No announcement yet.

Mech/Civ Engineering Showdown: Tech vs UT vs aTm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've worked with and hired civil engineers from all those schools and a bunch of others. Frankly, when vetting resumes, I look for an accredited school with a gpa over about 3.3. After that, its all based on the interview. Its a good time to go into civil engineering.

Comment

For a great education, either will suffice. But I work with civil engineers every day and 90% of them are Aggies. It's what they're known for....there is a reason for that.

Comment

The first statement is all you need to know. Aggies hire Aggies plane and simple. I'm not a Aggie but I work with some that I can't understand how they ever got hired so that's the only explanation.

Comment

Originally posted by texas shag View Post
          A&M and UT, when looking at the school rankings, are almost even in their programs. Additionally, job placement is pretty dang high, and the networks of both schools will take you a long way. It really comes down to what type of college experience you are looking for. A more rural experience in a "college" town would be A&M. A more urban experience with a college in the heart of a bustling downtown would be UT.

Tech's programs aren't at quite the same level, but they are still really good programs that produce high quality engineers. The civil engineering network from Tech is pretty strong, especially in the Water utility industry. While the mechanical program produces good engineers, it is relatively small relative to UT and A&M, and thus the network is smaller.

All that said, if you got into all 3 programs, you are a smart individual and your future is likely what you make of it. Work hard, work smart, and have some fun while you are in school. Be proud of your education and pave your own path, and each school will have provided a platform for future success.

And just for transparency, I am a ME grad from A&M.
          Perfect summary. Your degree, school and "network" may get you your first job. What happens after that is up to you. I guess I just haven't seen this magical network in action. When my oldest graduated a year ago last December with a PETE degree, the Aggie network didn't do squat for him. His job opportunities eventually came from former Longhorn PETEs.

When I hire, I do look at the school to make sure it's at least decent, then I hire the individual based on the interview and their accomplishments. I want the best person for the job because it helps me succeed.

Comment

If you are getting a degree solely on the fact "Aggies hire Aggies" you have bigger problems. UT and ATM both provide excellent degrees and would make my choice on the field I planned to work in. One concern about the I have with ATM is the degree being "watered-down" in the future with the higher ups opening the floodgates on admissions. There are only so many jobs to fill andeven if Aggies hire Aggies.

Comment

BSME from TAMU here. Best friend started at t.u. but transferred after freshman year to TAMU. His brothers went to t.u. Both are doing great. Both have their own networks. We had a TA with an undergrad from TTU. He said our curriculum in undergrad was grad level at TTU.

I see a lot of TAMU and TTU grads out in the oilfield and TTU alumni are pumping in a lot of money to the school. They are just far behind the land grant giants but gaining ground.

Fast forward to this year. Took my oldest son to visit both TAMU and TTU interested in BSME. No question in my mind after going and I was really open minded about it. Fit and finish on programs, curriculum, metrics was a no brainer for TAMU with their college of engineering. Either would be good choices. TAMU had very structured and managed rates for size and growth of each discipline in the college and TTU seem to be exploding and adding as many as they could. I think it comes down to visit and decide for yourself which is a better fit and comfort.

Comment

Thanks folks
                I have a younger cousin looking to go into engineering and wanted real boots on the ground advice.
                Obviously after about gives years post graduation his work portfolio will mean more than what school he went to
                But starting out, Aggies hire Aggies, huh???

Comment

Get a job out of college...any college with an engineering degree is not hard. Working your way up the ladder depends on how smart and hard you work.

Comment

Originally posted by Take Dead Aim View Post
                    any college with an engineering degree is not hard.
                    Tell us how you did it?

Comment

Originally posted by texansfan View Post
                      Thanks folks
                      I have a younger cousin looking to go into engineering and wanted real boots on the ground advice.
                      Obviously after about gives years post graduation his work portfolio will mean more than what school he went to
                      But starting out, Aggies hire Aggies, huh???
                      Each of these schools are going to have career centers and recruiters for internships and graduates. Supply and demand in industry plays a good part of it as well as to their placement figures. Good work history engineering related summer jobs or internships will help candidates secure jobs and sought out by recruiters over just a degree. Again, I can't stress the visits enough to the schools being considered. Kind of like test driving a car. Also each of them have programs for high schoolers to help them decide if engineering is right for them and which disciplines interest them the most.

Comment

Originally posted by CJ776 View Post
                        Tell us how you did it?
                        I think he is saying getting a job isn't hard to get a job with an engineering degree. Not that getting the degree wasn't difficult.

Comment

Originally posted by BuckSmasher View Post
                          I think he is saying getting a job isn't hard to get a job with an engineering degree. Not that getting the degree wasn't difficult.
                          Yes. Sorry if post was confusing.

Comment

You can’t hardly go wrong with an engineering degree from any accredited university. My FIL got his ME from Lamar and has done very well for himself. Another family friend went to UH and is doing awesome as well.
                            Edit:
                            That being said I wish I would’ve gotten an ME degree from A&M for the networking aspect. I’m working on a masters from TAMUCC hoping to get a little extended networking from it.
                            Last edited by be12hunt; 04-30-2019, 06:08 PM.

Comment

Can't go wrong with aggs... That would be my first pick

That said Angelo State just started a Civil program, I would at least look at it. I've thought about going back for it

Comment

Tech Civil here. BS & MS. They've served me very well. My partner is one as well.

Each school has their own specific talents. Tech's wind and water resources are hard to beat.

I'd advise any student to strongly pursuit internships during your summers. Will help shape what direction you pursuit with your career getting real world experience and a foot in the door.

That being said I need another good one right now, and I'd hire the right one from any school (possibly even tu).
                                Hunting Videos & Flickr Pix

Comment

Working...
                                X