No announcement yet.

Dads and Motorcycles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just get a good term life for your kids. Figure at least $500k for each kid you have maybe more- do it even if you don’t ride

Comment

And accidents are based on the lugnut theory. I’ve only been wrong once that I can think of. One with the most lugnuts win. I’ve been to more accidents both fatal and non than most. Work highway in a large city at night. Only been wrong once and it was a Volvo vs F150

Comment

my whole family rides. i had a bike as an adult and was starting to learn. did some real thinking and came to same conclusions a lot of people above have. it's not about you anymore.

its not if you die or not. or the amount of life insurance. bc life moves on and most likely someone will step in and fill the voids when your gone.

it's the burden you cause if you don't die but have a catastrophic injury. the level of emotional stress you force on the ones that love you. your spouse signs up for being a caretaker, just like you for her, but your kids don't.

yes that is always a possibility in life, but i don't want to increase the chances. i was the caretaker for my wife through several close calls with cancer. my kids were still very young and i was able to shield most of everything from them. looking back on the worst times, i don't remember much about what i did or felt, but can still remember a couple times where i saw fear, heartbreak etc.. in my kids eyes in interacting with my wife. i would never try and increase the odds of that outcome.

everybody has stories of injuries, themselves, or a friend, coworker etc..

i ended up going with a jeep. doors and top off all the time. but still had seat belts and airbags. got the wind in my hair freedom but also a little safer. viewed it as a perfect compromise between the cagers and bikers.

i hope this comes across the same way as i'm trying to say it in my head. i have tons of respect for bikers and their choice to be one. i was just able to fill the stress relief/need for freedom with something i felt didn't' increase my odds of becoming a burden on my family.

Comment

The joys those rides will bring you. That great feeling you get inside as you start up the bike and head out on the road. The fun you will have as you hit a long lonesome stretch with some nice curves in it.....

I get it, but for me the joys I get from the laughs and giggles from my little kid running around the house playing "dinosaur" outweigh the above.

That being said, most likely you could easily have both and things will be fine. It doesn't have to be one or the other. As with most thing people "blow things out of proportion" without looking at actual data and statistics. But I don't care, I'm not planning on any motorcycling in the near future.

Comment

my 2cents.. when ur day comes ur day comes weather on a bike, at the deer lease, in a plane etc.. i have ridden my whole life and my 20 year old needs me as much now as she did at 6.. your kids always will need you.. enjoy the ride, ride smart, and prepare for any possibility.

Comment

I've been riding street bike since I was 19 and I'll turn 50 in a couple months. Very seldom do I "just go for a ride" but use the bike for commuting and my summer transportation. I usually do between 8,000-10,000 miles in a 5 month riding season. The only change I made when the kids came along was to start wearing a helmet and leathers. My oldest is a sophmore in college and my youngest is a senior in high school so I'm good there. I've crashed and I've hit a deer but as others have stated, it wasn't my time yet. Enjoy the bike if you decide to get it!

Comment

The people texting can get you anyplace any time
                Been riding since 1965.

A few years ago on a Large red Massy Ferguson tractor with slow moving emblem and flashing yellow lights, back road 30 mph speed limit.

Lady in a mini van texting rear ended me hard, rolling me and the tractor, totaled her van
                busted me up pretty bad, would have been killed if not for the ROPS.

In traffic and on the highway I started watching people and noticing how many folks are doing digital while driving, It is scary.

My kids are raised, but I sold the bike, Have grand children that I want to enjoy for a few more years.

Comment

Originally posted by Rescue1 View Post
                  my whole family rides. i had a bike as an adult and was starting to learn. did some real thinking and came to same conclusions a lot of people above have. it's not about you anymore.

its not if you die or not. or the amount of life insurance. bc life moves on and most likely someone will step in and fill the voids when your gone.

it's the burden you cause if you don't die but have a catastrophic injury. the level of emotional stress you force on the ones that love you. your spouse signs up for being a caretaker, just like you for her, but your kids don't.

yes that is always a possibility in life, but i don't want to increase the chances. i was the caretaker for my wife through several close calls with cancer. my kids were still very young and i was able to shield most of everything from them. looking back on the worst times, i don't remember much about what i did or felt, but can still remember a couple times where i saw fear, heartbreak etc.. in my kids eyes in interacting with my wife. i would never try and increase the odds of that outcome.

everybody has stories of injuries, themselves, or a friend, coworker etc..

i ended up going with a jeep. doors and top off all the time. but still had seat belts and airbags. got the wind in my hair freedom but also a little safer. viewed it as a perfect compromise between the cagers and bikers.

i hope this comes across the same way as i'm trying to say it in my head. i have tons of respect for bikers and their choice to be one. i was just able to fill the stress relief/need for freedom with something i felt didn't' increase my odds of becoming a burden on my family.
                  Well said sir.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Comment

Get a boat for the wind in your face!

