No announcement yet.

The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am wanting to pull the trigger on the new pack so bad.. But i know that i wont be on a elk hunt this next year so i can wait and see how guys like them first.. Ill snag one in time for my moose hunt tho..

It is killing me not going on a elk hunt this year.. I am excited about my babies getting here.. So i have a good reason to not go.. I have become crazy addicted to hunting out west.. Applying for tags and points is keeping me occupied right now lol

Comment

Originally posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post
      It is killing me not going on a elk hunt this year.. I am excited about my babies getting here.. So i have a good reason to not go.. I have become crazy addicted to hunting out west.. Applying for tags and points is keeping me occupied right now lol
      Kudos for putting your family first!

I didn't start hunting the west until my kids were 4 and 5 but man I wish I would have started getting points younger.

Comment

Y'all that apply to several states do you put it on credit or float the cash? I just finished my New Mexico application and between them and Montana they have $1900 of my money! If I am unsuccessful and don't want to hunt in Montana I've lost $300. This is my first year applying there for that very reason.

Only Colorado and Wyoming Points only left for me this year application wise.

Oh well! I guess all fun things are expensive. Thank God that I have the resources and health to recreate by chasing and, if I am lucky, eating elk!

Wish me luck!

Comment

Originally posted by BuckSmasher View Post
          Y'all that apply to several states do you put it on credit or float the cash? I just finished my New Mexico application and between them and Montana they have $1900 of my money! If I am unsuccessful and don't want to hunt in Montana I've lost $300. This is my first year applying there for that very reason.

Oh well! I guess all fun things are expensive. Thank God that I have the resources and health to recreate by chasing and, if I am lucky, eating elk!

Wish me luck!
          This year i got a zero interest credit card.Between all the states ive put in so far im at like 5000$.Still have Nevada and Idaho to go.. But ill probably just front the cash next year.. The credit card is a pain..

Comment

This year i got a zero interest credit card.Between all the states ive put in so far im at like 5000$.Still have Nevada and Idaho to go.. But ill probably just front the cash next year.. The credit card is a pain..
            Glad that I live in elk country because the wife would kill me to fork out that amount for various states.

Comment

Originally posted by Whirlwind View Post
              Glad that I live in elk country because the wife would kill me to fork out that amount for various states.
              Ya my wife has questioned me about what the heck i am doing a few times.. I tell her i promise i have it handled LOL Im not sure she believes me

Comment

I could never justify spending that much on those states every year but they make you float the whole fee for months until sending you a rejection letter in the mail and giving you a preference point.

Utah is awesome! Only ten bucks per species for points only and about 50 in fees.

Arizona doesn't make u float a ton of money either but has the non refundable hunting license.

Comment

Ya my wife has questioned me about what the heck i am doing a few times.. I tell her i promise i have it handled LOL Im not sure she believes me

Lol I asked my girlfriend (we have been together 5 years) to use her credit card to float the cash and she wouldn't let me! I don't have a CC because I agree with Dave Ramsay about those things.

Comment

I don't mind sending the money in as long as I know if I don't draw I get it back but when you have to buy the license and then get no tag that's where it hurts.

Comment

im just budgeting 1500$ a year for points/long shot tags.. The first year i will actually put in for a tag will be 2016.. I will have 4 points for elk and deer in wyoming..

Comment

im just budgeting 1500$ a year for points/long shot tags.. The first year i will actually put in for a tag will be 2016.. I will have 4 points for elk and deer in wyoming..

Curious why you don't just do a OTC tag in a state?

Comment

I opened a hunting account last year. It is a great way to manage it all and keep it separate from family expenses. So I write checks out of there to pay the cc and deposit my refunds back in. It is a great way to know where you stand on hunting funds and gives me drive to do extra to make it grow.

Comment

Curious why you don't just do a OTC tag in a state?
                            Because I want a BIG Bull.. I will have a Elk tag on my moose hunt in 2015..I will most likely have a chance to kill a good bull then.. But i want a 300+.. I want to shoot one like floor mans!!!. .

Plus to be honest.. I like building points and being able to plan for hunts.. I know im not putting in for a elk or deer tag until 2016 so i have till then to prepare.. then in 2017 I may put in for Arizona or something.. If i just put in for points every year I know when i will actually have a chance of drawing..

Comment

Originally posted by ELKAHOLIC View Post
                              I opened a hunting account last year. It is a great way to manage it all and keep it separate from family expenses. So I write checks out of there to pay the cc and deposit my refunds back in. It is a great way to know where you stand on hunting funds and gives me drive to do extra to make it grow.
                              I suggested this to my wife and she said NO! Lol.. She wants to be able to see what Im spending the money on.. But luckily she is awesome and doesnt give me to much crap..

Comment

Originally posted by BuckSmasher View Post

Wish me luck!
                                How did you do your draw? Elk permit / deer and if you don't get a permit your returning your license? I'm in for a permit to but, if I don't get it I'll just go to HD 560. With 17k licenses if you put in for MT you'll get picked for a license.

Comment

Working...
                                X