Dad’s Kenner Rebuild thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dad’s Kenner Rebuild thread

Dad and I went in halves on this boat when I was in the 5th grade. That was 2005. 1997 Kenner 19 tunnel hull with a 96 Johnson 88 spl.

First time we put her in the saltwater, was 2007 for warriors weekend. We turned off on the second cut heading south in the ICW in Port O’Connor. Inexperienced, we didn’t know we had to make the big curve with the channel markers and planted her in 2” of water!

July 4th 2015, we were running the upper Laguna mandre when the helm stripped out and we had no steering. I punched it over a spoil island and shut it down in the middle of the ICW. Flagged a friend down to tow us into bluffs landing for some lunch And then back to Whitecap to park her on the trailer.

Sat under an oak tree for the last 6 years, but today she fired! And that's all I needed to hear to know we would RIDE AGAIN!

[emoji482]here’s to another project. Just what the doctor ordered

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m in! Best of luck, should be awesome

Comment

Only game fish we caught in port O’Connor that weekend!

Comment

Hell yes! Saw your other thread. This one has a lot of promise.

Comment

Tore out the center console and tried to get all the leaves out..

She will be getting all new wiring, new steering cable and helm, and most likely some new gel coat or some finish material we have not agreed upon yet!

In the spirit of the boat, BobG is paying for half of everything, and doing the supervising, from his lawn chair of course.

I’ll take some better pics tomorrow!

Comment

If the fuel tank is still good, make sure to replace ALL of the fittings and down spout into the tank.

Comment

Heck yea man. Awesome project. Hope y’all can get it back on the water.

But them shorts though. I sure hope you don’t have them anymore!!!!

Comment

I'm so excited - I'm up at 4 am to see if he made any progress through the night...
                Actually wish that was the case - really getting my conditioning in for future early morning adventures...
                Old men - we a way of enjoying the early peaceful mornings and then long afternoon naps...
                I've got to say we've had a lot of projects the past few years - this is long overdue...
                Thanks Reed - for all you do...

tending the fire,
                Bob G.

Comment

Originally posted by bowfishin fool View Post

Tore out the center console and tried to get all the leaves out..

She will be getting all new wiring, new steering cable and helm, and most likely some new gel coat or some finish material we have not agreed upon yet!

In the spirit of the boat, BobG is paying for half of everything, and doing the supervising, from his lawn chair of course.

I’ll take some better pics tomorrow!

One thing is for sure--that boat is NOT in Midland. Good luck with everything.

Comment

CHECK that Transom...common issue

Comment

you have to admire the tenacity

Comment

Wow, what a project! Good luck with making her come alive again.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

I have a 1998 Kenner 21' with 200 Mercury that I purchased about 2000 from a TBH'r. She still runs great. Looking forward to this thread.

Comment

in

Comment

I love things like this. It makes it almost seem more fun to buy an older boat that needs to serious attention than to just run out a plop down big coin on a newer one. Seems to me that once you bring them home they all need work. Keep the progress photos coming! Really want to know what the overcoat is going to be!

Comment

Working...
                              X