Gleaton Chip Ranch Updates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bgleaton View Post
    The guy that was digging the pond actually found a real good bed of clay about 6ft below the current pond so that’s where they stopped and just made it wider. All we need now is some rain to help fill it back up.
    Thanks & Good luck!

Comment

I was able to get on the scoreboard and shot a doe this past weekend...1 down and 10-12 more to go.

We planted wheat, silver river clover, and little burr medic this past weekend. I broadcasted the wheat, mowed the fields, broadcasted the clover/medic, and then used the cultipacker over everything. I saw we got around 1/2in of rain last night so hopefully that’s enough to get it going over the next couple of weeks.

Comment

10/20/2019 Update

Here are some pictures of the work we did this past weekend. As you can see they were able to dig out our small pond and make it around 15ft deep.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9411 (Medium).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	24596382

Nice 4yr old blackbuck. We are going to let him go another year.

Name:	IMG_9417 (Medium).jpg
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	24596383

Here's a nice 3.5yr old buck:

Name:	IMG_9418 (Medium).jpg
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	24596384

Blackbuck walking to the feeder:

Name:	IMG_9422 (Medium).jpg
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	24596385

Name:	IMG_9446 (Medium).jpg
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	24596386

Here are two pictures of our South field. I spread 250lbs of wheat and then mowed the field. After I got done mowing the field I spread 2lbs of silver river clover and 2lbs of little burr medic and then cultipacked the field. This field is around 2-acres. This is the first time we've planted without disking so we will so how it works. We got 0.9in of rain the day after planting and then another 0.25in yesterday so hopefully that will give it a good start.

Name:	IMG_9459 (Medium).jpg
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	24596387

Name:	IMG_9460 (Medium).jpg
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	24596388

We planted our other 3-acre field in 50% wheat and the other 50% in silver river clover and little burr medic.

Comment

Looking good! I love the updates

Comment

Food Plot Pic - 11/9/2019

Name:	IMG_5762.jpg
Size:	163.9 KB
ID:	24599296

Here's a quick picture of the South field that I planted with winter wheat and silver river clover. The wheat is just starting to come up pretty well and the dead thatch has helped protect the seed from birds and from hotter/drier weather. We did not disk the fields this year, just broadcasted, mowed, and cultipacked over top. Hopefully we will continue to get rain.

Comment

Food Plot Pic - 11/9/2019

There were a bunch of deer in this field this past weekend.

Comment

Still looking good, Man.

Comment

We are going to try to reduce our blackbuck female population by half over Thanksgiving weekend. The population is growing so fast and they just stand at the feeder and eat all of the corn and protein. Going to try to keep 2-3 bucks and 2-3 females at most.

Comment

We are going to try to reduce our blackbuck female population by half over Thanksgiving weekend. The population is growing so fast and they just stand at the feeder and eat all of the corn and protein. Going to try to keep 2-3 bucks and 2-3 females at most.
                    Yup, they populate like crazy. It’s nice having something extra to look at, but a pain when they move in and eat everything

Comment

Buck Pictures

What do you guys think the ages are of these two bucks:

Name:	Buck Picture.jpg
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	24599477

Name:	Buck 2 Picture.jpg
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	24599478
                      Short brow tines!

We need to reduce our numbers this year by shooting 6 bucks and 9 more doe. We were thinking of removing these two bucks but wanted to get yalls opinion on their ages. Thanks!

Comment

Other Cull Bucks

Here are the other bucks we are after this year to help reduce our deer numbers:

Name:	Cull 8pt.jpg
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	24599479

Name:	High Rise.jpg
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	24599480

Name:	Other 8pt.jpg
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	24599481

We have history with all three of these bucks for the past 3 years.

Comment

Any guesses on age for the two bucks I posted above?

Comment

6/4 Both good candidates to be taken IMO

Comment

Any guesses on age for the two bucks I posted above?
                              I think 5+ and 4. If I was in your situation I wouldn’t lose any sleep shooting those two

Comment

Thanks guys! We also believe those two first two bucks need to go. We have 6 bucks to shoot this year so we are trying to take the worst bucks, 3yrs +, along with 10 doe to help bring our numbers down.

Comment

Working...
                                X