Criteria for thinning the herd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Criteria for thinning the herd

Recently there was a thread about too many bows. I fall into that category with not just bows but motorcycles and guns too. While I am some what of a vagabond at this point I am learning that I have too much stuff in general and you can't take it with you and the family doesn't want to sort through it.

So the question is if you had to keep only one bow you have, which one and why? What makes it the one? Post pics too.

I've narrowed it down to two... I'll post pics as soon I shoot them to decide.

This should be fun.[emoji2]

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Nothing wrong with having a couple, if you were at that point I would call it good. My criteria however would just be do I shoot it, or does it just sit around with no real purpose

Comment

Mine just sit except for a few. I have a nice bow rack to display them. I see them as hand made works of art. That's why I have so many.

Comment

I don't think you can have too many bows and I know for fact you can't have too many bikes!

Sent from my LG-M150 using Tapatalk

Comment

I sold most of my rifles, shotguns and handguns. I bought only guns I will shoot, can shoot or need to shoot.
            I won't own bows that are "works of art". I love to shoot my bows but their real purpose is to draw blood so if I can enjoy shooting it and shoot it relatively well it won't stay long.
            I've got about 30 rods and reels I need to sell off soon too.

Comment

I assume you mean can't DRT? I didn't mean works of art as I won't shoot them but that they are good looking bows too. I don't care how good it looks if I can't shoot it well and it doesn't lay in the hand right, it's gone.

Comment

I have a love for Jack Kempf bows. I have a Raven that I have long and recurve limbs for. I mainly shoot the recurve limbs but I got it custom build for me with a cocobolo riser. I shoot the kwyk styk better but if I had to sell them all I would keep the Raven. I don't shoot it that much worse plus the set of two limbs makes it very versatile.
                Attached Files

Comment

Here is the runner up. The kwyk styk. Did I mention that I am a big fan of static recurves too. They just seem to add a little more quickness and authority to the arrow.
                  Attached Files

Comment

No I meant what I said. I don't want one I'm afraid to scratch or that I'll devalue it with normal wear. I need it to be able to take the same use and abuse I do. And keep on killing. Just like I do.

Comment

Good Stuff. I was fortunate enough to find a couple of guys REALLY interested in bows and handed them each one to start with. My collection has been getting smaller and at this point I have two primary that I will keep. MY Longbow from Jeff Freeman that was made to my order and a really nice Hummingbird I picked up for well worth the price. They shoot nothing alike, and look nothing alike, but feel terrific in the hand. DRT both of these are real beauties to look at, but that has absolutely no hold on taking it to the woods and using it. That's what I bought them for. Really, the only one left that I would say could go is the heavier longbow I bought just to have a heavier work out stick, it's 68 @ 28 and a mild R/D long bow.
                      Pics are of my two favorites.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Dry Bones good to see some else likes the manly pink gold tip blemish arrows. I enjoy them myself.

Comment

Those Pink Blems are what I took the 6 point in the other pic as well. Pink does not slow me down one bit. AND nothing in the natural world where I hunt is that color.
                          I have moved to woods since just before Turkey season started and... Well I may be hooked on woodies, and keep a couple Pinks, just in case.

Comment

I love playing with different bow designs so I usually have at least six bows on the shooter rack. I also love vintage bows and have fifty or sixty vintage Bears, some of which will not leave until I do and others that are inventory for trading. The too much stuff idea has been bugging me for several years so I try to haul off a pickup load or two a year and donate it to Christians in action or the church garage sale. At the current rate of attrition there will still be enough left for a nice estate sale someday.

The way that I chose what can go is by asking myself if I use the item or if there is any desire to use the item. If not, it gets sold or donated.

Comment

For me it is pretty simple. Above anything else, when it comes to archery, I love to hunt. Because of that, I really only have 1 bow at the moment. It is my Blackwidow PCH - 50#/28". Before that I shot a Sammick Sage, which I don't use for anything other than bowfishing. I have a longbow that I have taken a few small critters with, but it is a pain (literally) to shoot so I don't. I have it because you just never know when you have to have a long bow to shoot (think 3D).

I don't have any plans to and haven't yet bought another recurve because there just isn't any reason to... I have and will continue to kill critters with my widow.

I would like to find a longbow that suits me one of these days... but I still drag my feet on that because at the end of the day... I like killing stuff and my widow does just fine in that department.

Comment

Working...
                              X