Pipeline Easement Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SwampBuck View Post
    What the others said has been pretty good advice.
    I have never been on the landowners side but I’ve been the tech that has had to deal with landowners of the pipe I was taking care of after it was installed.

Keep In mind. The ROW people that you deal
    With prior and the contractors that install the pipe are generally not the same guy that will be stuck taking care of the assets once they’re in the ground. When it’s all said and done, if something was out of whack don’t take it out on the tech. Speaking from that stand point we generally spent a lot of time and more company money making landowners happy after the work was done, hopefully you get a good guy and if you can be one of the “good landowners” I promise he will help you out in anyway he can.
    Good information. So in the spirit of keeping a good relationship with the land owner, are pipeline companies usually pretty good about adjusting the path of the ROW based on the landowner's preferences? Obviously nothing extreme, but more along the lines of, "Hey, can it be moved 50 yards this way so it doesn't affect this, that, & the other?".

Comment

Originally posted by Pstraw View Post
      How small of a property?
      If they are wanting to run it under the pond, just have them 'bore' completely under your place. Won't disturb anything on top and you'll still get some $$$$. This is what we did on the last one that came thru us.
      Less than 25 acres. We would prefer to have the ROW go around the pond, which means it wouldn't have to be moved very far.

Comment

They can probably adjust the path to avoid the pond if you work with them. It all depends on the ROW people you’re dealing with. They just can’t adjust anything extreme because it would change the entire path and they’d end up having to adjust back both directions to compensate for one move. Lots of factors

They can bore under ponds but make sure they go plenty deep, I’ve seen where that’s gone wrong and they essentially drained the pond accidentally. But that’s more on the contractor than the pipeline company. They’re expected to know they’re job.

Comment

They can probably adjust the path to avoid the pond if you work with them. It all depends on the ROW people you’re dealing with. They just can’t adjust anything extreme because it would change the entire path and they’d end up having to adjust back both directions to compensate for one move. Lots of factors

They can bore under ponds but make sure they go plenty deep, I’ve seen where that’s gone wrong and they essentially drained the pond accidentally. But that’s more on the contractor than the pipeline company. They’re expected to know they’re job.
          Right. That's what I was thinking. I appreciate the info.

Comment

Which pipeline? We have 3 going through our property as is and have several other right always and 1 more looking to go through right now. They are going to be running about a mile on our place before they direct it a different route. They will claim eminent domain over you and you could possibly be screwed. IMO get an idea from other land owners, but we always go a step above and turn it over to our attorney. I personally don't care for them in our place and don't really care about the clearings for hunting as we do much more than just hunt. Just from property owner standpoint. Also make sure that they have proper coverage in insurance before stepping on your property. A rancher a few miles from us got into a bind when a guy got hurt. Make sure you also get damages from them.

Comment

Originally posted by Laner7 View Post
              Which pipeline? We have 3 going through our property as is and have several other right always and 1 more looking to go through right now. They are going to be running about a mile on our place before they direct it a different route. They will claim eminent domain over you and you could possibly be screwed. IMO get an idea from other land owners, but we always go a step above and turn it over to our attorney. I personally don't care for them in our place and don't really care about the clearings for hunting as we do much more than just hunt. Just from property owner standpoint. Also make sure that they have proper coverage in insurance before stepping on your property. A rancher a few miles from us got into a bind when a guy got hurt. Make sure you also get damages from them.
              Not sure to be honest. From what we can tell, the pipeline company wasn't even aware we had bought our property and our neighbor had bought his. Both small tracks. Both with plans to build structures. One track with a pond in the proposed path. Makes us wonder if they might go around us through a property that's probably never going to be "developed" due it's low elevation along a creek. Guess we'll see what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by JMKro View Post
                Not sure to be honest. From what we can tell, the pipeline company wasn't even aware we had bought our property and our neighbor had bought his. Both small tracks. Both with plans to build structures. One track with a pond in the proposed path. Makes us wonder if they might go around us through a property that's probably never going to be "developed" due it's low elevation along a creek. Guess we'll see what happens.
                They may not take the route near the creek due to permitting with wetlands. They can easily bore under your pond and you should be able to steer them in a direction that best fits you, withing reason of course.

Comment

Idk what they’re offer will look like, but get estimates or make them
                  Offer you money for any big mature trees they may want to knock down. I’ve heard some land owners getting a lot for big oak trees having to be removed. You can also throw in little stipulations like all the trees they take out having to be cut or removed as firewood and stacked up for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Tyler's Outdoor View Post
                    They may not take the route near the creek due to permitting with wetlands. They can easily bore under your pond and you should be able to steer them in a direction that best fits you, withing reason of course.
                    True, but some of the path of the proposed easement on our property is the same elevation as the property next door (the creek is the property boundary between us). The difference is that our property has a little more elevation in some areas.

Comment

Offer you money for any big mature trees they may want to knock down. I’ve heard some land owners getting a lot for big oak trees having to be removed. You can also throw in little stipulations like all the trees they take out having to be cut or removed as firewood and stacked up for you.
                      I hear you. At this point, we'd prefer to keep things like they are and not have the pipeline period. Guess we'll just have to see what shakes out.

Comment

I lost tons of mature oaks when a pipeline condemned my ROW, we actually settled outside of court for better terms than the people who fought against the pipeline.
                        And they paid a hefty $10K for damages and the ROW. That was 30 years ago the money is long gone, but the ROW is still here. And those oaks were a 100 yrs old. And the neighboring hunters can now see completely across my property.

I am not a fan of eminent domain ROW’s. Or anyone have “permanent rights” to cross my land.

BP

Comment

Do they have to keep the gas pipeline cleared. They don’t clear the one going through my property. Is there a map where gas and oil pipeline are running

Comment

1. Have them send what they are proposing in writing.
                            2. Talk with your neighbors about what they have heard and many will talk about how much per foot or per linear rod (which is 16.5 feet) they are being offered.

Comment

Found out it's going to be a 16" line. The permit from the RRC classifies it as a "Gas Utility" line, but the electronic map on the RRC's website lists it as a "Gas Gathering" line. From what we've read, it's pretty much a given that eminent domain is approved for the project if it's a utility line. However, we haven't seen anything stating that a gathering line project can be approved for eminent domain. Anyone knowledgeable on this? Also, is there any sort of documentation from the RRC or the state that verifies if a project has the power of eminent domain?

Comment

16 inch pipeline. Figure $2.00- $3.00 and inch so $32.00 to $48.00 a foot unless there are big trees etc that they will be chopping up. Good luck get with the neighbors and see what they are getting and share a cost of an attorney

Comment

Working...
                                X