Make your pitch for best dog breed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post

Lemme guess, cause chocolates are 'inferior' to the other 2?
    I wouldn’t say inferior and for the op’s list would probably be fine but I’ve never been around a great one (hunting wise) and they typically don’t win many field trail championships. I know that’s that’s not what he’s looking for but I look at that for trainability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I've got a heeler/aussie mix, and I'd trade him for a rabid skunk if my wife would let me...

Comment

This pit is the absolute blessing to come into my life. He loves to get me up for long walks.

And we have to stop all over town during our walks so he can make his little visits along the route. Everybody says he brightens the day just a little.

The Dutch brotista demand daily visits from him.
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by bbqfan5909 View Post
          100%! Have a weim and that dog is family.
          I just had to put my senior most Weimar down last week. Man what a hard thing to have to go trough. His brother weim is seven and he is grieving pretty bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbo Man View Post
            Not planning on ever having another dog but if I did and not for hunting it would be a Healer or Border Collie.
            Would the Healer be like a Comanche Shaman or a certified medical doctor? Asking for a friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunnyart View Post
              Job number 1 is to hang out with me.
              the other stuff is a bonus.
              Heelers and JRTs for me. I look at JRTs as "large dogs in a small body." And of course, big dogs = big poop. In the city, that's a player.

Comment

I love my catahoula...but she eats every bird she gets aholt of

Comment

Originally posted by Gunnyart View Post
                  Rhodesian Ridgeback thoughts/opinions?
                  Love our Rhodesian.... fits most items on your list but doubtful it will retrieve anything for you. He can be a little hard-headed at times, more so than a lab, but I actually like his independent streak... loves his people but gives them space.

Comment

Originally posted by BlessedVeteran0305 View Post
                    German Malinois. Great family pets, protectors, and companions. Very intelligent and can be taught to do anything.
                    Wish no disrespect, my cousin was on the K-9 unit for 20 years and said that breed is just nuts. And he would not recommend one for just anyone.

Put me down for a lab or a mutt with lab in it.

Comment

Originally posted by hopedale View Post
                      Wish no disrespect, my cousin was on the K-9 unit for 20 years and said that breed is just nuts. And he would not recommend one for just anyone.

Put me down for a lab or a mutt with lab in it.
                      Our neighbor's Malinois drew blood on our dog twice. They don't make my short list.

Comment

We love our Doberman and our daughters pit. The Doberman is a magnet to us.
                        We had a JRT and they are hard to beat if they didn’t shed so much.

Comment

Only pit bulls for me. Mine now will be 7 months, turning out to be a dam good dog

Comment

Not blue heeler.

Get a lab and a vacuum

Comment

Originally posted by Cullbuck View Post
                              I wouldn’t say inferior and for the op’s list would probably be fine but I’ve never been around a great one (hunting wise) and they typically don’t win many field trail championships. I know that’s that’s not what he’s looking for but I look at that for trainability.

In the 12 or so years I spent assisting guides or running hunts, I saw more black whistle robot dogs act a straight fool than any other color. Customers wearing the remote button out on a dog running buck wild. More often than not an agreement was made to get the dog some 'experience' which turned into a cluster where an off remote dog ended up handing the birds while i-robot wanted to fight and take a leak on the rags and blind bags

One of the best goose dogs I ever hunted over the guy found him in a ditch and trained him. A couple of the most talked about guides on the prairie had brown and yellow. Thats the only field trial I that mattered to me and the folks I hunted with.

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
                                Everybody told me how crazy Jack Russells were before I got mine. I got him anyway because I wanted a smallish tracking dog. Yes, he’s crazy, but he is hands down the best dog I have ever owned. As long as I’m able to take care of a dog, I can’t see myself without a JRT!!!!!!

The only bad thing about them is they shed like crazy!!!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

We lost our Jack Russell in June. We had him for 16 1/2 years. He was the best dog ever. His name was Rascal. Does your JRT track deer? I’m thinking about getting us another one.

Comment

Working...
                                X