Double whitetail pedestal cedar log mount

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Double whitetail pedestal cedar log mount

November 4, 2018, I was blessed to have the opportunities to punch both of my Oklahoma buck tags on the same day. On the morning hunt, I was carrying my smokepole and had this fella show up. I was hunting a different deer and although I had a handful of pics of this buck, I honestly didn't know if I'd shoot him or not with not having much history or knowing for sure if he was old enough. When he showed up, he got the automatic green light.
    Attached Files

Following

Comment

That evening, I sat in a spot where I'd gotten a few pictures of a buck I'd had 4 years of history with, but called him ghost because he literally would vanish every year a couple weeks into season, and in 2017 disappeared completely so I figured he was dead. Nov 1, 2018 rolled thru and I was shocked when I had a picture of him! The morning I killed the 8 point, I had several daylight pictures of him and figured I'd give it a whirl and as fate would have it, he made his appearance that evening and I was able to capitalize with my longbow.
      Attached Files

Comment

Automatic green light approved!

Comment

That is a day!!!

Comment

Hell of a a season sir! Congrats. Hell of a day!!!

Comment

Soooo, I had two bucks down and couldn't not get both mounted given the storylines and having taken both on the same day and highly doubt I'll ever pull that one off again. I did some internet searches and came across a few mounts that I like and finally found one I thought I could do myself, so off to find a cedar tree it was!
              Attached Files

Comment

I wish I could have a day like that. Cant wait to see the mount

Comment

Wow. Awesome story. Congrats

Comment

I looked around for a while with a tree with some character that had multiple trunks or bigger vertical limbs growing to support the mounts. I had a handful of contenders and finally settled on this one as it had all I was looking for, plus it was close to a trail and wouldn't have to be packed out far!

After the tree fell, it actually split in two at the base. At first I was a bit bummed but after looking, it was actually worked to my advantage and would keep me from having to do a lot of extra cutting/splitting.
                    Attached Files

Comment

After a bit of clean up on the smaller limbs, I got it all loaded and headed to the house to prep for the fun part.....getting all the bark off!

I read a couple different ways of getting bark off, one via an angle grinder and the other with a pressure washer, so I decided to give the pressure washer idea a go. Definitely was not as fast of a process as I'd hoped, but after a few 30 minute evening sessions of having water and bark blown into my face, I finally got it all off.
                      Attached Files

Comment

After finally getting all the bark off, the more tedious work of getting all the crooks and crevasses cleaned with a drimmel sander on smaller stuff and hammer & chisel on the bigger stuff, along with lots of sanding on the main trunk. Thankfully my trusty sidekick was with me most of the time to lend a helping hand.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Out of everything, up to this point, I believe this one tested me the most. Not having much of any background in building anything, I struggled getting the right base dimensions, along with getting it all balanced out. I fought with that stupid log all evening trying to strike a balance of getting it all straight as well as balanced out as well without having to build a giant bottom platform. In the end, I finally won without having to break out the chainsaw and turning it all into firewood!
                          Attached Files

Comment

I'm in for the follow along, and you got some good help there!

Rwc

Comment

i am EXCITED for the end result! heck of a story and two awesome bucks to go with it! congrats to you!

Comment

Working...
                              X