Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 06-01-2016, 09:35 PM   #1
Full Throttle
Eight Point

Hunt In: Woodson, TX & Burneyville, OK
Default Tractors...hp or 4wd?

It seems as if a guy can have 50% more horsepower in 2wd or have 4x4 for about the same price. If so, what would you choose? 30-35 hp 4x4 or 45-50 hp 2wd.

Even with a ton of rain this year I can still get around most places on my property in 4x4 in my truck, so just not 100% sure I need a 4x4 tractor. It will be for mowing, maintaining roads and putting in food plots on my 160 acre place. Would like to stay under 15k with implements. Is this a pipe dream? Needing to get something bought pretty soon. Thanks for any suggestions.
Full Throttle is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-01-2016, 09:37 PM   #2
bboswell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I can

1st. 4x4 will pay for its self in everything you mentioned except mowing.

2nd. For 160 acre place your looking at too small of a tractor
bboswell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-01-2016, 09:39 PM   #3
Full Throttle
Eight Point

What's a good size? Looking used of coarse.
Old 06-01-2016, 09:44 PM   #4
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Fifty to sixty hp and 4wd if you have a loader. If you don't have a loader, 4wd is more of a luxury IMO. That said, I have a backhoe, but it's not always where I need it. I'll never buy another tractor without a loader and 4wd.
Drycreek3189 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-01-2016, 09:49 PM   #5
PYBUCK
Ten Point

Hunt In: Upton County

PM sent
PYBUCK is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-01-2016, 09:49 PM   #6
drwilliams
Eight Point

I'm running a 52hp 4x4 Kubota and have a little over 400 acres it can be done takes some time but it works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
drwilliams is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-01-2016, 09:52 PM   #7
asttbe
Pope & Young

Hunt In: My yard

I have a 47hp 4x4 Kubota and only 20 acres. Sometimes it's too small. But I wouldn't be able to do much without 4x4. My place is pretty hilly though

asttbe is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-01-2016, 09:57 PM   #8
M16
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Colorado, LaSalle, ,Menard Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Throttle View Post
It seems as if a guy can have 50% more horsepower in 2wd or have 4x4 for about the same price. If so, what would you choose? 30-35 hp 4x4 or 45-50 hp 2wd.

Even with a ton of rain this year I can still get around most places on my property in 4x4 in my truck, so just not 100% sure I need a 4x4 tractor. It will be for mowing, maintaining roads and putting in food plots on my 160 acre place. Would like to stay under 15k with implements. Is this a pipe dream? Needing to get something bought pretty soon. Thanks for any suggestions.
Bigger is usually better but for your situation I would want at a minimum a 70hp 4wd. Once you have it you usually don't go back to 2wd. Not a necessity but is sure is nice when you need it.
M16 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-01-2016, 10:02 PM   #9
Full Throttle
Eight Point

Anything to worry about buying an older tractor? I know a guy who has a 1982 John Deere 80 hp 4x4 with loader. Has around 2700 hrs. Can be bought for around 13k. Deal or no deal?
Old 06-01-2016, 10:08 PM   #10
M16
Pope & Young

Quote:
Anything to worry about buying an older tractor? I know a guy who has a 1982 John Deere 80 hp 4x4 with loader. Has around 2700 hrs. Can be bought for around 13k. Deal or no deal?
Sounds like a good deal. Unless you are mechanically inclined I'd hire someone or take it to a dealership to have it checked out. Spending a little money upfront can save you some misery down the road.
Old 06-01-2016, 10:14 PM   #11
Full Throttle
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by M16 View Post
Sounds like a good deal. Unless you are mechanically inclined I'd hire someone or take it to a dealership to have it checked out. Spending a little money upfront can save you some misery down the road.

He's someone I know and trust. Our boys grew up playing baseball together. He's recommending upgrading to a joystick control and it needs control box seal work. I think it would be around $1k for those two items.
Old 06-01-2016, 10:45 PM   #12
Big H
Six Point

Quote:
He's someone I know and trust. Our boys grew up playing baseball together. He's recommending upgrading to a joystick control and it needs control box seal work. I think it would be around $1k for those two items.
Which model JD? It sounds like you are describing a 2755.
Big H is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-01-2016, 10:47 PM   #13
Full Throttle
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by big h View Post
which model jd? It sounds like you are describing a 2755.

Old 06-01-2016, 10:48 PM   #14
Bowtech32
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Quanah, Hardeman Co.

4wd will make up 10 hp IMO, a small tractor can just about do anything a bigger tractor will do except slower. So that would be about how much coin you want to spend. Also a tractor really needs a front end loader, they are so useful is more ways anyone can list. Just one example I have a 2wd tractor and I have been stuck more times than I can count, but I use the FIL to push my way out every time
Bowtech32 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-01-2016, 10:49 PM   #15
Bowtech32
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Quanah, Hardeman Co.

