Using a "gobbler" call for turkeys?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using a "gobbler" call for turkeys?

Anyone ever use a gobbler call for turkeys? Specifically the Primos 274 Double Gobble call. I've never tried a gobble call for male turkeys, only female voices. Thoughts?

We had one years ago “the shaker” by primos and it sounded good to my ears but it seemed to never work like advertised. I can recall one Tom and one Jake that fell victim to it but other than that it seemed to just spook them away or we just used it wrong. Probably the latter.

Comment

Hunted all weekend and never heard a gobbler. Tried several box calls but i don't use a gobbler call. The TPWD said there were more Jakes this year than gobblers.

We only saw hens!!!

Comment

The only time I gobble to a turkey is when I am sure that I am calling to a very dominant bird. One that will stop what he's doing to go whip somebody's tailfeathers. For all other birds, this is will put them out of the mood of love and down the trail.
        I would be especially careful to use this call in this season as we have TOO many jakes and they are ganging up on the old birds and whipping them when they gobble like a bunch of gang bangers.
        On the bright side, he has to be more effective than the locater calls that came out with in the early 90's. A silent dog whistle that hit frequencies that a hunter could not hear but turkeys did and made them gobble. Problem is, turkeys don't hear ultrasonics….
        Adios,
        Gary

Comment

I use it as a locater. Works really well. Once I hear a bird I switch to clucking.

Comment

I hunted all weekend and never got a gobble! Use a box call most the time I get response real quick but not this past weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have killed all my birds with a push button type call.

Comment

I've called in two hunters using it on public land.

Be careful how you setup if there are other hunters in the area. One came up looking at my decoy and never saw me until I yelled at him.

Comment

I will gobble to locate birds on the roost or try it on a gobbler with hens. Rarely works but it’s the only thing that I’ve found that’s works when they have hens
                  Last edited by Jcjohnson; 04-06-2020, 05:38 PM.

Comment

Pretty much as a locator call only. I literally carry everything there is in my vest....just in case. Hooter,crow call, gobble tube. You just need ONE to give away his location to possibly have a successful hunt. Some will shock to certain things....some to other things. Good luck!
                    Last edited by Passthrough; 04-06-2020, 05:53 PM.

Comment

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYfDnc42wog"]How to blow a turkey call. - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntertex View Post
                        I use it as a locater. Works really well. Once I hear a bird I switch to clucking.
                        This

Comment

Originally posted by Passthrough View Post
                          Pretty much as a locator call only. I literally carry everything there is in my vest....just in case. Hooter,crow call, gobble tube. You just need ONE to give away his location to possibly have a successful hunt. Some will shock to certain things....some to other things. Good luck!

Thanks for all the info fellas. I've got nearly everything in my vest as well. Just not a gobbler call. We heard lots of gobbling this past weekend. But we ran out of property and couldn't get the birds to come to us. I was just wondering if a gobbler call might make 'em mad enough to fight, and do something stupid.

Thanks for all the info everyone.

Comment

Working...
                          X