Educate Me 223 or 556

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Educate Me 223 or 556

I’m currently downsizing my gun/ammo inventory. I have a bolt action hunting rifle in each caliber and ammo for each. Isn’t one of the 2 caliber rifles capable or shooting both of the ammos, but the other caliber rifle can only shoot the ammo it’s labeled for. Also is there any advantage/ benefit to one caliber of ammo over the other? Thanks for any input.

.556 will shoot either. .223 is not supposed to shoot .556 but I have will no issues. Wylde is just a compromise between the 2.

Comment

The .223 can only shoot .223. The .556 can shoot both.

Comment

5.56 is what you want if you want to safely shoot either round. Do a quick google search and you will find a wealth of info about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Kgert View Post
          5.56 is what you want if you want to safely shoot either round. Do a quick google search and you will find a wealth of info about it.
          Short and easy to understand. Thanks much.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
            .556 will shoot either. .223 is not supposed to shoot .556 but I have will no issues. Wylde is just a compromise between the 2.
            Both Tikka and CZ appear to follow the CIP standard. CZ says go ahead and use 5.56, because under the CIP standard it is safe. Yet, Tikka says don't use 5.56. My understanding is that the CIP standard accounts for the increased potential pressure of 5.56. As such, I am trying to understand why. I believe Bergara is the same.

Comment

Originally posted by ORIONTHEHUNTER View Post
              Both Tikka and CZ appear to follow the CIP standard. CZ says go ahead and use 5.56, because under the CIP standard it is safe. Yet, Tikka says don't use 5.56. My understanding is that the CIP standard accounts for the increased potential pressure of 5.56. As such, I am trying to understand why. I believe Bergara is the same.
              From a textbook/legal/extreme safety standpoint it is correct that firing .223 in a 5.56 chamber is ok whereas firing 5.56 in a .223 chamber may not be.

However, the reality is that any quality modern bolt action is built to far exceed the pressures developed by 5.56 in a .223 chamber. A .22-250 generates up to 65,000 psi, while burning substantially more powder, generating more bolt thrust due to the increased case diameter, against a weaker bolt due to having more material removed to accept the larger case head.

If you have some off brand stamped sheet metal Brazilian made .223 it might be a problem, otherwise it’s unlikely to be.

Comment

Originally posted by ORIONTHEHUNTER View Post
                I shoot 5.56 in my Tikka 223. I took the advice of a few guys that have done it with 10's of thousands of rounds in lots of Tikkas so I'm comfortable doing it.

Comment

I would keep whichever is more accurate...

Comment

So, the consensus ( is that the right word/spelling ) is that I’d be ok to shoot either round in either rifle?

Comment

what guns do you have and what is the primary application for the one you are going to keep??

Comment

Originally posted by buckerup View Post
                        So, the consensus ( is that the right word/spelling ) is that I’d be ok to shoot either round in either rifle?

Yes. Don’t over think it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

556 is almost .224, but not quite.

.223 is .223

556 is .001 larger than .223

Comment

Originally posted by Shinesintx View Post
                            556 is almost .224, but not quite.

.223 is .223

556 is .001 larger than .223
                            What?????

Comment

99.9% of the time you'll be fine. If you have a minimum dimension 223 chamber a maximum dimension 5.56 round you could have pressure problems. The Wylde chamber is good for both. If you have both why take the chance ? If the 556 is an accurate good shooting gun, keep it.

Comment

Working...
                              X