It doesn't matter how safe you are, if some dumb #ss pulls out in front of you on a motorcycle you will not walk away. It doesn't matter how safe you are its the other guys you got to worry about!
                    Last edited by Killer; 12-13-2018, 05:28 PM.

Comment

I rode..a lot as a kid and young adult. It is also my concern that you have no motorcycle background. Only the best adopts 3 after so many. We need good guys. I vote no bro. If you do...be Really careful..modern traffic too crazy

Comment

I don’t think it’s worth it. I stopped riding because the risk stopped outweighing the reward. In your case you have a lot of risk, so to be worth it you’d need alot of reward.

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
                          You'll get a lot of feedback from guys with children that ride and haven't had an accident that tell you it's perfectly fine.
                          You won't hear much from the guys with kids that ride, whose kids have to visit them at the cemetary....those guys are not dependable for advice.
                          You might hear from someone that has kids and chose to ride who now has to **** in a bag, talks with his eyelids or eats through a crazy-straw....that's the guy you should listen to.

It is a personal choice. Don't have us help you make stupid decisions.

I joke, mostly. If you ride enough, you will crash eventually. If you walk away, awesome. If you end up dead, your kids are gonna be devastated.
                          What Curt said...

Many know that I'm an ER trauma nurse in Dallas... If I told you even a few the stories of the injuries I've seen from motorcycle crashes that I've personally been involved in saving the lives of and sadly, trying like hell unsuccessfully to save the lives of, you would never want to swing your leg over a bike again...

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
                            You'll get a lot of feedback from guys with children that ride and haven't had an accident that tell you it's perfectly fine.

You won't hear much from the guys with kids that ride, whose kids have to visit them at the cemetary....those guys are not dependable for advice.

You might hear from someone that has kids and chose to ride who now has to **** in a bag, talks with his eyelids or eats through a crazy-straw....that's the guy you should listen to.

It is a personal choice. Don't have us help you make stupid decisions.

I joke, mostly. If you ride enough, you will crash eventually. If you walk away, awesome. If you end up dead, your kids are gonna be devastated.

I'm not agreeing with you on this just because I've been in a pillow fight with you[emoji15]
                            I'm agreeing because you are correct. I've had several street bikes over the years and sold my last one in 2003..... I'll admit that every once in a while I really miss riding...... I'm done, I'd rather concentrate on being in one piece

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm 38 with 3 boys i forget I even have a bike in my shed, it's been parked since shortly after my first was born coming up on 9 years, wow! I worked hard to buy a bike and I was pretty into riding, but my interests changed and it just became impractical for me never knowing when I'd have to pick a sick or hurt kid up from school or daycare.
                              I bought a small boat we could enjoy as a family or with my buddies. Most of the guys I rode with have gotten away from street bikes citing the increase in distracted drivers on phones. Not sure I'll get back on it, a built up jeep seems more enticing these days.
                              Never had any close calls that weren't my fault. I drive about 35k miles a year for work and play in trucks but between I've had my bell rung 3 times getting rear ended in my truck and work vehicles and I'm not afraid to admit I'm too nervous to get hit on two wheels to get back out there. Never saw it coming.
                              Beyond that, I've had whole and partial semi tires fly by next to me, iand slap the bumper, smoked a deer a Turkey and geese.
                              I just read the other day that millenials are not buying motorcycles and overall sales are not what they once were.

Comment

Sold mine when we had our son. Wasn't riding as much as I was before, and everytime I went I had that extra thought him and my wife in my head. What used to be fun and relaxing became more stressful.

My fear was never what I would do, but what others around me that weren't paying attention would do. It just wasn't worth it to me at this point.

Comment

Working...
                                X