Filling Void in Polymer Stock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Filling Void in Polymer Stock

Anyone used anything to fill the void in a polymer stock? Tried the foam that was a disaster. Anyone else have some advice??

I filled the butt stock of my Ruger Preditor rifle with a product called Smooth on Silicone mold making liquid rubber from Amazon. It cost around $26 for the 2.8 ounce two part mix. I put two 1/2" hot water pieces of pvc with tape on the end that went inside of the stock and lubricated them. once the material set I pulled the pvc pipe out of the material. I did this to create a couple of hollow tubes to act as dampeners. I used Rockcrete to fill the crossed sections in the forearm. I am very happy with the extra weight and the stiffening of the stock.

Comment

in for replies …

Comment

Rockite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

old memory foam...from mattress or pillow...cram it in there and keepncramming..will add weight and fill most of thing

Comment

Originally posted by 4dog View Post
            old memory foam...from mattress or pillow...cram it in there and keepncramming..will add weight and fill most of thing
            +1

Comment

What are you trying to accomplish? I'm thinking you want to stiffen the stock but may be mistaken.

Comment

I take the recoil pad off, put a sock in the hole then fill it with BB's until the void is full.
                then zip tie the sock closed, lope off the excess sock material and reinstall recoil pad.

This adds weight, reduces the hollow noise and is removable.

Comment

I've built a handful of Specialty Pistol stocks from cut down Choate Ultimate Varmint rifle stocks. My goal there is to stiffen and at the same time to add weight. I fill the larger areas with brass bar cut to fit the voids loosely and then fill around it with Devcon epoxy mixed with brass coated bb's. Becomes solid and adds the needed weight and will not break or move. it is permanent though.

Comment

I filled mine with liquid latex I bought on Amazon. Helped out a bunch, and did not add too much weight.

Comment

Working...
                    X