Also look at Mahandra tractors, great tractors for less $$$
Bowtech32 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-01-2016, 11:21 PM   #16
bboswell
Pope & Young

Quote:
Bigger is usually better but for your situation I would want at a minimum a 70hp 4wd. Once you have it you usually don't go back to 2wd. Not a necessity but is sure is nice when you need it.

Quote:

Better option than small tractor
Old 06-01-2016, 11:57 PM   #17
tef
Ten Point

Hunt In: Crowell Tx, Van Zandt Co. Tx

Don't get too caught up in the bigger is always better deal. Of course in a perfect world with no limitations then yes, get an enclosed cab w the biggest hp available lol. I have done a lot of work, some of very demanding work, off a New Holland 30hp, 4wd. I haven't found anything it couldn't do for me. 4wd is a must imo. Keep in mind the size if you need to trailer it and don't have a big enough trk and trlr. I also feel a loader is a necessity. I do about the same type work you described, mow,food plots, moving dirt, driveway work etc. Ive even used it some to lift roll up doors on shops that my son installs. Don't let a lower hp tractor fool you, they can work. It sounds like your deal isnt too bad, just a little leary on the work needed. Good luck.
tef is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-02-2016, 12:13 AM   #18
dclifton
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lindale Tx, Crowell Tx, pearsall Tx

55-75hp 4wd will do everything you need.
dclifton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-02-2016, 12:13 AM   #19
kdenhead
Ten Point

Hunt In: Fayette & Washington County

I have a 32 HP Kubota 4x4 with 5' loader and 5' shredder. We have 240 acres. We don't farm (we sub it out). I use tractor to mow trails, around the yard and hunting stuff (food plots, loading feeders and moving stands). It's a great size and gets the job done. Before I had my tractor, I borrowed my cousins 2wd tractor - it had a hard time making it around our place - it's Oklahoma sand hills. I looked at new ones, but pulled the trigger on a well maintained used one. Good luck!
kdenhead is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-02-2016, 12:15 AM   #20
dclifton
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lindale Tx, Crowell Tx, pearsall Tx

Quote:
Not a bad tractor. We have a 2840 and it's been solid the engines are great. Hydraulics can be finicky. Make sure the hi-lo works. If it shifts good then not much to worry anout.

Cab or no cab?
dclifton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-02-2016, 12:20 AM   #21
Laner7
Eight Point

We have a Kubota that's is around 47/48 horsepower 4*4 and does everything we needed it to do so far. We mostly mow and use it for road grading and have a pretty good size ranch. Ours is plenty for what we do, only down fall is power wise when trying to clear thick Mesquite's
Laner7 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-02-2016, 06:22 AM   #22
Bowtech38
Pope & Young

Get the biggest you can afford better to have more tractor then you need. And get a kubota
Bowtech38 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-02-2016, 06:29 AM   #23
Low Fence
Pope & Young

Like m16 said. Min 70 hp
And I don't know why they make a 2wd tractor, useless to me. Even a big 2wd with a small bucket on front full of dirt is a nightmare. Hp is useless if the tires are always spinning
Low Fence is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-02-2016, 06:36 AM   #24
Full Throttle
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by dclifton View Post

Cab or no cab?
No cab.
Old 06-02-2016, 07:18 AM   #25
denimdeerslayer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Waller

Go for the four wheel drive. I had two wheel drive and its annoying trying to back out with a load in front end loader.
denimdeerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-02-2016, 07:29 AM   #26
txwhitetail
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Irion Co

A lot of folks that will swear by the 4x4 are normally people with undersize HP for the work they are doing or weight using bucket.

You will get way more bang for the buck on a used tractor bigger HP and 4x4 if you want it than buying the "trailer" package type undersize tractors. That is if you plan on doing any bigger type work on larger acreage (plowing larger plots, bigger shredding, etc).

If it is just going to be a once a month type situation for light shredding etc find you one of those smaller used units and save some $.
txwhitetail is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-02-2016, 07:37 AM   #27
niceg3s
Ten Point

Hunt In: Own property in Smith/Cherokee.

Most of the newer tractors under 65 hp are made in India (CaseIH, John Deere). 4x4 is needed if you have a loader, if not there is not enough weight on the front of the tractor that your back tires can't handle.

