Property lines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Property lines

I'm building a new fence on my property line. I have a certified survey.

How do I physically mark the property line? Its cleared now and I'm real close but I'm concerned its not accurate.

Can anyone on here help me?

Does the survey show corner stakes? If so, get you a metal detector.

Comment

Yup. Find metal stakes. They are there. Drive t post and run a line.

Comment

When I doubt I have the surveyor locate the pins.

I have seen two houses built across lines because the builder thought the pin he found was the correct pin.

My surveyor will come out and locate/set new pins for $150 on a residential lot.

Comment

Fing the stakes, stretch a line or wire, there you go.

Comment

The surveyor should have marked the line if it’s a new survey, if it’s not, one can mark it for you every 100’ or 200’, or however you want it marked.

Comment

Originally posted by GA Bowhunter View Post
              When I doubt I have the surveyor locate the pins.
              This right here, nothing else matters. Spend some money now to have the previous surveyor update and noticeably flag their work or just have another survey done to be sure.

It will likely cost more than $150 but look into it anyway as it’ll likely be a lot cheaper than just finding what you think is your property corner and building a fence to that, only to find out that what you found isn’t what you thought it was or where it should be and then having to pay to have the fence moved.

Comment

A metal detector! Why didn't I think of that!? I know there are rods because we have them at the other corners. This is this only one I can't find.

As far as running a string line... hahaha the line is 1400' long and there's a rise in the middle.

FWIW - I was using the a Garmin GLO GPS as a mock GPS and Hunt Stand app to locate the property lines. It is amazingly accurate, but does slip a tad. So if worse comes to worse I think I can get by with it.

Comment

IF you can locate the corner pins then you can figure it out. When I first got my golf property it was all woods, briars, and brush. I had a plat and found the pins, one of which was easy as it was on the hwy. I shot a line with my compass and started walking and marking with survey flagging tape. Kept going back and forth orange one way, then pink the other. Each pass, about 1500' the line got tighter. I then went back and remarked with actual survey stakes. Based off the interior corner and my flagged line I was then able to work out the other lines using the same strategy. Amazingly my redneck survey ended up being very, very close to the lines when I eventually had the original survey updated.

If there's no trees and brush and the line isn't too long it'll be a breeze to figure out.
                  Then ya can stretch an actual line and locate your centers for your fence.
                  Last edited by Slicefixer; 12-16-2020, 07:58 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X