No announcement yet.

We got a sawmill!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your are infected now. Sawdust in your blood never comes out. Check out the Forestry Forum for good info.

Comment

I might have a big Ash log for you soon.

Now all you need is a log lifter on your flatbed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	log trailer.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	24641324
      Last edited by Hoggslayer; 01-20-2021, 07:39 AM.

Comment

Let me be the first to ask: can I borrow it? Lol! Very nice and congrats!

Comment

pm sent

Comment

Originally posted by timberking View Post
            Your are infected now. Sawdust in your blood never comes out. Check out the Forestry Forum for good info.
            I got that bug a few years ago!!!

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Hoggslayer View Post
              I might have a big Ash log for you soon.

Now all you need is a log lifter on your flatbed.

[ATTACH]1037279[/ATTACH]
              In the works already!

Comment

Congrats, you have the easy part done. The next step you face is the handling of large logs. You’ll need a log lift, skid steer, forklift or tractor for that. Safety is important and logs can be very heavy and unpredictable. I work by myself and it’s a lot of work wrestling with 1500 lb not round tree trunk.

Originally posted by Txtourist View Post
                What made you go with Woodland Mills? I’ve been looking between them, Timberking and Woodmizer. Planning to start with a trailer mounted version and I can’t decide how important the log turners are.
                I have piles of white oak and other hardwood logs from blowdown on our property. I feel like I have enough logs stacked to put some hours on a mill to the point I’d put a dent in the coat is the machine.
                Any other advice is appreciated. I’m concerned about accumulating a lot of wood and the space it will take up. Do you sell any wood? Dried or green?
                Thanks
                After having a mill for awhile now I suggest you get the most saw you can afford. Manual sawing is hard work, any thing that aids in making the job easier will pay for itself. More horse power, log turner, automatic feeds, hydraulic ramps are some things to look at.

A band saw mill is going to take some room. Important to have it sit on a solid level surface. My shop is 3400 soft and I have outgrown it. Thinking about adding 900 more sq ft and set the saw up on that and have a little space to air dry if needed.

Comment

Originally posted by sendit View Post
                  Congrats, you have the easy part done. The next step you face is the handling of large logs. You’ll need a log lift, skid steer, forklift or tractor for that. Safety is important and logs can be very heavy and unpredictable. I work by myself and it’s a lot of work wrestling with 1500 lb not round tree trunk.

After having a mill for awhile now I suggest you get the most saw you can afford. Manual sawing is hard work, any thing that aids in making the job easier will pay for itself. More horse power, log turner, automatic feeds, hydraulic ramps are some things to look at.

A band saw mill is going to take some room. Important to have it sit on a solid level surface. My shop is 3400 soft and I have outgrown it. Thinking about adding 900 more sq ft and set the saw up on that and have a little space to air dry if needed.
                  Yeah, it would be really nice to have this under a lean-to!

We ordered the trailer with the winch to load logs. Hydraulics would be awesome but it was not in the budget.

We loaded a 30 in pecan log about 8ft long the other night, which was the max to load without machinery!

Comment

Pecan

Comment

Originally posted by sendit View Post

Thanks for the insights!
                      The crazy part is we have a cabinet shop with a large CNC, 24” spiral top of the line SCM planer, 53”3 head sander, a skid steer along with some space and a place to stack cut wood. I think it would be kind of a cool gimmick to have for our business, not a huge moneymaker, more or less a marketing tool/attention getter and sell some live edge slabs now and then. We surface slabs quite a bit as well as machine in mounting hardware and LED lights. It seems like an easy decision, but I’m dragging my feet buying one wanting to think it all the way through.

Comment

Nice! I could have fun with a set up like that.

Comment

Looks awesome! I would love to have one!

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                            Those are really neat!

I was amazed at how much time I could waste watching guys cut slabs on youtube the 1st time I stumbled onto a video.
                            You and me both!

Comment

That is like WAY too cool!!!

Comment

Trailer shows up Monday, so we will be mobile!

Comment

Working...
                                X