First burn on my place in NE Texas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
    There are pros that do it more reasonable than you might expect. They handle everything including liability insurance. Might be worth looking into. A couple years ago I got a quote of about $40 an acre.

Originally posted by backwoods View Post
    There are quite a few resources available for landowners in east Texas to burn.
    I’ve hired contractors to burn my place 5 times now.
    There are many insured, forestry consultants and contractors that know how to burn and several state and federal grants to help pay for it.

Hopefully we see the same adoption in central / west Texas where wildfire threats and fuel loads are greater
    I was wondering if the EQIP program would cover the burn. Definitly a good tool to keep brush under control. My place in SMith county has big pine so no undergrowth issues. But my place in Bowie County is a stinking mess.

Comment

I did 8 acres when I purchased my property. Divided in into 4 sections. Have several people to help. Had plenty of water. worked great.

Comment

Originally posted by rut-ro View Post
        40 an acre does not seem to bad. Is there a minimum?
        Probably,but I don’t know. I was getting ready to burn 40/50 acres when I sold that place so it never happened.

Comment

All you have to do is contact your local biologist. They will prepare a burn plan and bring equipment and crew to burn it. Free.

Comment

Originally posted by Deerguy View Post
            All you have to do is contact your local biologist. They will prepare a burn plan and bring equipment and crew to burn it. Free.
            Is this state-wide? Ive never heard of this program. Can you provide more info please?

Comment

Originally posted by Deerguy View Post
              Not exactly. It is basically a learning program so you can do it yourself in the future. And you will have to prepare the unit.

Comment

Originally posted by Landrover View Post

I was wondering if the EQIP program would cover the burn. Definitly a good tool to keep brush under control. My place in SMith county has big pine so no undergrowth issues. But my place in Bowie County is a stinking mess.
                There is a component for prescribed burning in EQIP.

Whether or not it will get funded in your county is a whole different issue.

Comment

I’m hoping to perform a prescribed fire a little over a year from now on our family place. We cut a few hundred cedar trees down in an 8 acre portion of the farm I plan to treat as a fire unit. Left them laying where they fell, and will burn them where they laid as well.

Comment

Commercially, there is an expert. A very seasoned expert, at:
                    Red Buffalo, LLC offers prescribed burning workshops that include topics such as fire weather, fuel moisture, topography, fire effects, burn plans, etc.

I don't know his geographic limits, but you can holler at him and see.

Also, here's another excellent resource for assistance. They won't do it for you, but they will provide a burn plan, a few staff, equipment, and negotiate through a burn ban. However, be aware that it is your fire.

Comment

I read somewhere that every acre of Texas used to burn at least every three years. When something started a fire, like lightning it would burn until rain would put it out.

Comment

Originally posted by Mohawkman View Post
                        I read somewhere that every acre of Texas used to burn at least every three years. When something started a fire, like lightning it would burn until rain would put it out.
                        Yes sir! Man created most of the habitat you see today in Texas by stopping wild fires.

Comment

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
                          Yes sir! Man created most of the habitat you see today in Texas by stopping wild fires.
                          ^^^^ TRUE THAT.

I watch this deer biologist named Dr. Grant Woods and he uses fire extensively. He has turned his 1500 acres into a whitetail, turkey and animal oasis. He absolutely recommends fire. He also recommends the buffalo system which has worked very well for him and the animals. Most, but not all land managers or ranchers in Central and West Texas are scared to death of fire. If they would learn to use it, the tick population as well as the mesquite and Juniper (mountain cedar) would be very very small as well.

Dr. Woods has his own TV channel on the web as www.growingdeer.tv

Check it out. He covers a lot of stuff.

Comment

We just bought a place that was logged last year so we have just applied for all the eqip program and that will involve cutting firebreaks this summer so we can burn before replanting this fall/winter. I havent actually gotten real quotes, but the agents stated for the firebreaks i should expect to pay about 15cents/foot and the burning will be 30-40/ac for a company to do it

Comment

Originally posted by HuntForHorns View Post
                              On a side note. Anyone ever had a fire get out of control and burn your neighbors property or had a neighbor let one get out of control and burn your place? What happens next? Are you liable for all damages if your fire gets out and burns a neighbors barn down?
                              Neighbors burned about 90% of my parents property in Junction. It has been 3 years of hell dealing with lawyers, arborist, property appraisals etc. After 3 years settled for very little.

Comment

fire and oaks

maybe a dumb question but how does the fire not also burn/kill the oaks - im in junction area - toooooo thick with cedar - but- i dont understand if you burn out the cedar wouldnt you lose alot of oaks too and also if it doesnt kill the oaks how long does it take for them to come back?
                                how long does it usually take the grasses to grow back - again - hillcountry -i assume it depends on rain etc

Comment

Working...
                                X