Reality is setting in ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reality is setting in ...

... for my senior students. I just got off my weekly Zoom meeting with my seniors and what a difference a week makes. The first two weeks, their outlook was a mixture of disbelief, concern, and happiness that they were getting an extended break from school. Today was completely different. Their morale has shifted dramatically to sadness and foreboding. The reality of the probability of no senior sports, no prom, no graduation, is setting in. I feel for them. I don't have the answers and meeting over a dang computer is no way to try and comfort them. I've been doing this a looooong time and this senior class is one of my all time favorites. That was an ugly meeting and I am not looking forward to the rest of the year. I hate this for them.
    Last edited by bklem; 04-06-2020, 09:26 AM.

Prayers for you and your students my friend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

You sound like a great teacher! I guess this is an opportunity to teach a life lesson and how plans or lack of plans can happen in an instance. Keep at it sir!

Comment

Originally posted by bklem View Post
        ... for my senior students. I just got off my weekly Zoom meeting with my seniors and what a difference a week makes. The first two weeks, their outlook was a mixture of disbelief, concern, and happiness that they were getting an extended break from school. Today was completely different. Their morale has shifted dramatically to sadness and foreboding. The reality of the probability of no senior sports, no prom, no graduation, is setting in. I feel for them. I don't have the answers and meeting over a dang computer is no way to try and comfort them. I've been doing this a looooong time and this senior class is one of my all time favorites. That was an ugly meeting and I am not looking forward the the rest of the year. I hate this for them.
        Gotta be a tough spot for them, I feel bad for all the students having to deal with this, especially seniors who are missing out on college and scholarship opportunities due to sports being canceled, etc. Hope for their sake you're not an English teacher (j/k). I think you taught my wife a dozen years ago and brother in law more recently.
        Last edited by kae006; 04-06-2020, 09:16 AM.

Comment

It could be worse. They could being drafted to a world war, or Vietnam. They aint got it that bad. This will be over much sooner than a war and less deadly if they keep their butt at home.

Comment

Yep, if the kids were still in school and they didn't shut everything down we would be over this BS already

Comment

This is a tough situation. Thanks for your level of caring and leadership. No doubt your example is teaching these young adults lessons that will last a lifetime.

Comment

Originally posted by Terrell_County View Post
                Yep, if the kids were still in school and they didn't shut everything down we would be over this BS already
                How do you figure?

Comment

[QUOTE=kae006;14797483]How do you figure?[/QUOTE

Protect our elderly and let the virus run its course so we build up herd immunity just like every other flu that has come along.

Comment

Originally posted by kae006 View Post
                    Gotta be a tough spot for them, I feel bad for all the students having to deal with this, especially seniors who are missing out on college and scholarship opportunities due to sports being canceled, etc. Hope for their sake you're not an English teacher (j/k). I think you taught my wife a dozen years ago and brother in law more recently.
                    Hmmmm, you have piqued my interest. Do tell.

Comment

Prayers Up for You & your students.

Comment

I definitely feel for the seniors...

However, myself and few others discussing it on a different form were quickly reminded that they don’t have it that bad...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

My youngest son is about to graduate college and will not walk due to this Covid-19. I told him recently that one day he and many others will be able to look back as being part of something very historical. Many students and athletes will never get recognized for their accomplishments. But, life lessons and what is really important in life will be recognized by many that may not have ever happened had this not occurred.

I truly think this will awaken a lot of today's youth and help them later in life.
                          Last edited by Bayouboy; 04-06-2020, 10:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bklem View Post
                            Hmmmm, you have piqued my interest. Do tell.

PM sent

Comment

Yes, it's all about perspective, but as the parent of a senior it's definitely a difficult situation for them (and us.) The principal at Hallettsville posted a letter last week that he is going to do everything he can to see that they are able to "walk" for graduation, in one form or another.
                              My Flickr Photos

Comment

Working...
                              X