Sendero chambering concern

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sendero chambering concern

Early this year I picked up a Remington Sendero SF2 25-06. Overall Ive been pleased with the rifle, I did the normal trigger swap and other than a scope mounting flub its been a decent rifle.
    I just have one concern and I am trying to pinpoint what the issue may be.

Im shooting Hornady American Whitetail 117 grains in it, relatively cheap but very proven ammo in my other 25-06. This rifle also shoots them well but i have noticed that when I go to chamber a round as the bolt goes to make the closed turn it feels very snug, and takes a bit more force than normal to chamber the round.

Would this be a bolt handle timing issue?

One is chambered shallower than the other. Take it to a gunsmith and see if they can chamber a “go” gauge.

Comment

Does it do this with other ammunition?

Comment

Originally posted by JakeGraves View Post
        One is chambered shallower than the other. Take it to a gunsmith and see if they can chamber a “go” gauge.
        you're saying one of the rifles is chambered shallower than the other?

And no I haven't tried any other ammo, this weekend when I make it to the lease I was going to borrow someone else's 25-06 ammo and try one of there rounds to see how it feels.

Comment

I've got a wide selection of 25-06 ammo (factory and handloads) if you need to check some in Corpus. Let me know.

Jason Slocum

Comment

Have you scrubbed the chamber out good? Powder/carbon fouling can build up and reduce chamber dimensions.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason Slocum View Post
              I've got a wide selection of 25-06 ammo (factory and handloads) if you need to check some in Corpus. Let me know.

Jason Slocum

Jason, appreciate that.
              If I don’t get to try something different this weekend I may take you up
              On it.

A little googling had brought up different answers to what sounds like this gun is doing.

One is ammo.
              One is a scope mount screw sticking through (looked, didn’t see that happening)
              Another was the extractor, nothing looks out of place on this one, I compared it to my other 700 bolts and looks basically identical in that area.

Comment

Originally posted by texag93 View Post
                Have you scrubbed the chamber out good? Powder/carbon fouling can build up and reduce chamber dimensions.
                Diddo, that's what I was thinking. Get a brass barrel brush that's a little bigger that the case it's self and clean the chamber. Then try a round in it.

Comment

I bought a SFII 4 years ago and I had an issue with the bolt not wanting to open after I shot. The gunsmith cleaned out the chamber and now she shoots lights out.

Comment

10-4
                    I’ll see what I can do.

Comment

Have you tried any other ammo? is it stiff when you close the bolt on an empty chamber?

If it is a scope base screw sticking thru it'll be stiff even if the chamber is empty.

Comment

It just needs to be polished out.

Comment

Working...
                        X