No announcement yet.

Central Texas brush ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i've sprayed them in deep bottoms with lots of ground cover like leaves on the ground. never closer than a few feet from a desirable trunk. I clear yaupon right around trees by painting basal stems. even with a conejet 5500 X1 you get lots of overspray. Cant be good for a tree.

Comment

BTW, you can kill yaupon with just diesel in the spring.

Comment

Originally posted by Kossetx View Post
        BTW, you can kill yaupon with just diesel in the spring.
        Really? That would be fantastic. Couple of follow up question? By spraying foliage or basal and does the size of the trunk dictate? I've shredded some areas and it keeps growing like ground cover, in other areas the trunks are +4" in diameter and 20' tall.

Comment

with yaupon size of the trunk doesn't really matter because yaupon remains smooth barked no matter the size. With mesquite it does matter. I generally cut anything over 2". with mesquite the bigger the trunk the higher mix. I stick with 25% on anything I have to cut. saving 10.00 in poison and having to do it again ain't worth the savings. Although you can kill yaupon with just diesel I do a 10% mix and spray when I can.

If you spray yaupon foliage your pissin in the wind. That mowed yaupon ground cover makes good erosion control. Here where I live the yaupon are so thick I don't bow hunt. If a deer goes more than 10 yards I'll never find it. I guess your place is like that too.

Comment

It is very thick with yaupon in some areas. I can only hunt what I clear but that stuff is relentless. Thanks for the guidance.

Comment

Just thought you all might like to see mu brush rig. I took the old school carpenters tote and modified it for a chainsaw.

It has room for the saw and a Fiskars geared loper.

It has compartments for a bar chain bottle, tools, and gas. The beer bottles contain new gaskets and one holds gas and the other bar lube. I put one in each pocket for extended walks on trails. OK, maybe I carry a few more...

The bottle is remedy reclaim mix. I like clear bottles because you can see when the mix separates. I put only a 1/4" in the can at a time because I usually knock it over. The brush is a chip brush I modified the handle with aluminum channel because the wood one absorbed the diesel mix and I didn't like getting it on my hands or gloves.

My plastic chainsaw case couldn't do this. I also can't say enough nice things about my Stihl 170. A real workhorse.

Comment

Nice ! I like how organized it is.

Comment

Working...
                X