No announcement yet.

Gun malfunction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had a new rifle do that to me one time. Didnt clean all of the heavy lube out of the bolt, and when I squeezed the trigger the firing pin didnt move and fire the round. When I started to open the bolt the pin came loose and fired the round. It was aimed down range at all times and never at risk of firing in an uncontrolled direction.

I cleaned the bolt super good and relubed the firing pin and spring. Never had that issue again and had that gun for many years.

Might want to pull the bolt and see if there is something going on there. Glad no one was hurt BTW

Comment

What a great lesson for the young one about gun safety rules and how they work out, kiddo will be telling this story for the rest of his life.

When I was a kid, probably 12 or so I had a 20 gauge fire with the safety on. I'd walked up to the truck and set the butt of the gun down kinda hard on the bumper of the truck facing upward. Gun fired with the muzzle just above my face but of course pointed upward and not at me. My dad watched it happen and whooped my *** real good, longest whooping I ever had, it scared the poo out of him more than me. Once that was done I showed him the safety was on still.

For your rifle I'd trade it into the gunsmith or gun shop after explaining fully the problem with full disclosure. I don't think I'd put it in my family's hands again. Do you think it's possible you flipped the safety a little too far forward just past the middle position?

Comment

Originally posted by Fajkus7 View Post
        Throw the whole gun away because of a bolt/trigger issue? Why not just fix the issue?
        It would be my personal choice. It’s only a gun.

Comment

Originally posted by tps7742 View Post
          Fair enough. To each their own

Comment

the only questions I have is did you buy the gun new and is it the factory trigger that has not been messed with.

if it's bone stock and has not been tampered with , the manufacturer will want to know about it.

if it has an aftermarket trigger or if the trigger is adjustable and was adjusted past it's safe condition . i'd go have a talk with who ever did it.

Comment

I've had it happen twice, once with a Win model 70 and once with a Rem 700 action in Zambia. The model 70 somehow got a small piece of vegetation down in the trigger group and the model 700 the whole trigger group had vibrated loose with all the travel. Both were fixed within the hour

Take it to someone who is qualified to fix it

Comment

Howa had a safety recall in 2002 I believe. Affected rifles were manufactured from 1970 thru 1993. Something to do with bolt sleeve.

Comment

fired while unloading

Originally posted by Fajkus7 View Post
                  Throw the whole gun away because of a bolt/trigger issue? Why not just fix the issue?
                  Neither be sure the Manufacturer is involved SO THEY CAN FIGGER OUT WHATS THE PROBLEM ...AND RECALL OR WARN...and the INSIST on your MONEY BACK...

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntntxn View Post
                    I had a new rifle do that to me one time. Didnt clean all of the heavy lube out of the bolt, and when I squeezed the trigger the firing pin didnt move and fire the round. When I started to open the bolt the pin came loose and fired the round. It was aimed down range at all times and never at risk of firing in an uncontrolled direction.

I cleaned the bolt super good and relubed the firing pin and spring. Never had that issue again and had that gun for many years.

Might want to pull the bolt and see if there is something going on there. Glad no one was hurt BTW
                    Not nearly the same, but I had a Remington 700, 30-06 one time. ONE TIME!
                    I was hunting with it and a nice heavy 8 came out, I aimed, pulled trigger, and nothing! I thought WTH and started down with the rifle and it went off. Took it back to camp, dismantled cleaned and tested. Seemed fine.
                    Next morning, a real nice 9 came out and same thing. Pulled trigger and nothing.....start to bring it down and boom.
                    Only gun I had in camp, so that evening, I got a 8 by aiming, pull the trigger, hold, hold, keep aiming and the gun finally went off.
                    First opportunity I took it to gun shop, TOLD THE DEALER WHAT WAS GOING ON, and traded it in for a Savage.

Comment

Originally posted by tps7742 View Post
                      I second your personal choice. I would likely fire up the chop saw and grinder. I would never feel comfortable with the gun again---especially with my kids.

Comment

Originally posted by RR 314 View Post
                        I second your personal choice. I would likely fire up the chop saw and grinder. I would never feel comfortable with the gun again---especially with my kids.
                        I am sure an event that occurred in January while I was in the back seat a .308 went off in the front seat influences my comments. This was a Remington 600 with a recall that wasn’t sent back.

Comment

Sounds to me like someone did a trigger job and set it too light.

Those howa/weatherby triggers can be touchy when you adjust them. I generally smack the bolt with a rubber hammer or bounce the butt off the shop floor a few times before I lock them up. Easy fix if that's it.

Comment

Working...
                          X