Preferred bore indication method

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Preferred bore indication method

From using a precision ground indicating rod with bushings to long stem indicators...what do y'all prefer? I've been working with both and kinda just trying to settle on one way to skin my cats. I trust the bore itself more than I do an indicating rod with a bushing so I tend to indicate on the bore with a long stem. Only thing is that using the long stylus considerably increases the graduations of the indicator. I guess my question to the smiths on here is do you trust the accuracy of a ground rod setup such that your .0001 indicators read true? Late night thoughts by Casey...

I'm in for this one!

Comment

Long stem will be more accurate

Comment

I remembered this being talked about a bit on a thread before. I had actually saved it for a later reference.

Comment

Originally posted by JakeGraves View Post
          Long stem will be more accurate
          That's what I use exclusively now. Seems like a lot of smiths still use range rods though. Hard to find but I'm looking for a 2.75" stem Interapid .0001 indicator that's calibrated for the long stem. Gonna be a chunk of change for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by oneeye View Post
            http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...d.php?t=671932

I remembered this being talked about a bit on a thread before. I had actually saved it for a later reference.
            That was a nice thread to follow. Thinking about doing a live build soon.

Comment

Originally posted by kck View Post
              That's what I use exclusively now. Seems like a lot of smiths still use range rods though. Hard to find but I'm looking for a 2.75" stem Interapid .0001 indicator that's calibrated for the long stem. Gonna be a chunk of change for sure.
              I’m almost positive Interapid doesn’t make one with a 2.75” stem with .0001 resolution. I think only .0005.

Comment

Brown and Sharpe makes a .00005 that, I believe, can be fitted with a longer stem that will give around a .0002 true reading. TESA (we use their micro hite’s at my shop) makes one as well but it’s closer to a grand i think so that may be a little too rich for me!

Comment

Brown and Sharpe makes a .00005 that, I believe, can be fitted with a longer stem that will give around a .0002 true reading. TESA (we use their micro hite’s at my shop) makes one as well but it’s closer to a grand i think so that may be a little too rich for me!
                  Got dang! Ya, me too lol. I hear TESA is top shelf stuff. What shop? My dad is from La Grange, and we have a shop in Brenham.

Comment

Originally posted by Scoobyh View Post
                    Got dang! Ya, me too lol. I hear TESA is top shelf stuff. What shop? My dad is from La Grange, and we have a shop in Brenham.
                    Mico Machine on Reynolds St. Come on by and I’ll give ya the dime tour! Doing some work for MIC and I bring parts to Brenham regularly so holler and we can stop for a cold one.

Comment

Mico Machine on Reynolds St. Come on by and I’ll give ya the dime tour! Doing some work for MIC and I bring parts to Brenham regularly so holler and we can stop for a cold one.
                      Ah gotcha. Sorry for the thread derail, I’ll send ya a pm.

Comment

Is this the one you guys are talking about? will it work?

We have a big discount with MSC, so going to check and see what they can do on the price.

We got a new lathe at work that I am going to try and start trying to teach myself on. Going to start making some of my jigs and fixtures, hopefully chamber a rifle or two here in the next year.

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro View Post
                          Is this the one you guys are talking about? will it work?

We have a big discount with MSC, so going to check and see what they can do on the price.

We got a new lathe at work that I am going to try and start trying to teach myself on. Going to start making some of my jigs and fixtures, hopefully chamber a rifle or two here in the next year.

https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/06442784
                          That one should be a true .0005 with the long stem but the one I’m talking about is over a grand and it’s true .0001 with the long stem. I’m a little to scared to spring for that one though! However, the one you sent the link on is more than adequate since it’s a true .0005. If you can get the needle on that one coming back to the same spot then you’re surely within .0002.

Comment

Look at post #62 in my link above. Looks like a great time to buy!

Comment

Looking at post #62 was what led me to the indicator I linked to. I was thinking that was it, but wanted clarification.

Quote on the one I linked came back at $250 going through our rep. I think I will go ahead and get it. One of those things I am just going to have to bite the bullet on I think. One of those things you gotta have, no way around it.

Comment

Working...
                              X