2022 -2023 Duck Season Thread!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CTR0022 View Post
    Yep, it will be interesting how this season goes. I'm going to hunt hard no matter what and enjoy my days in the field. But every guide I know in the north texas area struggled big time last year. And these are top notch outfits.

But the good thing is we are inside 3 weeks from early teal season starting.
    Same here! Lord willing I will hunt all 16 days of early teal and average 3- 4 days a week during the regular season. I just love being outdoors and watching everything !
    Good Luck to you this season!

Comment

Originally posted by DUKFVR View Post
      Same here! Lord willing I will hunt all 16 days of early teal and average 3- 4 days a week during the regular season. I just love being outdoors and watching everything !
      Good Luck to you this season!
      Yes sir, you to! Going to try to do better at posting reports and pics this year.

Comment

Anyone know how they set individual limits within the daily limit?

In the Central flyway we are allowed 6 ducks.
        Includes no more than:5 mallards (only two of which may be hens), 3 wood ducks, 2 redheads, 2 canvasback, 1 scaup, 1 pintail, 1 "dusky" duck (mottled duck, Mexican-like duck, black duck and their hybrids are closed the first five days of the season in each zone)
        All other species not listed: 6

Yet I look at the breeding populations in the above table and see gadwall at 2.665 million, wigeon at 2.127 million, greenwing teal at 2.170 million, Northern shoveler at 3.041 million and none of these ducks have an individual species limit so you can shoot 6 a day.

I would say that gadwall, wigeon, GWT, and spoonies are easily all top 5 harvested ducks in texas.

But scaup are sitting at 3.599 million and you can only shoot 1 a day. I would say theres minimal difference in the numbers of pintails at 1.783 million and the numbers of GWT at 2.170million and wigeon at 2.127 million. Yet we can only shoot 1 pintail and 6 GWT or wigeon.

I understand the limit on canvasbacks and redheads.

It just doesn't make sense why some of these species, that make up a large portion of bag limits in texas dont have the same individual limits as some of these other species that do.

Just a thought I had while looking over the numbers.

Comment

It's getting close Folks!
          Jumping & Ready for my 16 day run on the teal in Sept!

Good Luck to All!!
          If I see some I’ll let you know.
          Your welcome to them. I haven’t seen any yet.

Comment

Anyone know how they set individual limits within the daily limit?

In the Central flyway we are allowed 6 ducks.
            Includes no more than:5 mallards (only two of which may be hens), 3 wood ducks, 2 redheads, 2 canvasback, 1 scaup, 1 pintail, 1 "dusky" duck (mottled duck, Mexican-like duck, black duck and their hybrids are closed the first five days of the season in each zone)
            All other species not listed: 6

Yet I look at the breeding populations in the above table and see gadwall at 2.665 million, wigeon at 2.127 million, greenwing teal at 2.170 million, Northern shoveler at 3.041 million and none of these ducks have an individual species limit so you can shoot 6 a day.

I would say that gadwall, wigeon, GWT, and spoonies are easily all top 5 harvested ducks in texas.

But scaup are sitting at 3.599 million and you can only shoot 1 a day. I would say theres minimal difference in the numbers of pintails at 1.783 million and the numbers of GWT at 2.170million and wigeon at 2.127 million. Yet we can only shoot 1 pintail and 6 GWT or wigeon.

I understand the limit on canvasbacks and redheads.

It just doesn't make sense why some of these species, that make up a large portion of bag limits in texas dont have the same individual limits as some of these other species that do.

Just a thought I had while looking over the numbers.
            It doesn't make any sense to me either, but that's how it's pretty much always been. I'll be very surprised if you're allowed a single pintail next year.

Comment

Originally posted by sasqy View Post
              The teal have arrived !
              Saltcreek west of Springtown.
              Saw some as well yesterday on West Matagorda.

Comment

2022 -2023 Duck Season Thread!!!!!!

Just spent all morning opening up holes for the rice burners

Comment

Originally posted by 150class View Post
                  Just spent all morning opening up holes for the rice burners

Lookin good! See any birds in the area? Drove around the Garwood area yesterday & didn't see any.

Comment

Lookin good! See any birds in the area? Drove around the Garwood area yesterday & didn't see any.
                    I was out last weekend for a few hours of window time, and didnt see one. Tons of dove tho lol

Comment

Plenty of whistlers but no teal

Comment

A few of the guides and clubs are posting of a few birds. Full moon is on opening day, should have a big push from labor day till the opener.

Comment

A few of the guides and clubs are posting of a few birds. Full moon is on opening day, should have a big push from labor day till the opener.
                          Saw Run-n-Gun and Pintail Hunting club videos with a few birds

Comment

Pintail hunting club is using video from last year. There are birds down but no were near that many.

Comment

Pintail hunting club is using video from last year. There are birds down but no were near that many.
                              Gotta book those high dollar hunts!! LOL!!

Comment

I haven’t noticed any teal around. Usually I’d be seeing some by now.

Pretty dang warm this week. Next week will be in the low 80s with cool mornings so I’d say there might be a few show up, then.

Comment

Working...
                                X