Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 03-18-2019, 03:41 PM   #51
texasdeerhunter
Ten Point

I serve on two non profit boards as well as being an active member in my local Lions Club organization. On top of that, there is typically other stuff throughout the year that I will volunteer for
texasdeerhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-18-2019, 05:10 PM   #52
smokeless
Ten Point

Hunt In: Llano

Did 20 years for the local VFD. My wife and I were 4-h leaders when my son was in school. Loved every minute of it.
smokeless is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-18-2019, 06:46 PM   #53
dustoffer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: S/Central Tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsteffen View Post
Check with Texas Ramps, https://www.texasramps.org/ My former church did a lot with them. Good organization. They supply a list of needs and let you pick which to do. They pay for material and needed tools once you get started,
When we do a project for one of our own church members, we/church pays for the materials, but otherwise the Project office does. Local Sheriff's office provides the workshop and storage facilities for the pre-built modules and other materials needed. Some other volunteers and prisoners build the modules.
dustoffer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-18-2019, 07:10 PM   #54
Raleigh
Ten Point

Wife and I were on our local Younglife committee for 9 years. Just stepped down last year. We also are active in our HS PTA Andy work the concession during the football games
Raleigh is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-18-2019, 07:42 PM   #55
Eagles1181
Ten Point

Hunt In: Angelina County

Most of my volunteer work right now is through ARES. We are a group of HAM radio operators that provides communications for major events, not profits and also during disaster recovery.

Philip
W5PLA
Eagles1181 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-18-2019, 07:47 PM   #56
txtradesman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

Austin Convention Center Recycling Program

Habitat for Humanity

Austin Parks and Recreation
txtradesman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-18-2019, 08:41 PM   #57
FeetDown
Four Point

Texas Youth Hunting Program (TYHP): https://www.tyhp.org

These folks host over 200 youth hunts per year across the state. I recently volunteered as a hunting guide for a TYHP spot-and-stalk doe whitetail hunt at the 165K acre Pitchfork Ranch out in the panhandle. It was a great experience and most importantly the kids had a blast and learned a lot.

In addition to volunteering as a hunting guide, you can also volunteer as camp cook, supervise shooting activities, provide outdoor education, and just help make the hunts run smoothly. Give them a look.

I also volunteer a lot of time coordinating public policy efforts for the Texas Chapter of Backcountry Hunters & Anglers (BHA), a non-profit that advocates for hunter/angler access to our public lands and waters.
Attached Images

Last edited by FeetDown; 03-18-2019 at 08:49 PM.
FeetDown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-18-2019, 09:21 PM   #58
Txtourist
Four Point

Hunt In: MN, SD,TX

Was volunteered/nominated/tricked by a friend to sit on the board of a small trade association for cabinet makers. It's been 6 years and my term is up, now I'd like to find something else. I have 3 boys, but we dont do a lot of team sports, mostly outdoors stuff. I'd like to find another opportunity to volunteer atleast a few hours per month on something for them.
Txtourist is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-18-2019, 10:02 PM   #59
low_tec
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lampasas County

My family runs a Mobile Loaves and Fishes truck once a month
low_tec is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-18-2019, 10:23 PM   #60
eaglegolfj
Ten Point

check the cookoff comity on facebook. cookoff every year for the past 12 and donate all to different charity every year.
eaglegolfj is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-19-2019, 06:15 AM   #61
Texas8point
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Buffalo and Juno, Texas

following
Texas8point is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-19-2019, 09:06 AM   #62
Tony Pic
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NYS, Kerrville, Mountain Home and Harper

Back up in NY I am involved with many things and getting going here in The Hill Country. 15 year committee member of the Friends of the NRA.
In NY for the last 7 years I have been handling the archery range at Nat'l Hunting and Fishing Day. We get over 400 people in a 7 hour event to come and shoot bows...all for free. All to promote hunting,trapping and fishing. This is a event that takes place nationwide(3rd wk in Sept) and glad it has wings in such a crappy lefty area where hunting fishing and shooting is looked down upon.
One pic of a past day.
KIMG0340 by Tony Pic, on Flickr

I also run the archery portion of Adaptive Sports Field days at a rehab hospital close to West Point. We get some really challenged folks that are loving archery to help with the hand eye coordination challenges rehab presents. The hospital allows us to shoot on hospital grounds and we set up a small range for the various attendees to shoot arrows at. It is incredibly rewarding to do this. This used a be a once a year event. We now do it twice a year and it is getting bigger each year.
I sure hope the guys who have worked with me keep this going when I am totally out of NY...very soon.
I am looking forward to getting involved in youth activities and the Friends of the NRA dinners when I have more time to give Texas.
5626 by Tony Pic, on Flickr
KIMG0373 by Tony Pic, on Flickr
Tony Pic is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-19-2019, 09:35 AM   #63
pure lefty
Ten Point

Hunt In: Leon County and wherever

4h rifle team coach
Ducks unlimited local chapter
pure lefty is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-19-2019, 09:45 PM   #64
Mjjust
Eight Point

Hunt In: San Angelo/ Any Public lands.

