Can-nundrum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can-nundrum

I'm currently waiting for my stamp for a YHM Resonator 30 cal. (My only suppressor so far). I'm thinking about buying another one but not sure what to get.

I know a lot of folks say you need a 22, 45, and 30 cal can. I haven't shot a 22 in about two years so I'm not sure I would get a lot of use from a 22 can. Likewise, I'd have to buy a barrel for my 1911 or glocks to use a 45 suppressor. I am not crazy about the size of a suppressed centerfire pistol either.

So I am considering buying another rifle can.

Thoughts?

dedicated 5.56 can. Go surefire 5.56 RC2 or RC2 mini

you wont want to shoot ARs unsuppressed ever again and it will live on your AR. 30 cal cans on 5.56 are too long IMO.

Comment

Go for a really light 5.56 suppressor.

Comment

What are you looking for? Suppressed supers or subs? It makes a difference.

I have that can. It works GREAT on 30 caliber AND on 5.56 so I wouldn't buy another can for rifle if I were you. Check the performance specs but the resonator R2 beat almost every can out there in DB reduction if you google "30 cal can shootout" in both .30 cal and 5.56.

In addition to my YHM, I bought a rugged obsidian .45 (same as the 9mm - just the end cap is diff). I bought a few attachments/pistons and use it on .22LR, .380, 9mm, 1911 45ACP, and 300 blackout subs. Rifles/Carbines I use quick attach adapters and for pistols, direct thread. It's a GREAT can in terms of price and performance so you might consider that one.

With two cans, I suppress more than half a dozen toys. 9MM 147s are sub as are 230 grain FMJ. Super quiet...
        Last edited by ken800; 01-18-2021, 10:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ken800 View Post
          What are you looking for? Suppressed supers or subs? It makes a difference.

I have that can. It works GREAT on 30 caliber AND on 5.56 so I wouldn't buy another can for rifle if I were you. Check the performance specs but the resonator R2 beat almost every can out there in DB reduction if you google "30 cal can shootout" in both .30 cal and 5.56.

In addition to my YHM, I bought a rugged obsidian .45 (same as the 9mm - just the end cap is diff). I bought a few attachments/pistons and use it on .22LR, .380, 9mm, 1911 45ACP, and 300 blackout subs. Rifles/Carbines I use quick attach adapters and for pistols, direct thread. It's a GREAT can in terms of price and performance so you might consider that one.

With two cans, I suppress more than half a dozen toys. 9MM 147s are sub as are 230 grain FMJ. Super quiet...

This is why I bought a resonator too. You absolutely cannot beat that can for the price point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I've got no desires to shoot subs in a rifle for anything other than a range toy.

Comment

IMO, and many that I’ve guided down the same road over the last ten years, pistol cans suck! The only two I’ve owned I sold, and I’ve passed up a handful more of free ones. I’ve told a lot of people that over the years, and half buy them anyways. Of those half usually more than half tell me I was right a year or two later.

When I bought my first 22 can I hadn’t shot 22s in 5+ years. Had absolutely zero desire. I LOVE shooting suppressed 22s ever since I’ve bought my first. By far the most fun cans I own. Personally I’d buy 2 rifles cans and a 22 can long before I bought 1 rifle, 1 pistol, and 1 22. Heck I’d buy 5 rifle cans before a single pistol can.

Comment

Originally posted by ultrastealth View Post
                Go for a really light 5.56 suppressor.
                There’s enough compact light 30 Cals on the market to not have a need for a dedicated 556 can these days. The only 556 can I bought was in 2012, and I have yet to need another. At the time short compact 30 cals weren’t a thing yet.

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
                  IMO, and many that I’ve guided down the same road over the last ten years, pistol cans suck!
                  I'm curious why you think that? I really like my rugged obsidian. It can be shortened by removing the short section and it fits in my nightstand so I know that if I ever have to use it, I'll still maintain some level of situation awareness. I put one of those trijicon big orange front night sights so that I can point and shoot it it ever comes to that.

