Spring Soy Beans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spring Soy Beans

Just put in my first spring plot. Mostly Soy Beans.

Assuming you have enough acreage, and you've got beans growing into the fall, how long do you let your spring plots go before turning them for winter crops?

Thanks

Originally posted by Preacher Man View Post
    Just put in my first spring plot. Mostly Soy Beans.

Assuming you have enough acreage, and you've got beans growing into the fall, how long do you let your spring plots go before turning them for winter crops?

Thanks
    we plant soybeans when soil temp is 65 degrees by 9am in the mornings
    we broadcast chicory/clover around oct 1st. some will come up in fall but next spring the chicory and clover when come on hard

Comment

If you have actual bean pods, and lots of them, no need to plant a fall crop. The beans will be a great draw. My deer didn't know what a soybean was until I planted them. One year I had a bumper crop of pods and the deer were in them all winter. I even had some volunteer up the next spring. If hogs are not too prevalent, you can broadcast wheat/rye grain into them when the leaves start yellowing and have greens and beans. If you have lots of hogs you might not get away with that.

Edit after seeing BIG BONE'S post. That will work also, and I didn't think of it. I planted medium red clover with my wheat last year in one plot as an experiment. The clover is coming on pretty good now and I'm just gonna let the heat terminate the wheat and see how long the clover will last this summer.
      Last edited by Drycreek3189; 04-08-2019, 10:38 AM.

Comment

I would just leave them assuming they are chewed down and then overseed with an oats/rye(grain) mix.....

Comment

Working...
        X