Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does your recreational property produce an income for you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mine does now! I sold it last month and invested all the money into the markets. The wife and I plan to travel more each year now that we have cut that anchor loose. Lots of memories and fun but it was time to move on.

Comment

I think it might be possible for a house down at the coast. But ranch land no not unless it’s paid for and you have a bunch of it. Not in Central Texas anyways

Comment

I have to agree with the others that it's acostly endeavor. Only own 56 acres and it still keeps me on my toes!

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by HogHunter34 View Post
          Ours is recreational only now. We are Ag/timber exempt moving it to wildlife. However, my grandfather used to make $ with it in the olden days based on the following:
          1. Raised cattle
          2. Leased for hunting to cover taxes
          3. Lease for hay bailing for the pasture part
          4. Raised cream peas & watermelons (lots of work as I was involved)
          5. Trapped fur bearing animals. Coons used to bring $12-$25/pelt & bobcats upwards of $175. This was early 80s (PETA killed this money industry)
          You might want to reconsider. I went from Timber to Wildlife. Timber requires an update every five years. Wildlife requires submitting an update every year.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

I don’t own a lot, just 55 acres. Paid 100k for it about 9 years ago. Today, it’s worth about 200k. Land keeps going up, I see it as a safe investment that I will get a nice return. Maybe it sells for 300-400k in 15-20 years? Doesn’t really matter, I enjoy the place and it only costs me about $400 a year to own.

Only guarantee you got, is that if ya keep it long enough, you’ll get more than you paid.

Comment

Thanks gents...great replies.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

I've bought a couple of properties that have paid for themselves. Selling water for fracking wells brings in 60-80k per well. If you are in a hot area it doesn't take long to pay off the place.

I bought another place that had been mined for gravel many years ago. The equipment they had back then didn't go very deep. There was enough gravel left to pay for the place and wind up with a nice fishing lake.

Think outside the box when buying property. Then hustle like hell to find the right people who want or need to buy what you have.

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
                  I've bought a couple of properties that have paid for themselves. Selling water for fracking wells brings in 60-80k per well. If you are in a hot area it doesn't take long to pay off the place.

I bought another place that had been mined for gravel many years ago. The equipment they had back then didn't go very deep. There was enough gravel left to pay for the place and wind up with a nice fishing lake.

Think outside the box when buying property. Then hustle like hell to find the right people who want or need to buy what you have.
                  Sound advice sir. Thank you.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Profit...like yearly profit? Or profit when you sell it and upgrade after 5,7 or 10 years? Those are completely different calculations. Land doesn’t depreciate .

Comment

We sell hog hunts from February till September on our place. We do thermal hunts and have a pretty nice cabin so guys pay pretty good money to hunt. I’m at the ranch right now waiting on a group from New Mexico to arrive. The money is usually allocated to feed and upkeep on our place.

Comment

I bought 640 acres in 2017. I should have it paid off by next year. With a note on it, there is no way in hades to cover the nut through hunting leases, selling hunts or leasing for cattle. My annual cattle lease I have on it pays one month's note payment. If I leased it for hunting, that lease income could cover two month's note payments. IMO it makes no sense to buy a place and then turn around and lease the hunting rights because you have a whole new kind of headache and the income isn't much in the whole grand scheme of land ownership. If someone inherits a place free and clear, that situation may be worth the hassle.

After the note is paid off, the cattle lease will cover the property taxes and fill the deer feeders. That's the goal.

With all that doom and gloom being said, there's nothing like driving through the gate on your own place. It's a huge financial commitment but worth it for the memories made there.

Comment

Depends on what your end goal is. I had a smart friend tell me you cant ski on a stock certificate or swim in a bond. The meaning is invest in something you can use now for recreationally purposes and then sell down the road for profit. I bought a bay home in Galveston that I paid $300K 12 years ago. That same bay home is worth $600K.

Yes there are insurance and taxes to be paid so it is not 100% profit however I see it as my fee to enjoy going to the beach with my family, fishing in the canal every night, hitting a button and getting in to the boat to ski. Most of all it is a place where my family can just come down to relax.

My end goal was to buy a investment property that I could enjoy until I sold it for a profit.

Comment

You can buy some land and lease it to me to hunt . I'm last to the blind, first one out, if its brown it down, and I keep my feeders going 12 weeks out of the year.

Haha just a bump for ya bud, looks like you got some solid advice above.

Comment

Ours always comes when we sell the place to move up into something bigger and better.

Comment

If you buy and keep it, not likely. Look at each property as a two year or so investment, then sell and do it again. My best properties have been overgrown jungle with some kind of water feature. River property is best IMO.

Comment

Working...
                                X