How long did it take?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How long did it take?

I have shot a three fingered glove for many years. I feel comfortable with them but I have read many people achieve greater accuracy with a tab. I have bought a few tabs over the years and tried to shoot with them but just never could get used to a tab and always went back to the glove. Maybe I never gave it enough time.

1. How long did it take to get used to a tab?

2. Do you recommend the ones with the divider or a tab with no divider?

Difference is three under vs split finger.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

1. About a dozen arrows. Take a deep hook on the string, makes a difference.
      2. I shoot split with a divider. MY preference has been a Bateman, cheap and easy to find.

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
        Difference is three under vs split finger.

I what regard? I shoot a split finger tab, 3 under. It is personal preference.

Comment

Try shooting a solid tab split finger. Don't think it'll be as easy.

Comment

Originally posted by 76aggie View Post
            1. How long did it take to get used to a tab?
            I got used to it immediately, but I started out using a tab. I haven't bothered trying a glove long term, because the tab works well for me. I think it gives me a smoother release. I also don't like fiddling with a glove and I can just slip the tab off or flip it out of the way.

On the flip side, going from a tab to a glove; I used a glove for bow fishing and I didn't have any problems with it. But at the same time, I wasn't really paying attention to it while on the boat; there were other things to concentrate on.

2. Do you recommend the ones with the divider or a tab with no divider?
            I personally use the one that is split with a protruding divider. I like that even though I shoot 3 under because it gives me something to grip the tab with and have a consistent finger set to the tab.

I *think* the trend I see is that folks who shoot split and a tab tend to run into issues the most. If I shot split, I am not sure I'd like the tab. In fact when I have tried split... I think I hated it more because of the tab than if I were to use a glove. That is of course just an opinion... plenty of folks shoot a tab split.
            Last edited by SwampRabbit; 04-10-2017, 02:55 PM.

Comment

Try shooting a solid tab split finger. Don't think it'll be as easy.

I think you have bigger problems if you have to actually try it before figuring out that THAT won't work.
              Last edited by SwampRabbit; 04-10-2017, 02:54 PM.

Comment

Okay. Well a square is a rectangle but a rectangle isn't a square.

Comment

If you use a solid tab trying to shoot split fingers the piece of tab between your index and middle finger pushes on the side of the nock while the arrow is on the string. Then you realize you bought the wrong one. You take a razor blade and trim it out. Too small of a piece removed and it pinches the nock. Eventually you trim too much and it won't sit right on your index finger causing blister.

I started out shooting recurve bows. It was long ago but remember the bad experiences.

Comment

Here is some anecdotal observation. Out of the couple hundered elementary aged kids I have introduced to shooting; it seems half of them can't figure out a tab. period. They just struggle with it. Doesn't matter if it is 3 under or split. In the back of my mind I think "yep, you'd be a glove shooter " But gloves aren't provided with the program. The other half can figure it out just fine and it works well for them. I introduce them to 3 finger under and about half of them go straight to split... not matter what I told them 5 minutes ago. It is all about making it fun, so I don't push either and only address it if they have problems yanking the arrow off the string; but it is interesting to see how at a young impressionable age with not a lot of exposure... how much preference already exists.

Comment

If you use a solid tab trying to shoot split fingers the piece of tab between your index and middle finger pushes on the side of the nock while the arrow is on the string. Then you realize you bought the wrong one. You take a razor blade and trim it out. Too small of a piece removed and it pinches the nock. Eventually you trim too much and it won't sit right on your index finger causing blister.

I started out shooting recurve bows. It was long ago but remember the bad experiences.

I was wondering if the solid-tab-for-split grip mention reflected actual experience.

Comment

Bad experience is usually the best teacher.

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
                          I shoot a split finger tab, 3 under. It is personal preference.
                          X2

Comment

I shoot split with a tab without a divider. I took me a couple days to really get used to it. Once I started settling in my accuracy increased because I feel I get a better release.
                            Fwiw, I've never heard of anyone trying to shoot split with a solid tab. That goes against anything that would resemble common sense.

Comment

It's all personal preference! You might be one of those guys that just never likes a tab as much as a glove. I started with a glove. I went on an out of state hunt with my glove. It was veeeeeery wet and I could not get off the string. Tre guy I was hunting with gave me a tab, and I have never looked back!

Bisch

Comment

Working...
                              X