Chandeleur Islands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
    Disclaimer. I’ve never been hit, but I’m not going looking for the **** things either so I won’t actually know if they work or not.

Last sprint me and marsh hunter were wading East Marty in him clear water. It was still cold enough we were wearing waders. I be’s we say 20 rays that morning.

I got close to one and stuck my rod tip in the water and touch him, and that SOB turned around and came out me. [emoji51]. I was walking on water to get away.

This little rascal almost got me trying to get my daughters treble hook out of it the other day. Scared me bad. I just cut the line after that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes, that's the challenge. Seeing if they actually work on rays. Guess you need to make a trip to the ray tank at the aquarium

Comment

Disclaimer. I’ve never been hit, but I’m not going looking for the **** things either so I won’t actually know if they work or not.

Last spring me and marsh hunter were wading East Marty in gin clear water. It was still cold enough we were wearing waders. I bet we saw 20 rays that morning.

I got close to one and stuck my rod tip in the water and touch him, and that SOB turned around and came out me. [emoji51]. I was walking on water to get away.

This little rascal almost got me trying to get my daughters treble hook out of it the other day. Scared me bad. I just cut the line after that.

Just glue some rattles on it and tie it above your hook. Then you won’t catch sting rays no more.

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
        Just glue some rattles on it and tie it above your hook. Then you won’t catch sting rays no more.

They like live shrimp.

That was behind rattle snake point in Lake Austin.

Comment

Last spring me and marsh hunter were wading East Marty in gin clear water. It was still cold enough we were wearing waders. I bet we saw 20 rays that morning.

I've never seen Ray's that small out at chandeluer. They about the size of umbrellas. But, sometimes they got 3 or 4 20" reds in tow

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
            You already don’t catch nothing so how will you know it doesn’t affect the fish?
            Lol.... dang!

Interesting product.... I'd be game, getting hit ain't no punk!

Comment

Bumping this back up to the top and looking for some insight. We went 2 years ago at the end of August on The Compass Rose and absolutely smoked them and had one of the most incredible topwater redfish bites I've ever experienced late one evening. For some reason this year my buddy who had the deposit down already chose the weekend of July 16-19. Has anyone been during mid July? What should we expect? Late August we threw alot of Down South Lures rigged underneath a Mansfield Mauler type popping cork and drifted the flats and picked up a lot of trout. Threw skitterwalks and spook juniors early and late and caught trout and tons of reds. We had 50 keeper reds after the first evening. We also caught a ton of sharks off the back of the boat at night and believe it or not, two cobia as well.

Comment

Ive only been once, and that was in September. Trout everywhere, we only caught 12-15 reds total. I would think there wouldn’t be much difference between August and July. Same weather.

Comment

Gander, if you fish the tides, you'll be good. The fish will be there if they haven't been blown out by a storm... The one thing that is always an issue on the northern end of this chain is the later in the year it gets, the worse the floating grass can get. This is especially true if it is post storm or after/during sustained high winds. You should come prepared to be able to fish in floating grass... If you happen to hit it when the wind allows you to fish on the outside (gulf side surf), the grass will be much less of a problem there, and the fishing can be off the charts good... Barring a storm, you should be good in mid/late July. Just go have fun and catch fish! Personally I only use a boat at the Islands to get me to the spots I want to fish if at all possible. I almost always wade...

Comment

Originally posted by gander View Post
                    Bumping this back up to the top and looking for some insight. We went 2 years ago at the end of August on The Compass Rose and absolutely smoked them and had one of the most incredible topwater redfish bites I've ever experienced late one evening. For some reason this year my buddy who had the deposit down already chose the weekend of July 16-19. Has anyone been during mid July? What should we expect? Late August we threw alot of Down South Lures rigged underneath a Mansfield Mauler type popping cork and drifted the flats and picked up a lot of trout. Threw skitterwalks and spook juniors early and late and caught trout and tons of reds. We had 50 keeper reds after the first evening. We also caught a ton of sharks off the back of the boat at night and believe it or not, two cobia as well.
                    I thought about sharks off the boat but they aren't really my thing but cobia.....

Comment

I am really looking forward to this trip!

Comment

Originally posted by doug View Post
                        I am really looking forward to this trip!
                        Maybe you should go meet some of the heathens going first doug. That or pack some of those things from California

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                          Maybe you should go meet some of the heathens going first doug. That or pack some of those things from California
                          I may need some of those for the ride out!

Comment

Don’t listen to QB, Doug he is just jealous.

Comment

He ain't the only one jealous!

Comment

I've got a pretty big tackle box, I could probably fit one of you in it .... for a price

Comment

Working...
                                X