Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A clear look at the Covid death numbers (yes, another thread!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A clear look at the Covid death numbers (yes, another thread!)

There is a lot of confusion about new cases, confirmed cases, deaths and fatality percentages. This is due to sensational reporting and huge discrepancies in testing rates. It seems to me that when comparing states, the stat that matters most is the "deaths per million population.

Check out this chart. I have not heard our local or statewide media mention how far down the list Texas is in the "Deaths per million population" column. I figured it was low but it is shockingly so...

Truth doesn't matter, only fear and panic. Sad state of affairs.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Comment

You think they have a chart for flu death per million?

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
        There is a lot of confusion about new cases, confirmed cases, deaths and fatality percentages. This is due to sensational reporting and huge discrepancies in testing rates. It seems to me that when comparing states, the stat that matters most is the "deaths per million population.

Check out this chart. I have not heard our local or statewide media mention how far down the list Texas is in the "Deaths per million population" column. I figured it was low but it is shockingly so...

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/co...united-states/
        Yep, appears we are 12th from my view on deaths per million. Not bad for the second most populated state.

FL and CA aren't too bad either. First thought is Democratic states are the main reason for higher numbers but CA kind of blows that out of the water. Then I thought maybe climate is huge factor but Louisiana kind of blows that out of the water. Population density is the probably the biggest factor. Then you add in all of the shady folks doing the testing and manipulating the numbers to their benefit. But CA is still an outlier.

Comment

Originally posted by LWC View Post
          Yep, appears we are 12th from my view on deaths per million. Not bad for the second most populated state.
          Actually if you click on that column to sort it high to low, Texas is 41st with 32 deaths per million population

Comment

Deaths per million is one way to look at it but many in the press are making the claim that Covid-19 is deadlier than it is because there hasn't been enough people tested. AS more people are tested and shown to have had it and recovered the mortality rate will go down statistically- number deaths divided by number of confirmed cases times 100 gives mortality rate. The problem is that there seems to be a financial incentive to list deaths due to Corona virus when there is a difference between dying from corona virus and dying with corona virus. I don't mean to sound callous about it but the same population segment that are the most vulnerable to dying from the flu or pneumonia each year are the same segment that are the most vulnerable to corona virus but we all seem to bump around each year and get over the flu. I think once we have a good solid treatment for those that are sick with it or a vaccine that can be taken that gives everyone a false sense of security (how many have been vaccinated for the flu and end up getting it) then life will get back to normal.

Comment

There is no way those New York death numbers are remotely accurate. Smh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Actually if you click on that column to sort it high to low, Texas is 41st with 32 deaths per million population
                OK, thanks. I missed it by a few. By 12th I really meant 38th but I didn't look at it clear enough

Comment

Originally posted by Kingfisher789 View Post
                  You think they have a chart for flu death per million?
                  I didn't look fora chart but the far right says Texas 10 year average is 2,413 Flu deaths per year. 920 COVID deaths so far.

Comment

I don't know about other Texas cities but the DFW media never mentions how well Texas is doing in this battle as compared to other states. They only say things like "Covid-19 numbers continue to climb as Abbot eases restrictions."

Comment

I don't know about other Texas cities but the DFW media never mentions how well Texas is doing in this battle as compared to other states. They only say things like "Covid-19 numbers continue to climb as Abbot eases restrictions."
                      I think that is likely the same all over. I haven't seen too many positive news stories, period.

Fear sells!

Comment

as of today, 884 deaths in Texas due to Covid 19. Roughly 29 to 30 million people in this great state.

884 / low #29,000,000 = 0.00003048

That's your odds of dying.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	24616903

Diet alone kills more people in the US than even the worse case scenario for COVID.

Comment

Originally posted by JFISHER View Post
                            [ATTACH]1002571[/ATTACH]

Diet alone kills more people in the US than even the worse case scenario for COVID.
                            Well yeah sure, but obesity or poor diet isn’t a communicable disease.

Comment

Originally posted by mwk128 View Post
                              Well yeah sure, but obesity or poor diet isn’t a communicable disease.
                              Perhaps, unless you consider the BILLIONS paid (by food companies, fast food giants etc. to PHDs) to make foods literally more "addictive"...

Comment

Working...
                              X