Age Deer in fridge or Ice chest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Smart View Post
    I like the cooler option for quarters sitting on trays or wrapped in a garbage bag in a cooler because the fridge cleanup can be a biatch if you have a spillage accident.....especially if you have a wife.. That red myogloblin has to go somewhere and i like it to go out the drain with the melting ice.....not down in the crisper drawers in every crack and crevice.

x1000

Comment

Originally posted by jt400 View Post
      If you can clear out your beer fridge and hang them without anything touching anything this is hands down the best way I've found to do it. Makes the whole deer taste like backstrap. I've dedicated this sxs refrigerator to dry aging. The freezer holds any heads till i can get around to euro mounting them.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
      I’ve wanted to do this for a long time but never figure out what to hang the chain on. Any chance you can add a picture that shows what you have that chain attached to?

Comment

Originally posted by MetalMan2004 View Post
        I’ve wanted to do this for a long time but never figure out what to hang the chain on. Any chance you can add a picture that shows what you have that chain attached to?
        I'm interested too . I have been planning to build a small cooler and use the cool bot.. however if I can buy a fridge and do the deer one at a time it would work fine..

Comment

If it's a dedicated fridge you can probably just through-bolt some eye bolts. I might be tempted to glue in some sort of hooks with some 3M 5200 or something. But a regular wire rack would probably be almost as good as hanging.

Comment

I left the top tray in and just wrapped two chains around it. Then just use two small karabiners to attach other chains off of them wherever I need them. I'll get a picture tonight.

Comment

I use the wire racks that came in my fridge. I’ll take some pics this evening.

Works great! Forgot a quarter in there for 35 days, we ended up cutting slices and eating it raw with a little lemon rind and salt... freakin fantastic!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bowfishin fool View Post
                I use the wire racks that came in my fridge. I’ll take some pics this evening.

Works great! Forgot a quarter in there for 35 days, we ended up cutting slices and eating it raw with a little lemon rind and salt... freakin fantastic!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                Longest I've gone is 30 days. It was incredible but there was so much loss in the rind I don't go that long anymore. With anything other than the hind quarters I go 7 days max to prevent loss. With the hind quarters I've found that 14 days is my magic number. Still a great age with minimal waste. The trimmings that I grind in to burger is also pretty amazing.

Comment

Wet age is in vacuum bags, after trying coolers dry aging in the fridge and wet aging it's my preferred method. You need a big vacuum sealer and large bags. I use 15 x 18 inch bags from Amazon and you can get a whole hind quarter in one. Just vacuum pack and throw them in the bottom of the beer fridge for a week or 2, I've left them for as long as 3 but didn't notice a big difference. Easy and no mess or meat loss yet still get the benefits.

Sent from my LG-LS998 using Tapatalk

Comment

Longest I've gone is 30 days. It was incredible but there was so much loss in the rind I don't go that long anymore. With anything other than the hind quarters I go 7 days max to prevent loss. With the hind quarters I've found that 14 days is my magic number. Still a great age with minimal waste. The trimmings that I grind in to burger is also pretty amazing.
                    This was my 30 day age. You can see what it did to the backstraps. They were the best I've ever had but I bet I had 50% loss. Won't do that again.

Comment

There is an idiot on one of the Facebook pages telling me I'm the idiot because I don't soak my deer in ice water to get the gamey taste out. Lol.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
                        There is an idiot on one of the Facebook pages telling me I'm the idiot because I don't soak my deer in ice water to get the gamey taste out. Lol.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Facebook....that’s your first clue...

Comment

Well After day one aging everything looks good.

I am glad in the cooler I used I put a broiler rack in it to keep it raised up. Maybe went through 10lbs of ice, not to bad of an Igloo cooler.

The deer in the beer fridge is just chilling... I did remove one of the beers to make sure there was enough air circulation

Comment

Probably should continue to do that periodically just to be safe.

Sierracharlie out....

Comment

Here you go

Comment

I left the top tray in and just wrapped two chains around it. Then just use two small karabiners to attach other chains off of them wherever I need them. I'll get a picture tonight.
                                Good to know. My beer fridge is “apartment size.” Bigger than a mini fridge but not full size either. I’ll just have to give it a try and see what works!

Anyone aged hogs the same way?

Comment

Working...
                                X