Coached kids in soccer and baseball when they were young. Was president of the local soccer league for almost 10 years. Gave it up almost 2 years ago. Still help them out with maintenance projects. Just worked on some lights tonight. Before soccer was president of neighborhood association board for several years.

Next thing I want to do is start to volunteer with TYHP. Love taking kids hunting and my son ainít a kid no more and nephews are almost all too old now. Want to help get kids into hunting even if itís just cooking for them.
Mjjust is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-19-2019, 10:34 PM   #65
Big pig
Ten Point

Hunt In: Goliad and Leon Co.

Relay for Life - American Cancer Society
OHH- Oilfield Helping Hands
Special Olympics
Habitat for Hunanity
Some school events

We were blessed and want to help others less fortunate.

Big pig
Big pig is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-19-2019, 11:00 PM   #66
Burnadell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bee County

I wish I had $5 for every hour I spent in a volunteer role over the years. I have volunteered for countless civic organizations including United Way in Dallas and Longview, Board Member of Alamo Area Council of the Boy Scouts in San Antonio and Finance Chairman of the Circle 10 Council Boy Scouts in Longview, Associate Board of the Baptist Memorial Hospital System in San Antonio, Board of Trustees of Southwest Public Broadcasting in San Antonio and Austin, which owned KLRU and KLRN and originally produced Austin City Limits, Member of the Board of Metrocrest Chamber of Commerce in Addison, Board Member of Addison Business Association, Board Member of Longview Economic Development Corporation and Chamber of Commerce, Board of Trustees of White Oak ISD and Board of Trustees of Kilgore College. Currently, on the Planning & Zoning Committee for the City of White Oak. Also volunteered with Habitat for Humanity for several years.

Last edited by Burnadell; 03-19-2019 at 11:04 PM.
Burnadell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2019, 06:31 AM   #67
Tex_Cattleman
Ten Point

Hunt In: ... a Gametamer or Double Bull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnadell View Post
I wish I had $5 for every hour I spent in a volunteer role over the years. I have volunteered for countless civic organizations including United Way in Dallas and Longview, Board Member of Alamo Area Council of the Boy Scouts in San Antonio and Finance Chairman of the Circle 10 Council Boy Scouts in Longview, Associate Board of the Baptist Memorial Hospital System in San Antonio, Board of Trustees of Southwest Public Broadcasting in San Antonio and Austin, which owned KLRU and KLRN and originally produced Austin City Limits, Member of the Board of Metrocrest Chamber of Commerce in Addison, Board Member of Addison Business Association, Board Member of Longview Economic Development Corporation and Chamber of Commerce, Board of Trustees of White Oak ISD and Board of Trustees of Kilgore College. Currently, on the Planning & Zoning Committee for the City of White Oak. Also volunteered with Habitat for Humanity for several years.
That's what I'm talkin' about Burnadell. Imagine what our communities would be like if half of the adults had that kind of dedication to helping others.
Tex_Cattleman is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2019, 07:06 AM   #68
Death from Above
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex_Cattleman View Post
That's what I'm talkin' about Burnadell. Imagine what our communities would be like if half of the adults had that kind of dedication to helping others.
This and I cannot imagine the impact Randy has had on his community and circle of friends.

I think he ought to run for office...Iíd vote for him

GoF 2020?
Death from Above is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2019, 07:10 AM   #69
ATI
Ten Point

Hunt In: TEXAS

I do "Habitat for Humanity" and "Rebuild Houston" volunteering to rebuild, repair and build homes.
ATI is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2019, 11:27 AM   #70
Burnadell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bee County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex_Cattleman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Death from Above View Post
This and I cannot imagine the impact Randy has had on his community and circle of friends.

I think he ought to run for office...I’d vote for him

GoF 2020?
Thank you gentlemen for the kind words. In full disclosure, I was in bank management in most of those years, and civic organizations seem to think that bankers should be on their boards for some reason. Frankly, it was gratifying but tiring. When I got out of banking, I severely limited my volunteer activities.
Burnadell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top