I regularly shoot my 1911s and my 9mm with it and it is extremely quiet, even when shooting 9mm with the .45 end cap. Given that .45ACP 230g ball is subsonic and 147gr 9mm is as well, they are both quite fun to shoot. I've not tried shooting it wet but I will at some point... Perhaps medical gel.

Comment

Originally posted by TacticalCowboy View Post
                    I've got no desires to shoot subs in a rifle for anything other than a range toy.
                    Roger that. My only subs will be the 300 blackout and short range on feral hogs and even then I question if it is an ethical hunting method. Other than that it's a range toy.

Comment

I'm new to the CAN Game & recently filed for & purchased a DEAD AIR " NOMAD " just playing the waiting game now..... Does anyone have one of these or had any experience with this can ???? If so did I make a good choice or not ??? The guy at the place I purchased from said that's all he runs & has 5 of the, so I figured it must be good ??? I will be using on my 300blk & AR 223

Comment

Originally posted by ken800 View Post
                        I'm curious why you think that? I really like my rugged obsidian. It can be shortened by removing the short section and it fits in my nightstand so I know that if I ever have to use it, I'll still maintain some level of situation awareness. I put one of those trijicon big orange front night sights so that I can point and shoot it it ever comes to that.

I regularly shoot my 1911s and my 9mm with it and it is extremely quiet, even when shooting 9mm with the .45 end cap. Given that .45ACP 230g ball is subsonic and 147gr 9mm is as well, they are both quite fun to shoot. I've not tried shooting it wet but I will at some point... Perhaps medical gel.
                        Shooting a suppressed pistol vs an unsuppressed pistol is very different. The recoil impulse is different. I don’t have any desire to shoot pistols two different ways. I carry 24/7 for defensive purposes, and if I’m ever in a defensive scenario it’ll be with an unsuppressed pistol. Also pistols are long and unwieldy with a can, which I don’t care for. They’re amusing at first, but by the 3rd or 4th time they lose any luster they once had. I know far more people that agree with that sentiment than don't. Including those at the companies who manufacture them.

As far as a nightstand gun I agree with your thought process. I’d much rather shoot with a suppressed pistol in the house than a unsuppressed pistol. That said I’m grabbing a suppressed 556 SBR should the need arise. It’s less unwieldy than a pistol with a 4-6” can hanging off the front of it at arms length, much less likely to over penetrate walls with proper loads. Not to mention I’ve got more faith in a 556 stopping a perp in his tracks than a 9mm or 45.

Sub guns are a totally different animal. Absolutely like them suppressed, but if that’s the case I’d rather have a dedicated sub gun can such as the Wolfman. By the time someone reaches sub gun territory they’re usually long past the 1-2 dedicated cans, and are looking at all the cans haha
                        Last edited by TX03RUBI; 01-18-2021, 11:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Stickers View Post
                          I'm new to the CAN Game & recently filed for & purchased a DEAD AIR " NOMAD " just playing the waiting game now..... Does anyone have one of these or had any experience with this can ???? If so did I make a good choice or not ??? The guy at the place I purchased from said that's all he runs & has 5 of the, so I figured it must be good ??? I will be using on my 300blk & AR 223
                          You’ll be more than happy with your Nomad. Probably my single favorite rifle can, and I’ve had quite a few.

Comment

You’ll be more than happy with your Nomad. Probably my single favorite rifle can, and I’ve had quite a few.
                            Appreciate the responce, I cant wait to put it to use.

Comment

Sub guns are a totally different animal. Absolutely like them suppressed, but if that’s the case I’d rather have a dedicated sub gun can such as the Wolfman. By the time someone reaches sub gun territory they’re usually long past the 1-2 dedicated cans, and are looking at all the cans haha
                              Why did you have to post that. I spent yesterday and last night looking at subguns and now I need one with a can...

Comment

Working...
                              X