Broadcasting seed ?'s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Broadcasting seed ?'s

The spot I hunt has a bottom that's about 80yds across and 250-300yds long and its grown up pretty good. My cousin, who owns the place, mows it every year around this time. We saw several deer on it and my son shot his first deer last year just sitting along the creek watching the bottom. I have noticed after he mows, a lot of new green growth coming up and seem to be what the deer are eating.

I was thinking after he mows it this year( he said he was going to in the next couple of weeks ), I might broadcast some oats and see what happens? 1.Have y'all had luck just broadcasting oats?
    2.Anything else be better or should I mix with the oats?
    3.Broadcast before or after he mows?
    4.Any other thoughts? Don't have access to a disc.

Wasn't planning on the whole bottom, maybe half of it?

Thanks!

I’ve always heard you should broadcast them now it down. The action of it being mowed helps move the seed to the soil and the grass clippings cover it up to retain moisture. Buuut I haven’t done it myself. Going to be giving it a go this year myself with the turner seed fall deer mix. I am going to be spraying herbicide and laying down like this weekend. Then wait for a good chance of rain and broadcast the seed right before. Can’t afford or find a shredder so I’ll be using a cattle panel to try and drag the dead grass. We’ll see how well that works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ElCid07 View Post
      I’ve always heard you should broadcast them now it down. The action of it being mowed helps move the seed to the soil and the grass clippings cover it up to retain moisture. Buuut I haven’t done it myself. Going to be giving it a go this year myself with the turner seed fall deer mix. I am going to be spraying herbicide and laying down like this weekend. Then wait for a good chance of rain and broadcast the seed right before. Can’t afford or find a shredder so I’ll be using a cattle panel to try and drag the dead grass. We’ll see how well that works.

Thx

Comment

Yes agree. Broadcast and then shred if thats your only option. It will help germination rate with cover on top

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
          Yes agree. Broadcast and then shred if thats your only option. It will help germination rate with cover on top

Ok thx.
          Any suggestions as to what to plant?

Comment

I have actually started planting many of my food plots this way. Spread wheat and oats along with fertilizer then bush hog.

Comment

Originally posted by wudduk View Post
              I have actually started planting many of my food plots this way. Spread wheat and oats along with fertilizer then bush hog.

Thx. Any idea on how much seed id need for an area say 70yds wide by 100yds long?

Comment

Originally posted by sambo73 View Post
                Thx. Any idea on how much seed id need for an area say 70yds wide by 100yds long?

Calculate it online with an acreage calculator. THen look at broadcasting rates per seed.

I would do wheats and oat

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
                  Calculate it online with an acreage calculator. THen look at broadcasting rates per seed.

I would do wheats and oat
                  thanks. what fertilize did you use?

Comment

Originally posted by sambo73 View Post
                    thanks. what fertilize did you use?
                    I forget. I used a simple triple 13 because I have not done a soil sample.

I need to do soil sample as our new 2-3 acre plot is permanent

Comment

Thx!

Comment

Double you broadcast rate.
                        Sounds like you have around 1.5 acres.
                        I'd put down 150lbs of BobOats and see what happens.
                        Maybe throw down a small bag of Durana clover for next year.

Comment

Roughly 5 acres. I put about 200 lbs per acre broadcast.
                          But that is overkill. Maybe 100 lbs of wheat and oats.
                          Fertilizer is important, but can be put out later when grass stops growing.

But too early to plant those seeds right now

Comment

Originally posted by Big pig View Post
                            Roughly 5 acres. I put about 200 lbs per acre broadcast.
                            But that is overkill. Maybe 100 lbs of wheat and oats.
                            Fertilizer is important, but can be put out later when grass stops growing.

But too early to plant those seeds right now

Ok thx. Hes mowing within the next 2wks so may have to spread after he mows

Comment

Working...
                            X