Buying a used tractor, you want to be able to run through all the gears. Take a rag and a can of diesel, use it to wipe down the side of the engine, run the tractor for at least 10 minutes to see if there are any leaks. Idle it down low and bring the rpm's up to the range to power the pto, especially during the low idle, make sure the engine is running smooth. Look for leaks on the loader around the hydraulics. To be honest, you are better off just bringing someone that knows what to look at. There's a lot of things that can be wrong.
niceg3s is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-02-2016, 07:40 AM   #28
M16
Pope & Young

I had my first tractor buying experience 20+ years ago. I knew a little about tractors but not a whole lot. I was planning on buying a smaller 40-50 hp. I took a buddy along that knew tractors and what they could do. He convinced me to buy a 70hp. I didn't want to spend the extra money but didn't want to get something that was too small. I'm still using that tractor and it is worth dang near what I payed for it. It will handle a 15 foot batwing shredder. A ten foot tandem disk etc.

Would a smaller tractor with smaller implements have worked? Sure it would. But is your time worth something. Do you want to spend twice as long getting a job done?

I think you'd like the JD you are looking at. Older tractors have more weight in them. Newer tractors are being built lighter and lighter. This is a bad thing since weight helps a lot with traction. That's one reason why new tractors almost have to have 4wd. Older 2wd tractors perform very well. Water in the rear tires and wheel weights do help.
Old 06-02-2016, 07:41 AM   #29
SB09
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Baylor and Grayson Counties

Definitely get the 4x4.

How big of food plots are you planning on doing? How many acres approximately will there be to maintain via shredding?
SB09 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-02-2016, 07:51 AM   #30
asttbe
Pope & Young

Quote:
I had my first tractor buying experience 20+ years ago. I knew a little about tractors but not a whole lot. I was planning on buying a smaller 40-50 hp. I took a buddy along that knew tractors and what they could do. He convinced me to buy a 70hp. I didn't want to spend the extra money but didn't want to get something that was too small. I'm still using that tractor and it is worth dang near what I payed for it. It will handle a 15 foot batwing shredder. A ten foot tandem disk etc.

Would a smaller tractor with smaller implements have worked? Sure it would. But is your time worth something. Do you want to spend twice as long getting a job done?

I think you'd like the JD you are looking at. Older tractors have more weight in them. Newer tractors are being built lighter and lighter. This is a bad thing since weight helps a lot with traction. That's one reason why new tractors almost have to have 4wd. Older 2wd tractors perform very well. Water in the rear tires and wheel weights do help.

Yep. Mine would sit a lot more if it were 2WD. And I added fluid to the tires the first week.
Old 06-02-2016, 08:44 AM   #31
Team Roper
Eight Point

Take the majorities advise 4x4 and remember you can never have too much horsepower.
Team Roper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-02-2016, 08:48 AM   #32
bowhunterhelm
Ten Point

Hunt In: Leander, my back yard

4x4!!
bowhunterhelm is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-02-2016, 09:21 AM   #33
"DOC"
Ten Point

I've had a Lot of different tractors....
4 WD and Front end Loader are Mandatory regardless of horsepower.
Can't imagine working around the place without a FEL.
"DOC" is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-02-2016, 09:27 AM   #34
splitfinger
Ten Point

Hunt In: Behind the House

I had a John Deere 5053E (53 HP) 2 wheel drive with a front end loader and for 100 acres it wasn't big enough. I traded that one in on a 5065E 4 wheel drive about 4 years ago and it was the best thing I could have done. Buy the biggest 4 wheel drive with front end loader you can afford. You will not be disappointed.

Doug Key
splitfinger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-02-2016, 09:54 AM   #35
Old Goat1
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tx.

Agree with all the above. Most older tractors were longer coupled (axle to axle). No need for counter balance on the rear for a fel. To me they seemed to have more traction. Most newer tractors are way too compact and light. If you go new, look for a tractor that doesn't require rear weight to lift full capacity of the fel.

Agree on a FEL must have but I will go one step farther. Most older tractors had pined buckets. Changing from bucket to forks etc was a chore for me. I use forks 60% of the time. New FELs have a quick change attachment and are worth their weight in gold. No more trying to shove or lift a heavy bucket around to line up pins. Drive up and drop it. Drive up and lift to hookup. If you buy a older tractor with a FEL you could probably change it over to a quick attach fel.
Old Goat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-02-2016, 09:58 AM   #36
BrianL
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lamar and Dickens

I would get that JD your buddy has. It will do everything you will need. Cab is nice till you start busting out glass and AC stops working. I just replaced the rear glass in my JD from a thrown rock from my lawnmower. Open station isn't bad, 80 HP is a great size, 4x4 is a big plus, and FEL is a must. GET IT!

FYI

http://www.tractordata.com/farm-trac...eere-2940.html

Last edited by BrianL; 06-02-2016 at 10:11 AM.
BrianL is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-02-2016, 10:01 AM   #37
niceg3s
Ten Point

Hunt In: Own property in Smith/Cherokee.

