Aoudad recipes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Auodad

We wanted to try for ourselves and turned out great, burgers, steaks, and sausage. Meat looks good. I have heard some say they smell or taste bad, normally these two things go together. I wouldn’t try to cook anything that smelled bad in the field. All of ours have been clean and meat color looked good.

Comment

The best jerky I’ve ever had was Audad.

Comment

Try this recipe

Ok, good thing I didn't check back because I would have questioned trying this recipe. The rest of the meat was ground up into burger already.
        This recipe is from Remington's Sportsman Wild Game Cookbook, printed in 1968. I gave it a try because I have heard similar stories of moose meat.

Wild Game Ragout (pronounced Ragoo, in case you are from East Texas)
        3# of any big game roast meat (elk, antelope, moose, deer, caribou ~ you get the idea)
        3 Tablespoons of Olive Oil
        3 large onions, chopped
        5 garlic cloves crushed
        1/2# bacon, chopped
        1 teaspoon curry powder
        1 can tomato soup, undiluted
        1-1/2 quarts of water (I used significantly less)
        2 teaspoons of bourbon (I used a 1/4 cup - what's the point of 2 teaspoons?)
        1/4 cup of beer
        1 Tablespoon of salt
        1/2# of fresh mushrooms

Cut meat into cubes about 1-1/2" square. Heat oil in large pot or skillet. Add meat, bacon, onion and garlic and cook over medium high heat until a rich brown color, stirring frequently. Add everything else except the mushrooms and simmer for 50 minutes. Add the mushrooms and simmer another 10 minutes. Serve over rice.
        You do not need to marinate beforehand - in fact it is better if you don't. This dish reheats well, so you can make it a day ahead.

The aoudad meat was ok tender and the flavor was present but not strong. Personally I thought the recipe was a little bland and needed some additional salt, seasoning, or smoked tabasco sauce. It was easy to make and I'll try it again!

PS - While combing through wild game cookbooks, I read that goat meat should not be salted before cooking because the salt draws out the little moisture it has and makes it extremely tough.

PPS - I didn't shoot this aoudad - someone gave me a hindquarter.

Comment

Marinate in a Hefty extra strong trash bag. Tie the bag tight and store in trashcan until the garbage man comes to pick it up.
          thats great.....I'm passing this recipe on to a few friends

Comment

My ram stunk like someone smeared a tarsal gland across your mustache. Meat smelled the same when cooked, also tasted accordingly.
            Brothers ewe sausage was about like a buck deer- dang good.

Comment

my ram was a dozen years or older. It did not taste too bad but was really really tough. I don't waste anything. My 2 Jack Russell's worked it over without complaints.

Comment

I made some smoked links with some. Insert cedar board joke here!

Comment

I've heard its better to eat the pan

Comment

My dogs would not even eat it.

Comment

I’ve had Auodad once, I rate it up there with Javelina. I’d eat it before Javelina, but rather eat just about any other game out there first.

Comment

Yessir, I have a Cajun friend attempted to cook it and NOPE!!!

Comment

Working...
                        X