Appraisal question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Appraisal question

1. Do you HAVE to let the county appraiser in your house by law?

2. Do yall let them in your house or tell them no and let them just look from the outside?

Going to be dealing with them in the near future and looking for advise

NO I have never let them in my home and won't.

Comment

Never in a million years

Comment

Do what you want, but it doesn't pay to mess with the tax man.

Comment

I would not let them in my house or on my property. They should be able to do whatever they need to by satellite images.

Why are you having to deal with them?

Comment

Oh hell no!

Comment

Might as well invite him over for dinner if you're gonna let him in. Heck no, they'd never step foot in my house.

Comment

Originally posted by mmoses View Post
                I would not let them in my house or on my property. They should be able to do whatever they need to by satellite images.

Why are you having to deal with them?
                in the process of having our house built on our 3 acres. they have not started coming around yet but I know they are going to try to get their fingers in the pot as soon as they can. house should be done around July.

another question, if property taxes % change, does that also affect the amount taken off for my current exemptions. (ex: tax rate was 1.71% in 2019 and after Ag exemption assessed value was $180. Then it was 1.57% in 2020 but the appraised value after Ag exemption was $237) so taxes went down, assessed value after our ag exemption of 3 acres increased. this normal?

no it is not breaking the bank I am just very particular with my money and how much I give for taxes.
                Last edited by forced-2-work; 01-20-2021, 11:41 AM.

Comment

1) No

2) No

They are much more likely to get your house square footage incorrect if you’re building a 2 story house. What I would do, is politely decline letting them inside/on the property. Then wait for your next round of taxes to come out and make sure they didn’t over estimate your house square footage.

They will and often do, guess your square footage. It will benefit you greatly to be paying attention to their “guess”.

Comment

How do people handle corrections based on satellite images when you have a lot of porch area? For instance, you have a 3000 sq ft house, but you have 2000 sq ft of garage and porches. It would look like a 5000 sq ft house from above?

Same for a shop. Say you have a 40'x60' shop, but you also have two 20'x60' lean-tos? It would look like a 80'x60' shop?

Comment

Originally posted by 44mAG View Post
                      How do people handle corrections based on satellite images when you have a lot of porch area? For instance, you have a 3000 sq ft house, but you have 2000 sq ft of garage and porches. It would look like a 5000 sq ft house from above?

Same for a shop. Say you have a 40'x60' shop, but you also have two 20'x60' lean-tos? It would look like a 80'x60' shop?

They will simply over tax you and you will have to provide evidence to prove truth. Then it is corrected.

Comment

No you don't need to let them inside.

For 2021 the house will not be assessed since it was not present on Jan 1.

See where it shakes out when it is assessed and if its too high, fight it with documentation from your build. If its not, let it be.

Comment

I do not think the inside of your house has any bearing on the valuation. They are mainly going by square footage, not the inside, but the outside dimensions of the house, which includes the siding. So if you add brick or rock, that adds to the square footage.

Comment

Originally posted by 44mAG View Post

They can pull permits and use that. If they count all of it, you can get them to correct it pretty easily.

Comment

Originally posted by Ishi&Elvis View Post
                              I do not think the inside of your house has any bearing on the valuation. They are mainly going by square footage, not the inside, but the outside dimensions of the house, which includes the siding. So if you add brick or rock, that adds to the square footage.
                              It dang sure does. They have different level of finishes in every county I have ever been taxed in. Can be builder grade finishes or 5+ custom. Huge difference to the taxing authority.

Comment

Working...
                              X