Child custody issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Child custody issues

I know this probably isn't the best place to bring this, but I know there are tons of people on here and someone has had to have dealt with this same issue. MY ex wife and I got divorced several years ago. We have three kids. The oldest is 13 and youngest is 9. After the divorce she moved two hours away with the kids. After they moved I only see the kids the first, third and fifth weekend of the month. She has primary custody I guess you can say. Well since moving she has never really "gotten on her feet". There always seems to be something negative impacting her life, which affects the kids. Several times it has been her boyfriend issues and such.The other day my oldest came up to me and asked to move to my house. When I asked him why he stated "It's stable here". He knows when he gets to my house that he will have electricity and water and all that such. He also knows that nothing will be waiting to surprise him, other than good things. I know at 13 he is able to state where he would like to live, and a judge would consider it. My problem comes in with our other two children. I do not want to separate them. So I feel if I am going to try getting him, I should try for all three. I am all for spending the money trying to get them if I have a chance, but I do not have money to throw away for an unwinnable cause. Anyone have similar experience that can give me a little guidance? I am already going to try setting up some consultations with lawyers and see what they say. I just know lawyers are there to make money and I don't want them giving me false hopes for something unattainable

No such thing as 'throwing money away' when it comes to your kids. Especially at those ages.

Im not a lawyer but Ive seen cases like this 100s of times. Document, document, document!! Its essentially free and sure heck wont hurt when your day in court comes up.

Good luck!

Comment

Well, maybe kinda ask the yong ones who thay orefer to be with, then set up a talk with a family judge..see what he/she may say

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
        No such thing as 'throwing money away' when it comes to your kids. Especially at those ages.

Im not a lawyer but Ive seen cases like this 100s of times. Document, document, document!! Its essentially free and sure heck wont hurt when your day in court comes up.

Good luck!
        Like I said I have no problem whatsoever spending the money. I just want to know I have a decent chance of changing stuff for the better for them.

Comment

You can pm me any question.. I have done the fight and now have had my son for 2 years.

Comment

You have a chance.

I'll be praying for you and your children, and for your ex to see and consider what is best for the kids.

Comment

Praying for y'all for wisdom, favor, and strength. Your kids deserve the best they can get.

Comment

Originally posted by bwssr View Post
                Well, maybe kinda ask the yong ones who thay orefer to be with, then set up a talk with a family judge..see what he/she may say
                I have already been planning on asking them. I just do not know if the youngest has the real capability of making that kind of decision.

Comment

Over 12 child has choice of where to live

Comment

Unless she is caught doing something real bad and has a history of it. I think your fighting a losing battle with the younger ones. Judges don't take kids away from their mother very often.
                    Now if the living conditions are up to par, you might could talk someone into calling in an anonymous report to CPS. That might help your case.

Comment

I don't know if this is helpful or not, but it might be worth meeting with an attorney on the front end to learn the law, state policies, etc so that as you begin to talk with your kids and document things it is done in a way that satisfies the criteria that would be reviewed.

I'm sorry for your situation. Hopefully your oldest can be looking out for the other two as you begin to sort it out.

Comment

Hire an experienced attorney who is board certified in family law. You may pay more per hour, but you will get more, too.

Comment

I thinks Judges these days will grant custody to the dad if it is a more suitable living environment. 15 years ago it was very hard for dads to get custody even if the mom was a dead beat crack head. Sending prayers for you and the kids.

Comment

my 14yr old lives with her mom and i get her every other weekend...her mom is her "friend" so thats where she chose to live when she turned 12 and the judge ok'ed it. i also have a 10yr little dude. he is. week on and week off. different school districts. i would love for him to come live with me when he hits 12 but he likes going back and forth. i feel one day he will get tired of it and land at my house permanently as we do all the sports, hunt and fish together and at his moms they do none of it. they get him to tournaments on the weeknds...about it

Comment

In Texas, the children cannot choose where they want to live at some magical age. That is a myth. The child can state their preference, but it is solely up to the judge. However, IF you can PROVE that the children are in an unhealthy environment that is detrimental to their physical, or psychological well being then you at least have a chance. Basically, you have to be able to prove, through unbiased professionals, that there is unlawful physical abuse or some sort of heavy drug use by someone in their home. Outside of that, you would have a tough go at it. I am not a lawyer, but I went through all this with my son recently. Fortunately, and unfortunately, I had a rock solid case, and now the atate is moving to terminate my son's mother's parental rights. I would highly recommend talking to a top notch attorney as they are well worth every penny. If you would like, PM if you want to know who I used. They are very well known and amazing in court, however, they are not inexpensive at all.

Comment

Working...
                              X