.410 for doves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

.410 for doves

How many of y’all use a .410 for dove hunting? I’ve got a friend that gave me a Yeildz o/u 20 gauge. And I just messing around with him said “man when I get used to this thing I’ll have to get a .410.” And just started laughing and said “doves & .410’s Dont go together”. I’ve only been dove hunting once with him & really enjoyed it. But I think it would be a blast to shoot doves with a .410.

Ain't easy, that's for sure. But if you pic your shots, it can be done. I use a single shot on opening day just for the fun of it.

Comment

All I use for most fields

Comment

When I was younger that's all I used.

God Bless
        Bish

Comment

You better be good...better than good.

Comment

I shoot more doves and quail with my mossberg 500 .410 every season than I do with my Benelli SBEII 12ga. Just takes practice with it, and will make you a much better all around wing shooter.

Love .410’s so much I ordered a yildiz sxs recently and can not wait to put it to good use.

Comment

Ain’t got a limit with a box yet. Still got too many years of 12ga. Hail Marys in me. But usually 30-35 shells will get it done
              Attached Files

Comment

It can be , and i have even done a little of it, but give me a 12 gauge, cause i ain't that good

Comment

If you're a good shot with a 12, you'll have no problem with a 410. I've got two that out shoot most of my hunting party.

Comment

All I use for doves for the last 30 years.

Comment

.410 for doves

My Dad and I have had several contests over water tanks through the years with his two LC Smith 410 SxS....one of which I will inherit one day. It a fun shoot but you do have to pick your shots...well ....at least i do... I was quite surprised at how lethal they were honestly. We have shot limits...he's beaten me to limits and I him....but it's always been a fun shoot. Sadly its been awhile since we have done that. Probably because the older I get the worse I am shooting..

It was probably just me but Abby brought back a lot of head pullers when we did it. They weren't flyers. Just alive. I wish we had more waterhole shoots but our tanks just don't get near the birds they used to compared to our corn fields. Somebody must have put in some water closer to their roosts we are guessing. Hard to sit at a tank and get a few shots when folks are melting barrels in the food fields.

Don't have any pics of me as we were "competing" lol, but I did find a couple of him trying to make it work out in the corn fields. I prefer a 20 ga with 20 ga shell prices out there.... I had a Fausti 410 for a while and I just didn't like the gun. Sold it and never bought a replacement. Need to tell him to bring the 410s this fall for old times sake.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010011 (Medium).JPG
Views:	2
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	24574882

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010013.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	24574883
                      Last edited by Smart; 03-16-2019, 08:01 PM.

Comment

If the shells weren’t so high I would, I’m not set up to load .410, I shoot 28 instead. Don’t miss the heavy weight shell bag of a 12. But I do like .410 and it’s plenty to get it done. And the range is impressive with the right load and choke.

Comment

Originally posted by bk_tradguy88 View Post
                          If the shells weren’t so high I would, I’m not set up to load .410, I shoot 28 instead. Don’t miss the heavy weight shell bag of a 12. But I do like .410 and it’s plenty to get it done. And the range is impressive with the right load and choke.
                          I got lucky. Had a buddy with a loader. He said they were too much trouble. Gave me the loader. Several bags of shot, powder, primers, wads and hulls. They are a piece of cake to load. Not as fast as 12ga but not slow. Powder last forever!!!! And shot.... I think there were like 75 shot of #8 in a 2 1/2”.

pricing it out I think I can load for a little over $3 a box better shells than you can buy.

Comment

Love dove hunting with my Winchester 101 in .410. It wouldn’t be if I didn’t reload my shells.

Comment

I’ll want Some 410 & 28 tubes as I don’t fair as well with the lighter frame shotty for some reason...I am looking at a 2bbl 20/28 zoli for next year & hope I can swing it

Comment

Working...
                              X