No announcement yet.

"Negative, Ghost Rider. The Pattern Is Full."

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Our place is right across the highway from and Air Force Base... AND we have constant Border Patrol choppers, planes, air boats... Used to bother me a LOT, but once I figger'd out that it DIDN'T bother the deer, I actually started to use the fly overs to my advantage... The noise can sure make it easier to get drawn on animals sometimes... I've had BP choppers circle my feeders while I'm in the stand and deer at the feeder, heck, the deer don't even look up any longer... They see/hear 'em every day so it's just natural for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Limbwalker View Post
      When I was doing forestry work in E. Texas in the early 90's, we would routinely have A-10 Warthogs fly over at treetop level and scare the crap out of us. I never got used to that. It was pretty cool, once the adrenaline settled though.

Was fishing a Lake Livingston tournament back in the 90's way back up in some dead tree's and had two A-10's come over a ridge about a 1/4 mile away from us. Plane on the left dives down and lines us up. I could see and he could see..... direct hit they wagged wings as they flew past.

pretty cool and will never forget how quick he located and lined our boat up

Comment

Originally posted by coker737 View Post
        That was me. Sorry if I messed yer hunt up. Had to get below the Radar. 500 knots @ 500 feet.
        That is hilarious! Your avatar is exactly what I saw! This was back in the 80's, south central Kansas. They may have been on a run to Volkswagen hill!

Comment

I had an Apache fly low and slow over my lease one time in Arkansas. It was close enough I could see the faces of the guys in the cockpit. I couldn't tell from the markings if it was out of Ft Polk or if it was the Attack Helicopter Bn out of the Ark ARNG.

I almost made a call to the commander of the ground component of the Ark ARNG who worked for me when I was a Captain. Ticked me off.

Comment

A lot of times an instructor will simulate a engine failure and have the student find a spot and fly to that spot simulating an emergency landing. Your mowed area probably looked real good. My instructor had me get real low before we powered up to exit the area

Comment

Happened again this morning, but not on public land. I was at a buddy's place and we had one fly past. A few minutes later, and I see his plane through a cut in the trees. He was throttled down so much that you couldn't even hear him. He kept creeping in and then when he got to the tree line where he was more out in the open, he throttled up and flew off. Again, when he did that, he was probably 200-300 feet off the ground.

Comment

Used to have fighter jets fly over and break the sound barrier on our old lease in San Saba. Would scare the crap out of ya!

Comment

In Oklahoma one year I was walking out about mid day, I looked back to the creek bottom I was in and see an A10 warthog flying tree top level... If a crow was on the top branch he would have been hit. I was standing there in awe watching when all of a sudden I hear the second one right over my head. I looked up and could clearly see the guys face. It scared me so bad I almost pooped right then and there. Its amazing how quiet those warthogs are until they are right on top of you.

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
                    A lot of times an instructor will simulate a engine failure and have the student find a spot and fly to that spot simulating an emergency landing. Your mowed area probably looked real good. My instructor had me get real low before we powered up to exit the area

Mine wanted to see if I could have put it down before we would hit the throttle.

Comment

Originally posted by junior View Post
                      Used to have fighter jets fly over and break the sound barrier on our old lease in San Saba. Would scare the crap out of ya!
                      Had one do a flyover on our place opening weekend...he couldn't have been more than 200-300 feet over the treeline. Reeeeally cool!

Comment

Originally posted by wassaw View Post
                        Was fishing a Lake Livingston tournament back in the 90's way back up in some dead tree's and had two A-10's come over a ridge about a 1/4 mile away from us. Plane on the left dives down and lines us up. I could see and he could see..... direct hit they wagged wings as they flew past.

pretty cool and will never forget how quick he located and lined our boat up
                        They used to fly the Warthog's over us on Lake Vernon pretty regular back in the 90's, cool to see a pilot give you a thumb's up as he slowly fly's by.

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
                          Yep. Mine would let me get low enough that I would start thinking he was gunna make me put it down for real. A couple of times I swear I thought I felt the corn rows! ( but not really )

Comment

I was hunting the corner of a field one morning when a cropduster zoomed in and started spraying. I didn't know what he was laying down but I figured it was not a good idea to take a shower in it. I left.

Comment

Yep, elk hunting back in Colorado in 83 NW of Colorado Springs and an A7 Corsair broke the sound barrier right over my head about 300 feet off the deck. Scared the hell out of me. I thought someone had just dropped a bomb on NORAD.

Also hunted in Comanche county for a number of years.
                              Watched some awesome mock dogfights from the birds out of Dyess in Ablilene.

One morning duck hunting on Lavon way back up in the timber when the lake was high we had a helicopter come up and hover over our decoy spread just above the trees.
                              He stayed there for 5 minutes then flew off only to come back 30 mins later and do it again.
                              Needless to say we didn't kill very many birds that AM.

Comment

The morning of the space shuttle disaster in between our debris searches, we actually had a grass fire to attend to. There were two fighter jets buzzing us so close I swear I could identify the pilots in a lineup. I guess they were checking to see if it was shuttle induced.
                                Those things are very big, and VERY LOUD!

Comment

Working...
                                X