Epoxy table tops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Epoxy table tops

I have been planning on building a epoxy table or bench top at some point. What I am talking about, is I have seen people take epoxy and pour it into something, then put various things in the epoxy, coins or whatever.

I have been planning on building a larger reloading bench. My plan is to build a epoxy bench top, then fill it with the assorted cases I have collected over the years. Going to try and buy some more types of cases I don't already have. Then dump those cases in the epoxy. Then this will be my new loading bench top. I plan on making it as large as reasonably possible. I am thinking something in the 10' to 12' maybe 14'. Then at least 2' wide, maybe 2 1/2' wide. Then this will need to be at least 3" deep, 4" would probably be better. I plan on putting cases of all sizes in this bench top. I know some will be 3 1/4" probably upwards of 3 1/2".

At one point I found a source of epoxy by the gallon or maybe even five gallon bucket, but I don't remember where I found the epoxy in those size containers. That's one thing I am needing to find for this project. Then the other thing I am needing to find, is something to use as a mold, to pour all of this into. That, I don't have any ideas at this point, other than welding up some sheet metal into a large pan, then pouring the epoxy into that.

If anyone has ideas on where to find epoxy in large volumes and any ideas on the mold, I would like to know your ideas. I have seen guys take large mesquite slabs, hollow them out and pour epoxy in them then add whatever they are going to add. So possibly something along those lines. Basically find something of the size of the bench top, that could be part of the bench top and just pour the epoxy into that piece. Possibly a big piece of walnut or mesquite. I have been wanting to buy some old wooden ammo crates for my gun room, also, just not sure what I would do with them. Maybe screw about 10 of them together and then fill the top 6" of the crates with epoxy, then put lights down below the epoxy. That idea might come out pretty cool.
    Last edited by RifleBowPistol; 07-31-2021, 09:34 AM.

Lots of info on how to do this on Youtube

Comment

You might check out total boat epoxy. They offer 4 gal kits. But you can buy as many gallon kits you need from any one of them. They have 10% off on your first order. ( it’s going to be expensive any ways ) I don’t see a need for a mold, I build my tables then just pour the epoxy in them, just make sure all your joints are glued. The issue I see you maybe having is the air inside the cases either wanting to float, or releasing air bubbles as the epoxy dries . You could mix enough epoxy and fill each case before pouring the whole thing.
      Last edited by critter69; 07-31-2021, 10:27 AM.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	8A5EC3C7-A3E5-4FEC-9F4B-401ADBB2F57E.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	142.4 KB
ID:	24657640 here is a table I did, it’s no where near the amount of epoxy your going to need, and epoxy alone was over 400.00. The elk I painted on a real leaf, there are three stone arrow heads in it also,

Comment

That pretty nice.

The reason I am thinking a mold, is my idea has been to pour the epoxy into something to use as a mold. Basically a big pan. Then pull the piece out, after the epoxy cures. So the whole bench top is clear. Then make a base for the top and bolt it on. I really don't want what's called a live edge top, for a loading bench. I really want nice straight, flat sides.

Comment

I do like what you have done with the elk painting and the arrow heads.

Comment

A buddy of mine has a table top, that is probably 3'x3' and 2" to maybe 3" deep. That table top was made back in the 60s of 70s, I think by someone in Port A. That table top has dried star fish, sand dollars, she'll and other stuff found on Mustang Island. It is epoxy that was poured in a mold, and those pieces, placed in the epoxy. That top, was made by pouring the epoxy in a stamped pan, like a large cake pan. I am pretty sure, judging by the shape of the epoxy.
              Last edited by RifleBowPistol; 07-31-2021, 11:07 AM.

Comment

Make a mold of out melamine. tape the corners and caulk

Eco epoxy is great for deep pours. Not cheap but it can handle the deep pours.

Comment

You can pour the epoxy up to the top edge of your “ table” then sand and buff the epoxy level with the wood that I take it you don’t want the shine or epoxy on. There are a lot of videos on you tube that show various ways of doing them. Odies finish way give you the look your looking for. I think making a mold is going to create more of a hassle then is necessary.
                  Last edited by critter69; 07-31-2021, 11:37 AM.

Comment

Making the entire table with epoxy has a couple issues. First of all price, if cost is not an issue then good for you. Second, most epoxies are designed to be poured 1/4" at a time, yes you can push that a little thicker if you know what you are doing. Any thicker and they will heat up and coagulate and make an unsightly mess. There are "deep pour" epoxies that are designed for just that, thick, do one pour and walk away(kinda). They are much more expensive to purchase.
                    Having a piece of wood and either manipulating it to fit what you want such as shell casings in it or finding a unique piece that is natural and prepping/cutting it to size can be a better look and easier to do. As stated above, if using hollow items they need to be pre-epoxied beforehand or they will float and/or leave air bubbles in your piece.

Comment

Working...
                    X