German shepherd puppy?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

German shepherd puppy?????

My wife wants a German Shepherd puppy to train as a therapy dog. We are in central Texas area - any suggestions on a good breeder to go to?

What kind of Therapy?

Comment

Von Der Otto

Comment

I hear Rescue Dogs Make Great Therapy Dogs....

Comment

Originally posted by perryr View Post
          Von Der Otto

This

Comment

She wanted to take into nursing homes and hospitals

Comment

Has she had therapy dogs before? Has she trained dogs before? And why a German Shepherd?

Comment

Originally posted by BigRed323 View Post
                Has she had therapy dogs before? Has she trained dogs before? And why a German Shepherd?

she has not - she plans to get certified and train him

she like shepherds and met a a guy who had done a lot of therapy work with dogs and they were one of the breeds suggested

Comment

Dang - Von Der Otto's website shows $5,000 range for a puppy?

Comment

I would suggest a much more Docile breed rather than a high-drive working dog

Comment

For a therapy dog, I would just buy from a reputable breeder. Most working dogs I have been around don't have an off switch. Which would be horrible for a therapy dog. I know they can be trained, but more of a docile shepherd.

Comment

If not buying working lines from Europe I would suggest another breed. The American Shepherd has bad health issues and temperament problems.

Comment

Originally posted by Huntingfool View Post
                          she has not - she plans to get certified and train him

she like shepherds and met a a guy who had done a lot of therapy work with dogs and they were one of the breeds suggested
                          If this is her first time trying to get into that kind of world, have her try a dog that doesn’t have this sort of energy drive. I work as a vet, and my worst/most dangerous patients are German shepherds with owners who don’t know how to handle them. They are a strong and high driven dog and they aren’t a good dog just to “ test the waters” with. You have to be a very confident dog handler to have control of a Shepherd enough to be able to have it walk into hospitals and around patients.

Have her get a more docile breed (maybe a golden), learn the ins and outs of therapy world, learn to train a dog first, and then if she wants to continue doing it in the future, then maybe get a shepherd. I have nothing against the breed as a whole, just against owners who want one, but can’t handle them.

Comment

I'd suggest start training at a a very young age. If you get a six month old the personality will be pretty settled already. Not that they can't be trained but they might not make ideal therapy dog.

Comment

Sometimes, this place cracks me up. The OP asked for breeder recommendations and all but two posts have rained down judgement or diversion.

OP, I can't help you. I have a brother who just got another GSD (he has had many) but, he goes out of state for his.

Comment

Working...
                              X