Prickly Pear Jelly and Syrup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
    I've just been deeeep down a rabbit hole on YouTube... did a search for Prickly Pear Jelly, then jam, then juice, then syrup... I've got some cactus harvesting to do hopefully next trip!!
    I've done the jelly and the syrup in the past but I was only dealing with a gallon of juice. I picked a bunch of pears this past weekend and after running them through my fruit press, I have 4 gallons of juice so I'm looking for all sorts of ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by PassnItOn View Post
      We just bought a place in Tilden which has a big cactus flat on it and my wife and daughter went crazy with it making jelly and syrup. We've had prickly pear Mojitos, Margaritas and Coladas. All were good!

Any chance we could get a recipe for that pie?
      Here you go. My Sister's "secret" recipe....
      Attached Files

Comment

Native Texan, thank you for posting! That just sounds good!! If I get some pears next trip, I'm going to get my bride to try this out!

Comment

Just sent to the wife....thinking I can use the syrup I made, as it was about a 1:1 ratio of juice to sugar.

Comment

Originally posted by slayr View Post
            Just sent to the wife....thinking I can use the syrup I made, as it was about a 1:1 ratio of juice to sugar.
            Looks like that should work. Maybe just a little sweeter than the recipe.

She would gather a bunch of pears when they were ripe, and freeze the juice. That way she had fresh juice for as long as it took to turn it into pies.

Comment

Originally posted by Native Texan View Post
              Looks like that should work. Maybe just a little sweeter than the recipe.

She would gather a bunch of pears when they were ripe, and freeze the juice. That way she had fresh juice for as long as it took to turn it into pies.

We do that with the blackberries we grow each year... Can use the juice to make cobblers, jelly, really anything... I can see this Pear (or tuna as some call them) thing getting out of hand!!

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                We do that with the blackberries we grow each year... Can use the juice to make cobblers, jelly, really anything... I can see this Pear (or tuna as some call them) thing getting out of hand!!
                Just as long as they don't get IN hand! Those little stickers always seem to find a way.

Comment

Just as long as they don't get IN hand! Those little stickers always seem to find a way.

Comment

Originally posted by slayr View Post
                    While out at the lease this weekend I picked a few ripe prickly pears and took a shot this afternoon at making some jelly and syrup from them. Hopefully it’s edible....going to try it out tomorrow night. Only bad thing was could only find 32oz jars!

Going to definitely try this in a few weeks when we go out to the lease.

Comment

Here you go. My Sister's "secret" recipe....
                      Thank you for posting this! I have enough leftover frozen juice to make 2 pies. Really looking forward to it.

Our family favorite jellies are (not in order):
                      Dewberry
                      Prickly Pear
                      Mesquite Bean
                      Agarita (not a lot different than Prickly Pear but a lot more bugs)

I want to try Mayhaw but don't know where to look for the fruit.

Comment

Letting this cool and I’ll give y’all a report back on the pie recipe.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Oh man, break out the BlueBell!!

Comment

Tell your sister many thanks!!!

Comment

Originally posted by PassnItOn View Post
                              Tell your sister many thanks!!!
                              Will do. When she had the restaurant she kept that recipe a secret, but that was quite a few years ago so she let me share it.

That pie looks great! Wait until you cut into it and taste it!!

Comment

Will do. When she had the restaurant she kept that recipe a secret, but that was quite a few years ago so she let me share it.

That pie looks great! Wait until you cut into it and taste it!!
                                That pie did not suck at all! Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Working...
                                X