Waste Oil Heater For Shop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Waste Oil Heater For Shop

Does anybody have a homemade waste oil heater they use for their garage or shop? I’m thinking of building one for my shop, maybe from an electric water heater. Seems like a pretty simple concept but I have a couple questions.
    How safe are they?
    Does it leak smoke inside your shop?
    Is your waste oil reservoir inside or outside?
    Do you have a cast iron (Dutch oven) or SS burning bowl?
    What device do you use for your forced air?
    Pics and ideas would be great!
    Thanks.

Tagged

I get to...

Comment

We use smudge pots at the deer camp for heat, burning pretty much whatever uses oil we can get out hands on. They’ll smoke for about the first 30 seconds or so, then they burn pretty much smokeless. We have ventilation where we have them, so fumes have never been an issue. There are some releally good YouTube videos on how to build waste oil heaters.

Comment

I watched a few YT videos on it and that’s what got me interested. I e learned over the years that you can really on YT people only so much. Some of them look very dangerous!

Comment

if anyone around Dallas needs some oil let me know i have plenty to give away

Comment

Originally posted by perow View Post
            if anyone around Dallas needs some oil let me know i have plenty to give away
            Same here!

Comment

They sell surplus military tent heaters that will burn liquid fuel and I'm sure there's plenty of other units available.

The Texas Commission on Environmental Quality has rules for them:

This section permits by rule combustion units designed and used exclusively for comfort heating purposes employing liquid petroleum gas, natural gas, solid wood, or distillate fuel oil. Distillate fuel oil includes diesel fuel, kerosene, and heating oil Grades 4 and lighter. Distillate fuel oil does not include heavier residual oils such as Grades 5 and 6 fuel oil. Combustion of bark chips, sawdust, wood chips, treated wood, or wood contaminated with chemicals is not included. Used oil that has not been mixed with hazardous waste may be used as fuel in space heaters provided that:

(1) the space heater or combination of space heaters at the same account have a maximum capacity of 1.0 Million Btu per hour (MMBtu/hr) provided each individual heater is not greater than 0.5 MMBtu/hr;

(2) the combustion gases from the heater(s) are vented to the ambient air in accordance with the following requirements:

(A) through an unobstructed vertical vent; or

(B) for a stack with a cap;

(i) for a flat roof, through a minimum of a three-foot stack; or

(ii) for a sloped roof, through a stack that is three feet higher than a point extending ten feet horizontally from the roof; and

(3) the heater(s) burns only used oil that the owner or operator generates on-site or used oil received from household do-it-yourself used oil generators.

Comment

Originally posted by bigchiefj View Post
                They sell surplus military tent heaters that will burn liquid fuel and I'm sure there's plenty of other units available.

The Texas Commission on Environmental Quality has rules for them:

This section permits by rule combustion units designed and used exclusively for comfort heating purposes employing liquid petroleum gas, natural gas, solid wood, or distillate fuel oil. Distillate fuel oil includes diesel fuel, kerosene, and heating oil Grades 4 and lighter. Distillate fuel oil does not include heavier residual oils such as Grades 5 and 6 fuel oil. Combustion of bark chips, sawdust, wood chips, treated wood, or wood contaminated with chemicals is not included. Used oil that has not been mixed with hazardous waste may be used as fuel in space heaters provided that:

(1) the space heater or combination of space heaters at the same account have a maximum capacity of 1.0 Million Btu per hour (MMBtu/hr) provided each individual heater is not greater than 0.5 MMBtu/hr;

(2) the combustion gases from the heater(s) are vented to the ambient air in accordance with the following requirements:

(A) through an unobstructed vertical vent; or

(B) for a stack with a cap;

(i) for a flat roof, through a minimum of a three-foot stack; or

(ii) for a sloped roof, through a stack that is three feet higher than a point extending ten feet horizontally from the roof; and

(3) the heater(s) burns only used oil that the owner or operator generates on-site or used oil received from household do-it-yourself used oil generators.
                I don’t think a tent heater would be big enough. Shop is 30x40’ but looking to hear about a 20’ radius. Thanks.

Comment

I believe the military stoves are about 35,000 BTU. I'm not sure how much of a space that would heat.

Comment

Originally posted by bigchiefj View Post
                    I believe the military stoves are about 35,000 BTU. I'm not sure how much of a space that would heat.
                    My tall propane heater is, supposedly, rated @ 40K BTU & it isn't near enough.

Comment

i believe you can sell waste oil for more.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckhorn View Post
                        i believe you can sell waste oil for more.
                        For more than ???

Comment

The shop I worked at for years had one !
                          Big coffin looking thing with lots of baffles in it.
                          Could throw any oil or diesel or just about anything in it .
                          Had a huge reservoir sitting under it.
                          My shop owner said he built it himself.

Comment

Working...
                          X