How long to gut?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kingranch View Post
    I'd like to see these quick gut practice without clipping the poop shoot... I've done it every way possible and if you want your meat to be clean the best way in my opinion is gutless hanging from back legs and then at very end cut around the colon to remove the tenders
    The way I do it, is you simply cut around the **** cavity from the outside. It really helps if you run your knife blade up into the cavity area a few inches and make sure you cut all the way around it. Then, when you pull the guts out, everything comes right out with the guts. No breaking the pelvic area open, and all comes out clean.

Comment

Didn't know (ana l) was a bad word!!!

Comment

Originally posted by bugleboy View Post
        The way I do it, is you simply cut around the **** cavity from the outside. It really helps if you run your knife blade up into the cavity area a few inches and make sure you cut all the way around it. Then, when you pull the guts out, everything comes right out with the guts. No breaking the pelvic area open, and all comes out clean.
        This way^^^^^

Comment

Originally posted by bugleboy View Post
          I used to do this when I would take to processor but I haven't taken a whole deer to a processor in prolly 10 years... in texas unless you can cram a tiny doe whole in ice chest I don't see how it's possible keep the meat cool whole.
          I guess my point is why gut it if you plan to quarter and put on ice quick.

Comment

I had a hunter time me one time at 46 seconds. Had I known I was being timed I wouldn't have taken so long.

Comment

Don't know why it always seems to be a race or how fast to some, never thought of that way. Anyway about 10 to 15 depends if I have any help.

Comment

I don't get as much practice as I'd like, and I'm not particularly fast at anything I get a lot of practice in (say, cooking) so I'm usually more like 20 minutes. In case anyone's reading this thread and feeling self-conscious.

Comment

I don't normally gut anything anymore but one of the hunts my son was on recently TPWD wanted to get the field dressed weight. The mosquitos were so bad I gutted that thing fast, had to be 90 seconds maybe 2 minutes. Kid was laughing at me from the blind because I'd slice and flap my arms all around and run in a circle and slice and pull and flap some more. lol

Comment

I take my time and my dad and brother give me hard time for "taking so long". My dad once had a doe gutted so fast the heart was still twitching. My uncle and several other witnessed, he is real quick.

Comment

I dont gut deer, unless I'm on a hunt that requires it.

Comment

4 minutes the last time I timed myself.

Comment

Hangin' from our rack with gut bucket underneath...easily under 3-4 minutes although Ive never done it for speed nor do I care too.. I don't do it out in the field at ground/foot level due to dunlap disease unless I absolutely have to . Personally I prefer to do it in zero seconds and get the tenderloins through the side.

Comment

5-10 min. Its not something you want to screw up.

Comment

I am slow. Call me what you want, I would just agree with you. I hate doing it, I don't like guts. I fear puncturing the intestines... I would say it takes me 30 or 40 minutes. I have only done it about 4 or 5 times in my life though. Twice this year and the 2nd time it was noticeably quicker... I am sure I will get quicker with time as I get more accustomed to it.

Comment

I never gut them till I have them hanging up on the Gimble. Takes me about an hour to quarter one and get it on Ice. Pigs sometimes take longer than deer. I take my time and do a good job however long it takes me. If you don't already have one of the new replaceable razor blade knives get one they help alot and save much time. I got a real cool Titanium handle one with 10 blades from CountyComm for 24 bucks.

Comment

Working...
                                X