Northern or Florida Hybrid LM Bass?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Northern or Florida Hybrid LM Bass?

I have a 1 acre pond that will be ready to stock with bass this spring. I have built up the bluegill and minnow population over the last 1.5 years.
    I will be ordering from Dunn's fish farm most likely, and they have the option between regular northern and Florida Hybrid LM bass.
    I have read that pure Floridas aren't really desired, but not sure about the Hybrid. My understanding is that Floridas are harder to catch but get bigger. Are Hybrid's as aggressive to lurers as the northerns?

Also, what would be the ideal size to stock? Options range from 2-8" in 2" increments.

The goal for this pond would be a recreational spot to catch bass for the kiddos. I would would prefer to catch a lot of 3-4 pounders over catching just a few 6+ lb size bass.
    Last edited by 44mAG; 04-06-2020, 11:22 AM.

Go with whichever is cheaper, florida hybrid is just a pure florida/northern cross which whats in most our lakes today anyways. Pure Floridas are the ones that have world record potential but pure floridas are very sensitive to cold fronts and get bad lockjaw, just watch any pro tournament on youtube that was held in Florida (Okeechobee, St. Johns, Toho) the anglers usually have to battle with this tough bite at least one day of the tournament. Look at the tpwd sharelunker program website there are plenty florida/northern hybrids that have reached over 13lbs.

Comment

I've fished a private lake in Florida, and I caught a 10 and 13 lber in one weekend. I know nothing about the variations of LMB, but I know that Florida bass get LARGE.

Comment

We have Florida hybrids in our 35 ac lake and we catch bass all day long almost any day with no problems. It has taken many years to get here but we have a large population of shad and baitfish.

We catch a lot of 3-5 lbs bass, occasionally catch 6-8 lbs and the biggest was caught by Conley (Simsknives) at 11.5 lbs

Comment

Florida's will get larger. As mentioned they will shut down with Cold Fronts. Are they harder to catch maybe but for the most part you can catch them anytime. Now on a 1 acre lake you most likely won't produce Trophy fish on a regular basis. Look at Overton Fishery for quality fish

Comment

Thanks guys. What size of bass would you recommend we stock? The smallest fingerlings, or slightly bigger?

Comment

Originally posted by 44mAG View Post
              Thanks guys. What size of bass would you recommend we stock? The smallest fingerlings, or slightly bigger?
              Fingerlings if you don't mind waiting a couple of yrs to fish'em

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
                Fingerlings if you don't mind waiting a couple of yrs to fish'em
                Why do you recommend fingerlings? Saying you could afford to buy larger why would you not? Not being a ***, I'm just curious because we're about to stock our pond as well. We're talking about getting catchable sized fish to stock it with.

Comment

We stocked natives. If you have enough food they can grow quickly too.
                  Apparently the Florida bass will get smart to lures quicker.

We bought ours at 9-10 inch size and have not had any problems.

Comment

Originally posted by 44mAG View Post
                    Do you have a forage base of bait fish established yet, the stocking folks will tell you you need to have a established population of blue gill, red ear, bream and minnows so the bass will live but you should already have crayfish and invertebrates already in there they can partially live on.

Comment

Originally posted by breederbuck33 View Post
                      Why do you recommend fingerlings? Saying you could afford to buy larger why would you not? Not being a ***, I'm just curious because we're about to stock our pond as well. We're talking about getting catchable sized fish to stock it with.
                      That is mighty mighty pricey, most all hatcheries only sell fingerlings in 2 sizes I think, you might could get grown fish from Camelot Bell. Transfering fish from lakes isn't feasible since possession limit is only 10 and its illegal anyways with the zebra mussel regulations about clean drain and dry when leaving the lake.
                      Last edited by bossbowman; 04-06-2020, 03:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bossbowman View Post
                        That is mighty mighty pricey, most all hatcheries only sell fingerlings in 2 sizes I think, you might could get grown fish from Camelot Bell. Transfering fish from lakes isn't feasible since possession limit is only 10 and its illegal anyways with the zebra mussel regulations about clean drain and dry when leaving the lake.
                        We have 3 of us pitching in to stock a 2 acre pond on family property. Pond has never been stocked, so we plan on splitting the bill and putting enough fat head minnows and perch to sustain the larger bass. We live right by a canal, so the pond already has a bunch of minnows, frogs, and some perch in it.

Comment

Originally posted by breederbuck33 View Post
                          Overton's sells adult Northern bass for $20/lb. They can be very hard to come by from most places though.

Comment

I put some Florida hybrid in a 2 acre tank I had great numbers and size of Texas LMB. Worst mistake I ever made. Asked the fishery I get all my fish from what they think might of happened and they asked if there was much structure in the tank. Told them not really just a few trees, they said that was the problem. Apparently Florida are much more aggressive and will eat the tank out of house and home if there is not enough structure for baitfish, sunfish etc... the number fish in tank has been greatly diminished. Just my 2 cents.

Comment

Check with Henneke fish farm in halletsville. They will answer all your questions. I would put bass and hybrid blue cats too. Jmo

Comment

Working...
                              X