Peroxide

Comment

40 volume hair developer creme

Comment

This ^^^

Comment

Originally posted by Sika View Post
          40 volume hair developer creme
          X2. You can get it at Sally's Beauty Supply. Funny thing is that they usually know what you're buying it for.

Comment

Someone offered to clean a skull of a hog I shot with my bow with the beetles. It was a very large hog. It had 5-6" cutters. Well, the beetles froze to death so the guy used bleach water.

After 6 years, the skull is literally splitting apart. The cutters are splintered. I'm going to have to throw it away and it really disappoints me. I think I'll take pictures of it next to the smaller hog that another friend used the Clear Volume 40 on the year prior to the big hog. It is an amazing difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Britches View Post
              Someone offered to clean a skull of a hog I shot with my bow with the beetles. It was a very large hog. It had 5-6" cutters. Well, the beetles froze to death so the guy used bleach water.

After 6 years, the skull is literally splitting apart. The cutters are splintered. I'm going to have to throw it away and it really disappoints me. I think I'll take pictures of it next to the smaller hog that another friend used the Clear Volume 40 on the year prior to the big hog. It is an amazing difference.
              I forget the name of the product but there is a product that museums use a lot that comes in pellets and dissolves in acetone. You dip the damaged skull, fossil, or whatever into the solution of acetone and dissolved pellets and let it soak in. Once removed and dried the acetone evaporates and the plastic pellets bond with the bone and preserve the specimen.

Comment

I think I will try the peroxide and see what happens how long should it take I have also heard to mix elmers glue with water and coat the skull after it is bleached white

Comment

40 volume creme from Sally's like stated above.

Comment

I order it on Amazon for $10. There's no Sally Beauty Supply in Llano, Texas. ;p The 32 ounce bottle will do a bunch of deer sized skulls.

Comment

Above!

Comment

Originally posted by Sika View Post
                        I order it on Amazon for $10. There's no Sally Beauty Supply in Llano, Texas. ;p The 32 ounce bottle will do a bunch of deer sized skulls.

So, is there directions on bottle? Use full strength, soak it? Never used it, following along.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by barnett77859 View Post
                          I think I will try the peroxide and see what happens how long should it take I have also heard to mix elmers glue with water and coat the skull after it is bleached white
                          3% hydrogen peroxide you get at the drug store is not strong enough.
                          Get the 40 v. developer in cream form. The cream can be painted on the skull and left to process. Liquid is a pita to work with.

Comment

The sally beauty stuff works but if you can get actual 30% or 50% peroxide it works way better. Clear also works way better, but you have to mix with magnesium carbonate powder.
                            Last edited by bigbad243; 12-04-2018, 09:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jen-Man View Post
                              So, is there directions on bottle? Use full strength, soak it? Never used it, following along.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              Get you a bowl and a cheap paint brush.
                              Pour some cream in the bowl and start painting it on the skull. Cover every surface.

Some people wrap it in plastic wrap to keep it from drying out too fast. When it dries it stops processessing. I found the pastic wrap to be messy and more trouble than it's worth.

I just leave the painted skull in the sun for a few hours. When it's dry, wash the residue off and apply another coat of hair bleach. Dry, rinse off, repeat.

Two coats usually gets the skull white enough to suit me but I've used 3-4 applications for whitening old yellow skulls.

Comment

Working...
                              X