Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How are the Beef/Chicken/Pig Ranchers doing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Since show auction was cancelled, we looked at current market today for dairy heifers. We supplied I believe 5 this year counting my daughters first show heifer. We always try and help them out. Breaks m heart for them... but that’s life and ag.

Breakdown:

Calf - $300
    Milk- $180
    Feed -$400
    Hay-$30
    Health papers-$100
    Entry fee- $25

Total-$1035.... many have barn rent, show supplies, bedding ect

If sold TODAY in dairy sale... UP TO $320.... and that’s most of their only option

400 weight steers (Holstein) $0.35-$0.42 pound

Comment

I was reading the other day that sheep are actually more profitable. Texas accounts for ~ 50% of the US's sheep farming. I know with the larger ethnic populations theres probably somewhat higher demand, but someone must be paying the prices? It always goes for an arm and a leg per bw versus beef, and I know some stores are always selling it. I like mutton and lamb myself but always wondered what the economy of scale was for this or if it's a localized market deal.

Comment

We have 3 racks of lamb in the freezer. The sales seem to be solid over the last few years.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ditchdigger2 View Post
          We are in the chicken business also, we have two Tyson broiler farms but the current events haven’t increased our end any actually it’s more on the slow end. At busy times we would be about two weeks between flocks but currently it’s a month or little more.
          A friend and I looked into Sanderson Farms about 3 years ago. The numbers just were not what I expected, especially based on the commitment it was going to take. I did hear Tyson was better to work with.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by AlaskaFlyerFan View Post
            Don't people keep some food in their houses? I think its hilarious when you go to the store and the shelves are empty! I'm single and have enough food in my house to survive for at least 6 months! And I'm not a prepper, either!
            Must have a big house and not feeding multiple kids.

We don't buy much beef but seeing plenty on the shelf. Chicken is hit and miss and the pigs are abundant. Just dropped a sausage maker off at Plantation meats.

If anyone in the Fort Worth or Abilene area needs a pig for the table let me know and I'll do my best to get one to you skinned and quartered.

Gary
            Last edited by DRT; 04-06-2020, 05:21 PM.

Comment

Prolly take a miracle, but wish there was some magical way the cattle folks could just not sell anything for a few weeks or a month and then slowly start selling a few and make em hurt a lil bit. Yeah, I know, bills gotta get paid etc...hypothetical dream. Just sucks when they don't slice the pie right and the folks producing the groceries keep getting the smallest slice.

Comment

Working...
              X