Measurement Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Measurement Questions

When measuring tine length, where is the reference point on the main beam? Do we measure from where the tine meets the main beam? Mid point of the main beam? Some other reference point? I know that the measurement is taken along the outer edge of the tine.

Also, when measuring mass, on an eight point there is a mass measurement between the G3 and tip of the main beam. On a ten, is there a corresponding measurement between the G4 and the beam tip or is the last mass measurement between the G3 and G4?

Yes a 4th Circ measurement between the g 3 and beam tip and the tine length is to where the point meets the beam !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

A 10 is the smallest mass between the g3 and g4 for the 4th circ measurement

Comment

tine length

this
        Attached Files

Comment

only 4 mass cir. per side for 8 total

yes you can have less than 8

Comment

though

i think some people measure like this
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by zanemanaggie View Post

[emoji23] yup

Comment

only 4 mass cir. per side for 8 total

yes you can have less than 8

Not so. Even a spike will get 4 circumference measurements. They would all be the same.

Here is a good step by step guide https://www.outdoorlife.com/photos/g...ur-buck#page-3

Comment

this

We did this and were told at Los Cazadores that it was incorrect. We were told to measure down to where the tine transitions to the beam. Most of the time you can feel the difference or see a change in the "grain" of the tine to beam. Most of the time, this was 1/4 to 1/2 of the way down the main beam.

I have no idea what is official, just going off of what we were told.

Comment

Thats what they do at the ranches where you pay by the inch.

Comment

Originally posted by CastAndBlast View Post
                      We did this and were told at Los Cazadores that it was incorrect. We were told to measure down to where the tine transitions to the beam. Most of the time you can feel the difference or see a change in the "grain" of the tine to beam. Most of the time, this was 1/4 to 1/2 of the way down the main beam.

I have no idea what is official, just going off of what we were told.
                      Los Cazadores scores w a loose tape. Usually off by a few inches to the good vs actual B&C score.

Comment

I had an outdoor book when I was a kid and it had a score sheet in it in the back. It’s reference was half way down the main beam, that’s how I’ve always done it

Comment

Measurement Questions

Our intention is to provide you with an easy method to "green" score your animal. If the score you come up with is close to or above the minimum score for that category and you want to enter it in Boone and Crockett's records book, we can provide you with a list of Official Measurers for your area. In order for a trophy to be entered in the Boone and Crockett Club Awards Program, it must be scored by one of our designated Official Measurers.

Comment

Originally posted by BBReezen View Post
                            I had an outdoor book when I was a kid and it had a score sheet in it in the back. It’s reference was half way down the main beam, that’s how I’ve always done it
                            This is the way I learned to do it as well, but recently learned of measuring to where the tine meets the beam. Looks like I may have learned incorrectly.

Comment

Originally posted by BBReezen View Post
                              jThat's a good way to add several inches to a rack, but it's just not the right way to do it according to B&C and P&Y.

Comment

Working...
                              X