No announcement yet.

The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Been hunting since sunday. Came in town to get a meal and ice. No bugling where I am. Its hot and dry. Cooled off a little this morning. Found a pretty good herd on sunday that I have been playing cat and mouse. Had the bull at 90 yds last night and he pushed them the wrong way. Have a day and half to get it done. Haven't talked to anyone that is seeing much.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Comment

Front moving into NM. Chances for rain this evening. Greater chance for tomorrow.
      Careful around arroyos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Today is the day Bobby, big boy down, good luck to ya'll.
        Last edited by Coup de Grace; 09-20-2018, 04:25 AM.

Comment

Tag soup for me and my fiancee. I got close several times but we just couldn't seal the deal. It was so dry and crunchy that sneaking in was impossible so then you have to resort to the big game of chess and get in front of the bull and hope they make a mistake and walk by you. My future FIL shot a nice bull so at least someone killed something!

Comment

Wyoming elk camp

I'll try again to get some pics to post. Our elk camp in Wyoming and some elk country we were hunting. About 9,100 ft elevation here.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by wytex View Post
              I'll try again to get some pics to post. Our elk camp in Wyoming and some elk country we were hunting. About 9,100 ft elevation here.
              Did y'all pack in to there with horses? Do you leave that up all season?

Comment

We finished up yesterday morning. In Centerville now filling feeders. Only one cow elk in our group of 4. Too hot. Little movement during daylight

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
                  We finished up yesterday morning. In Centerville now filling feeders. Only one cow elk in our group of 4. Too hot. Little movement during daylight

That’s sucks. Today it is already 25 degrees cooler today than it was yesterday. I’m sure it’s nice and cool where y’all were right now.
                  That’s the way it goes with elk hunting.

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
                    We had some decent movement/bugling action early morning Saturday-Monday until about 8:30 and then from about 6:30 to dark in the evening. Our last day to hunt was Tuesday and it was totally dead. We left out of Chama at 3 am and on our ride out of the ranch elk were moving everywhere.

Comment

My son shot this one this morning near Raton, NM.
                      Attached Files

Comment

That's awesome congrats to your son. Beautiful animal.

Comment

Day #9 just north of Chama nm in Colorado. Last afternoon for me. May hunt the morning if I see improvements. But 4 hunters. No elk even seen while hunting but heard a couple bugles. We hike 2-4 miles off roads a day. Seen 4 piles of day or so old terds and tracks but that is the excitement of our hunt so far. Still a great time and great views but this will be my last Colorado adventure. Eating $1500-2k worth of tags and gear last 2 years and this year more hunters then last. We will just remain hopeful for New Mexico draw for sure and if not we will spend a week camping for lots less ha.

Comment

Congrats on the Bull and congrats to all who were able to hunt this year weather you put one in the freezer or not. I had a great hunt that ended a little early as 62 year old knee decided to quit 3/4 way up a ridge. I will be eating venison this year and training my knee for next September.

Comment

Cingratulations on the bull! Way to close the deal.

I’m driving now, Nevada’s an interesting state. To drive through at least. Get to MT tomorrow. Hunt on Saturday.

Comment

Originally posted by elliscountyhog View Post
                                Day #9 just north of Chama nm in Colorado. Last afternoon for me. May hunt the morning if I see improvements. But 4 hunters. No elk even seen while hunting but heard a couple bugles. We hike 2-4 miles off roads a day. Seen 4 piles of day or so old terds and tracks but that is the excitement of our hunt so far. Still a great time and great views but this will be my last Colorado adventure. Eating $1500-2k worth of tags and gear last 2 years and this year more hunters then last. We will just remain hopeful for New Mexico draw for sure and if not we will spend a week camping for lots less ha.
                                Sorry to hear that, not seeing any game was always my biggest fear. You can still buy a preference point for Wyoming right now and it sounds like their general units are really good. It might be a good $50 investment if you are interested in hunting there in a year or two.

Comment

Working...
                                X