Sorry forgot the HP/4x4 question. HP is determined by the kind of work you are doing. If you have a loader, get 4x4. See what kind of implents you are going to use: brush hog, disc, etc... What kind of weight are you going to lift with the loader? Hay bales, deer feeders? If buying used, go to tractor data.com it will give you the stats on the tractor. We have 5 Internationals that are all 2wd. 574, 574, 886, 886, 966.
niceg3s is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-02-2016, 10:08 AM   #38
bboswell
Pope & Young

for more insight start a new thread asking how many people have been through multiple tractors due to up sizing or adding 4x4. There is a long list of those people here, I'm on my 4th...

30hp John Deer 2x4
35hp Kubota 4x4
50hp Kubota 4x4
75hp Kubota 4x4

All with FEL
Old 06-02-2016, 10:19 AM   #39
OPC Patrick
Ten Point

front end loader = 4 wheel drive. And don't get a tractor without one... otherwise you're just buying a big riding mower.

I have a small JD... My parents have a big JD with a Cab and a mid size mahindra. My little tractor can do almost everything the bigger ones can... just slower. That said... mine wont load round bales on a trailer, but I can push them around.
OPC Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-02-2016, 10:21 AM   #40
Bumpy
Ten Point

My family has 3 John Deere tractors. Non have 4wd and have bailed over thousands of bales of hay a year. Then again our land is all flat and hay meadows.
Bumpy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-02-2016, 12:42 PM   #41
txwhitetail
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Irion Co

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpy View Post
My family has 3 John Deere tractors. Non have 4wd and have bailed over thousands of bales of hay a year. Then again our land is all flat and hay meadows.
Yep I would say the majority recommending 4x4 are running undersize tractors for the work.
txwhitetail is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-02-2016, 12:52 PM   #42
Kenner97
Ten Point

Hunt In: Atascosa, Wilson, Karnes County

We have 200 acres and bought a 95 hp 4x4 Kubota with FEL to maintain it. i'm glad that we went that big as we were looking at smaller ones also. The FEL and 4x4 is a must in my opinion, from being able to push out small mesquites or leveling washouts.

We also plant around 10 acres of food plots, so being able to pull a 12+' disc and a 7 shank chisel comes in handy.
Yes you can get away with smaller but how much is your time worth?
Kenner97 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-02-2016, 01:17 PM   #43
asttbe
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by txwhitetail View Post
Yep I would say the majority recommending 4x4 are running undersize tractors for the work.
I'd say mine is a direct relation to terrain. Out of the 20 acres probably 3 are remotely level. That and I am using mine to push over a bunch of cedars. I need the 4X4 to get it done on my place. And the rain this year just compounds it all. My tractor is never out of 4WD
Old 06-02-2016, 01:28 PM   #44
Full Throttle
Eight Point

Default Tractors...hp or 4wd?

Good info guys. I have about 1/2 mile of road to maintain, 7 to 8 acres of food plots going in and a couple of acres around the house to keep mowed. I've got some mesquites that need cleared as well.

Looks like I need to up my budget a little bit. That JD 2940 might just be the ticket. Guess I need to start researching implements next....
Old 06-02-2016, 06:00 PM   #45
Stan R
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Madison and Colorado County

Quote:
Originally Posted by bboswell View Post
for more insight start a new thread asking how many people have been through multiple tractors due to up sizing or adding 4x4. There is a long list of those people here, I'm on my 4th...

30hp John Deer 2x4
35hp Kubota 4x4
50hp Kubota 4x4
75hp Kubota 4x4

All with FEL
This

I've had 3 in

30 HP 4x4 with FEL Mahindra This one almost beat me to death...
50 HP 4x4 with FEL Kubota
75 Kubota with cab, AC, Stereo, 4x4, with FEL and it's paid for... So going to keep it.
Stan R is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-02-2016, 06:14 PM   #46
BTGuard
Ten Point

Hunt In: Iowa

This is 4wd... You want mechanical front wheel drive, or front wheel assist

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
BTGuard is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-02-2016, 06:21 PM   #47
asttbe
Pope & Young

^^^^^^^^^^^^

Ohhhhhh I'm mildly aroused
Old 06-02-2016, 06:39 PM   #48
RMW
Ten Point

Hunt In: Down South

If I was you I would by that 1982 JD in a heartbeat. With only 2700 hrs and probably wasn't worked very hard. We have over 100 tractors anywhere from mid 1960's to brand new and the older JD tractors never give any problems and are easy to work on.

Do you have pic of tractor? If so post it, I would love to see it.

Last edited by RMW; 06-02-2016 at 06:42 PM.
RMW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-02-2016, 06:59 PM   #49
Full Throttle
Eight Point

Here's the one I can buy for 14k. The more I look around, the more of a solid deal it looks.

Old 06-02-2016, 07:09 PM   #50
asttbe
Pope & Young

If that's truly all that's wrong with it. It sounds like a good deal