Heavy arrow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heavy arrow

I have messing around with extreme foc and heavy weight arrows. I had some components laying around like 4 340 spined arrows with 75gr inserts i used those then i 2 part epoxied a 300 gr field point into a 145 gr glue on zwickey. Now just the weight out front is somewhere near 527 grains. End weight was 842 grains and shoots like a dart. As long as i keep it around 20 and under yards i dont notice a drop in trajectory. And ive never heard my bow quieter. These aernt practical but they sure are fun to mess with

Last edited by DWA; 04-26-2017, 03:31 AM.

Holy cow! Is that enough spine strength to safely handle that kind of weight out front?

Comment

It's a 340 spine Easton nemesis and it's actually just a touch over spined for the setup and my 50-pound recurve when i bare shafted.

Comment

There are not many critters out there that could put a stop to that arrow!!!

Bisch

Comment

Originally posted by DWA View Post
          It's a 340 spine Easton nemesis and it's actually just a touch over spined for the setup and my 50-pound recurve when i bare shafted.
          Ahh, I see. Have you put a calculator to it yet to see how much momentum it's producing?

Comment

yikes!! That's a heavy one! Bet it THUMPS when you hit something!

Comment

I usually use a ping pong ball to a golf ball as an analogy for lite vs heavy arrows. You Sir, have a steel ball bearing in comparison. Ouch!! (:-0}

Comment

I use 5 gr per inch weight tubes in my gold tips to get my arrow weight to around 615 gr. With a 175 gr zwickey. I like to shoot heavy arrows too.

Comment

Just for giggles, you ought to post something about this on Archery Talk in the traditional forum. I was doing some reading there last night and there were guys saying that they are shooting 600 and 700 spine arrows cut at about 30 inches out of 45 pound bows. I use 400s with close to 250 up front on 50 pound bows. They never did explain how they got the total arrow weight up to a safe level.

Have you done a total arrow weight calculation? I'm not believing that you are not seeing a lot of drop. Shoot those things for about fifteen minutes then pick up a normal weighted arrow and I'll bet you will start hitting six to eight inches higher until your brain compensates. I notice immediately when I grab an arrow that is a hundred grains more than normal. It's is like I am trying to shoot a broom stick.

Comment

I see now...842. I'll bet that it is quiet. Until it hits.

Comment

Practical schmactical...you are my hero. Pretty please!...Kill something with that setup...heck...Ill put put you on a hog trail and push some Granger hogs to you.

What is your draw and what is your arrow length?
                      Last edited by Briar Friar; 04-27-2017, 09:37 PM. Reason: PluralPiggySpake

Comment

I havent really check but was 28.5 to 29 compund shooter. That arrow i believe is close to 28.5. Not including my epoxied head.

Comment

I run 31" 340s w/ 145points 75gr insert on a Polar 49@28. Im drawing 27-28"ish even though my actual dl is 31.5-32". Ive tried the same arrows with 300gr heads and the flight was extremely erratic. I shoot all uncut arrows. I was just interested for comparison purposes.

Comment

Originally posted by Briar Friar View Post
                            I run 31" 340s w/ 145points 75gr insert on a Polar 49@28. Im drawing 27-28"ish even though my actual dl is 31.5-32". Ive tried the same arrows with 300gr heads and the flight was extremely erratic. I shoot all uncut arrows. I was just interested for comparison purposes.
                            I would bet my bottom dollar that those arrows are too stiff for that bow if all the numbers you posted are accurate!

Bisch

Comment

It is fun. I've got a couple arrows I've played around with and got them shooting good at 700+ grains. If I ever encounter a giant hog I'll give them a try!

Comment

Working...
                              X