cartridge Jeremy, get good optics and good ammo to go with it. 130-140 grain bullets is all you need for sheep, elk, deer, and pronghorn. You will not be disappointed in that choice and neither will your guides. Classic round

Comment

Originally posted by freerhunter16 View Post
                Buy a box of Barnes TTSX and kill elk with confidence.
                This is what I’m taking this year and they shoot sub moa out of my .270 . I’ve shot it out to 400 and she’s deadly .

Comment

Have taken 4 elk with a .270. The right bullet can do the job but not much room for error.

Comment

Have shot close to a dozen elk with my old Interarms .270, some close and some over 400 yds and never had one go more than a few yards. It is a great caliber, just find ammo that is accurate out of your gun.

Comment

I think its a good choice. The 270 works!

Comment

I was in your same boat about 7 years ago. I went with the 06 because there are some out fitters that want 30 cal or bigger. I think the 270 will be fine. I have shot some massive hogs with one.

Comment

1. Get a good bullet
                          2. Do NOT take a questionable shot

Comment

I've seen some big bulls killed with a 270! Just pick your shots and don't stop shooting till he's down.

Comment

Originally posted by Paycheck View Post
                              I was in your same boat about 7 years ago. I went with the 06 because there are some out fitters that want 30 cal or bigger. I think the 270 will be fine. I have shot some massive hogs with one.
                              I agree with this, the 270 should be fine with the right bullet and if you are comfortable and proficient with it. However, it is my understanding also that a few outfitters require a 30 caliber. Just might want to check.

You mentioned that you are uncomfortable with the 308 due to its short barrel, although you didn't mention how long it is. The 308 is one of those calibers that performs well in a short barrel. Sure, you lose a little bit of velocity with a shorter barrel but with the right bullet and load (power), and accurate drop data, this should make little difference in a hunting situation at reasonable distances. You also get better barrel rigidity with shorter barrels.

Comment

Working...
                              X