Who eats wild boar hogs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who eats wild boar hogs?

I absolutely love wild female hog meat. Haven't kept a boar yet. Anyone have any thoughts?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Tapatalk

If you get them down and cleaned up quick they're usually passable. Now if you gotta chase them and fight to get them dead buzzards gotta eat too.

Comment

If they're young they are fine. I can say we made a big boar into boudin and sausage and it was great.
      We usually leave big ones laying but the boudin was fairly simple to make and we will be using them for that now

Comment

Who doesn't?

Comment

No complaints here! Good stuff

Comment

They are good too if killed quickly and cleaned properly. Boars make great tamales, and boudin.

Comment

I have. I did a hunt and my dad and I got 7 hogs. A mix of sows and boars. Largest boar was 110 lbs. My go to meal is just a crockpot with onions and bbq sauce. The first meal I did had a real strong gamey flavor but once it sat for a day, it was fine. I just recommend soaking it the night before in vinegar or something to pull out the gamey falvor.

Comment

Almost any wild hog if the meat is handled properly is very tasty, boar or sow. I have killed and eaten 2 boars that field dressed a tad over 260 and they ate just fine. No one ever knew they were that big and all liked the flavor of the meat.

Comment

recent meat eater podcast talked about this...discussed the trichinosis possibility...there's a chef down in Austin who is a huge fan of them. I've only had one, and it was meh...

Comment

Small ones are fine. The big ones I usually just pull the backstraps in the field. I have eaten some 250+ pounders that were fine my old *** just doesn't want to clean them anymore.

Comment

NOt me, but I don't eat any of them. Coyotes and buzzards eat well around my place.

Comment

Had a butcher tell me to lay a piece of the belly meat on my tailpipe and let it heat up. If it smells like bacon load him up and go. If it smells like a burning ****, leave it to the buzzards. So far, it’s held pretty true.

Comment

Originally posted by cgny27 View Post
                          recent meat eater podcast talked about this...discussed the trichinosis possibility...there's a chef down in Austin who is a huge fan of them. I've only had one, and it was meh...
                          FYI

Wild pigs taste different depending on lots of factors like location, food supply, water etc.

I've tried them from all over the State except far north (Amarillo area). Most are good, some have a gamey taste.

Even the big boars are good IF they get big on lots of good food. You can usually tell by smelling them right after you walk up to them.

I don't get why we have sooooo freaking many all natural, organic, free range, sustainable, blah blah blah but then people turn their noses at wild pigs.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                            FYI

Wild pigs taste different depending on lots of factors like location, food supply, water etc.

I've tried them from all over the State except far north (Amarillo area). Most are good, some have a gamey taste.

Even the big boars are good IF they get big on lots of good food. You can usually tell by smelling them right after you walk up to them.

I don't get why we have sooooo freaking many all natural, organic, free range, sustainable, blah blah blah but then people turn their noses at wild pigs.
                            lol...i'm down for trying it and finding a good way to keep it going. I know there's a ton out there, and something kind of empty about just shooting and throwing away. I shot one this past weekend, and she might have been tasty...but her death was not quick...so assumed all that adrenaline and panic yucked up her meat...I passed.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntertex View Post
                              Almost any wild hog if the meat is handled properly is very tasty, boar or sow. I have killed and eaten 2 boars that field dressed a tad over 260 and they ate just fine. No one ever knew they were that big and all liked the flavor of the meat.

Yep, big pigs eat the same as the little ones. Some of the best meals I've served were 250+ pigs and people loved it.

Comment

Working...
                              X